Home

2k17 gameplay is just on another level

This is a discussion on 2k17 gameplay is just on another level within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-06-2021, 04:35 AM   #1
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

OVR: 3
2k17 gameplay is just on another level

I went back and played 2k17 this week on default HOF with a couple edits and the gameplay is amazing and way more realistic than what we have now. Way better than any 2k IMO for offline sim gameplay. The CPU plays very smart. Makes the open pass and they take tons of 3s. The good defenders can really lock you up. If you don't have elite offensive stars, you will need to run different plays quite often to score.

The spacing is way better. Not a ton of wasted movements or brain dead moments. Defense is fun and challenging. If you have a defensive athletic superstar, it is so fun to play with him. Chase down blocks feel amazing, as well as locking someone up on the wing. There is charging fouls and jump shooting fouls every game, which is something you will not see in the current gen games after it. The movement is miles better than any game after it imo. Players use correct awareness around the 3 point line making sure they stay behind it before they shoot the ball. Sometimes even stepping back without hesitation.

Everything just feels like real basketball, playing like the Duncan spurs and moving the ball feels incredible in this game due to correct spacing and AI awareness and defensive AI reactions. You can chain a 10 pass sequence together and hit a cutter and it not only looks real, it feels like thats exactly what should physically happen. This obviously takes lots of different variables to replicate realistically in a video game, and 2k17 does it brilliantly.

The game is only $1 at gamestop. just an fyi for people who want a really sim gameplay offline experience. Only problem is updating rosters if you care about all that. I do, and will be doing lots of editing.

Last edited by caseyj622; 02-06-2021 at 04:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: 2k17 gameplay is just on another level

Glad you are enjoying it. Important part is you're having fun.

2K17 for me was my least favorite of this gen.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 02-06-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

I still think offline 2k18 was the best. You could really move the ball, get the defense on their hills and attack the rotations. The best momentum 'physics' in all 2ks imo.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

same. 18 was trash, too. 18 made me quit 2k haha.

-Smak
Old 02-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #5
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

Interesting. Why was it your least favorite?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #6
Pro

Vroman's Arena

OVR: 0

Only reason I've hated 2k17 was because it came after 2k16 and it was just inferior basketball game in general. But in retrospective now it was a much better than 2k19-2k21 games by far.
Even nba 2k14 old gen that i play on PC with mods is really great experience and I doubt 2k gonna produce anything better anymore.

Last edited by Vroman; 02-06-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj622
I went back and played 2k17 this week on default HOF with a couple edits and the gameplay is amazing and way more realistic than what we have now. Way better than any 2k IMO for offline sim gameplay. The CPU plays very smart. Makes the open pass and they take tons of 3s. The good defenders can really lock you up. If you don't have elite offensive stars, you will need to run different plays quite often to score.

The spacing is way better. Not a ton of wasted movements or brain dead moments. Defense is fun and challenging. If you have a defensive athletic superstar, it is so fun to play with him. Chase down blocks feel amazing, as well as locking someone up on the wing. There is charging fouls and jump shooting fouls every game, which is something you will not see in the current gen games after it. The movement is miles better than any game after it imo. Players use correct awareness around the 3 point line making sure they stay behind it before they shoot the ball. Sometimes even stepping back without hesitation.

Everything just feels like real basketball, playing like the Duncan spurs and moving the ball feels incredible in this game due to correct spacing and AI awareness and defensive AI reactions. You can chain a 10 pass sequence together and hit a cutter and it not only looks real, it feels like thats exactly what should physically happen. This obviously takes lots of different variables to replicate realistically in a video game, and 2k17 does it brilliantly.

The game is only $1 at gamestop. just an fyi for people who want a really sim gameplay offline experience. Only problem is updating rosters if you care about all that. I do, and will be doing lots of editing.
Yea I know it's unpopular but it's the one I continue to go back to and have the most fun.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

It's funny, I know somebody over on NLSC who insists that the game he has enjoyed, had the most fun with playing, and gave him the best gameplay was 2K17.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »