Home

A new way to do regression

This is a discussion on A new way to do regression within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
A new way to do regression

Madden has wanted to keep users in control in how everything about their teams develop. We see this in the way progression works where we get to decide how players progress picking which archetype to increase. Regression is a fairly standard affair where we know when players start to regress where there is little deviation. Free agency has a very transparent system where we see where we stand in signing players using a points system. I believe this is to keep randomness out of online franchises so users are all on a level playing field.

My idea would be to apply regression the same way we use upgrades. We can choose which archetype to regress. At the end of the season (or if you want to make it really interesting after major injuries) you get to choose which archetype to regress. Depending on age and dev trait you can get either 0 through 5 regression points.

Of course it could be taken advantage of since a lot of players will avoid reducing stats that will decrease the all important speed position but those players will become more and more one dimensional. A deep threat WR may not lose speed but his route running may take an even bigger hit or catching ratings, elusiveness etc depending on which archetype to regress. Qbs would be most interesting. Deciding whether to keep throw power, accuracy, or mobility creates unique decisions the user gets to make.

There would still be some randomness to it same as progressing players. It would also create another offseason task we can partake in after the season. I think this idea fits what EA envisions franchise mode to be.

Is this something you would like to see implanted? Anything that would make it better? Is it terrible? What are your thoughts?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: A new way to do regression

If it was me I would have an age range for each position, like RB tend to regress earlier and QBs much later so a RB regression age range might be between 28-32 and QB might be between 33-38. Each player is randomly assigned a regression age in their positions range. But different things can affect this, if they reach superstar or xfactor their regression age would increase. If they have a major injury it could lower that age or cause an immediate one time regression.

Performance could affect it also, if a RB rushes for 1000+ even if he's at that regression age he might not regress or only lose a point or 2. Likewise is a RB has a high amount of touches then he will possibly regress sooner and faster. If a QB throws a high number of picks then he could immediately regress a few points or if he takes a high number if sacks his regression age may lower.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #3
Rookie

The Senator's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A new way to do regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjay82
If it was me I would have an age range for each position, like RB tend to regress earlier and QBs much later so a RB regression age range might be between 28-32 and QB might be between 33-38. Each player is randomly assigned a regression age in their positions range. But different things can affect this, if they reach superstar or xfactor their regression age would increase. If they have a major injury it could lower that age or cause an immediate one time regression.

Performance could affect it also, if a RB rushes for 1000+ even if he's at that regression age he might not regress or only lose a point or 2. Likewise is a RB has a high amount of touches then he will possibly regress sooner and faster. If a QB throws a high number of picks then he could immediately regress a few points or if he takes a high number if sacks his regression age may lower.
This is a great idea, and would go a long way towards better replicating the patterns of individual careers. In a way it reminds me of how in UFC career modes, you can end up shortening your career by taking too much damage in fights. Just as high performing athletes can find ways to extend their effective prime at times, overworking players will also yield consequences, and injuries should absolutely play a huge role here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »