Home

Can we get voice chat back?

This is a discussion on Can we get voice chat back? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

OVR: 0
Can we get voice chat back?

Man, talk about ways to kill a community, but removing the ability to talk to the other player in 2020 is some next level decision making.

I could understand this in the past but really there is absolutely no excuse for removing it.

You’ve taken away any chance of people connecting in unranked matches and talking throughout a match. I made quite a lot of sparring partner friends in this past. Now it’s just people spamming the same words that y’all determined were important.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2020, 05:20 AM   #2
EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

TapOrSnap's Arena

Re: Can we get voice chat back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Monkman
Man, talk about ways to kill a community, but removing the ability to talk to the other player in 2020 is some next level decision making.

I could understand this in the past but really there is absolutely no excuse for removing it.

You’ve taken away any chance of people connecting in unranked matches and talking throughout a match. I made quite a lot of sparring partner friends in this past. Now it’s just people spamming the same words that y’all determined were important.
It's not due to people who want to have a civil conversation or technical limitations that voice chat is disabled. As you frequent forums you must be aware of the kind of lowest common denominator behavior which can occur when one has the anonymity of the internet to hide behind.

As the console manufacturers have included the ability to selectively start voice chats with individuals of your choosing there is little reason for game devs to start streaming the unsolicited and often unpleasant ravings of complete strangers into your home.

Unfortunately this is a situation where the behavior of a certain percentage of the community means no one gets to have voice chat.

Another benefit of the curated message system is that it is localized such that if you send a greeting to your opponent it will be displayed to them in their language.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap
It's not due to people who want to have a civil conversation or technical limitations that voice chat is disabled. As you frequent forums you must be aware of the kind of lowest common denominator behavior which can occur when one has the anonymity of the internet to hide behind.

As the console manufacturers have included the ability to selectively start voice chats with individuals of your choosing there is little reason for game devs to start streaming the unsolicited and often unpleasant ravings of complete strangers into your home.

Unfortunately this is a situation where the behavior of a certain percentage of the community means no one gets to have voice chat.

Another benefit of the curated message system is that it is localized such that if you send a greeting to your opponent it will be displayed to them in their language.
I literally grew up playing EA sports boxing games, getting told to eat **** and die was part of the experience. But I also met many lifelong gamer friends that I still play ufc with. Except we can’t talk now unless we start a party, which is dumb.

I realize you want to curate a “safe space” because y’all are the PC police now but I don’t know of many other games taking away the ability to chat to other players.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
MVP

I dont get it tho? You could mute people you didnt want to hear.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Monkman
I literally grew up playing EA sports boxing games, getting told to eat **** and die was part of the experience. But I also met many lifelong gamer friends that I still play ufc with. Except we can’t talk now unless we start a party, which is dumb.

I realize you want to curate a “safe space” because y’all are the PC police now but I don’t know of many other games taking away the ability to chat to other players.
Don't say you've REALLY played Fight Night if you haven't been told to eat doodoo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
I have personally never had a good experience with anyone playing EA UFC online.

The only people I've ever heard with their mic on is trolls, and people like that RBalboa, who just repeats the same "trash talk" over and over and over and over and over and over and over on mic.

I've had people playing music extremely loud directly into their mic.

Never had anyone be friendly, ever.

And the worst part is, youd have to wait till in between rounds to mute them, so the whole first round is annoying af. I'm personally good on all that.
Knocking those people out or grinding their nose into the dirt is the satisfying part of the game.

Voice chat is still in the game because I heard a guy talking the other day at the beginning of our match, so idk what they did other then have a delayed mute.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:

As the console manufacturers have included the ability to selectively start voice chats with individuals of your choosing there is little reason for game devs to start streaming the unsolicited and often unpleasant ravings of complete strangers into your house
I just dont understand why this is a big deal. You can mute someone you dont wanna hear from. Heck why not have opponents muted on default and allow us to choose whether or not to let people talk to us? Sometimes you find some cool people on the other side of the mic and that’s impossible to know with the current system.

Honestly it a lot of decisions made by the team have been about removing agency from players and that’s always extremely disappointing in video games. Please allow us to choose our experiences vs thinking y’all know what’s best for us. (Things like lack of voice chat, lack of caf stat editing, inability to transition at will when opp postures up, forcing us to play against Cafs in ranked, no sliders or at least a simulation mode available for online, no shorts selection)
Old 01-03-2021, 10:02 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:

Yeah, I appreciate you actually giving a response on this topic, but imo it's an atrocious one. Not blaming you, but that reasoning is just plain awful. Muting is a thing. You could even just let people toggle voice chat off in settings as a global rule, so that they are never hearing the other player.

This isn't a situation where you are either forced to hear everyone or never hear anyone at all. There is a middle ground, but it doesn't seem like it has been considered. Inviting people into a voice chat/party chat is fine when you are friends with the person you're playing with, but in a game like this, that doesn't really ring true at all. Party chats are great for people who are playing with friends they already have, but when it comes to making new connections with other players, it kinda sucks.

I think the curated message system is cool, but honestly, it got stale really quickly. Most of the messages are similar in meaning, and it's the same thing every match. It would be nice if there was some sort of taunting option in those messages. For a fighting game, it's strange that all the options are about 'respect' and 'great fight', while there's no option for a 'You suck' or even a simple 'Gottcha'. I would say it's like we're fighting in a toddler's MMA league, but that wouldn't be true. Even the toddlers would be using way harsher expressions than we have available.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »