Home

Madden looks worse on HDR next gen??

This is a discussion on Madden looks worse on HDR next gen?? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Madden looks worse on HDR next gen??

Not sure if it's just me but I have a Samsung Q70T it does 4k 120hz but when I turn HDR off on the XBOX Madden Looks better?!??! Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Mods: If this is the wrong area please move to appropriate forum.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #2
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden looks worse on HDR next gen??

That's because the Q70T really isn't a great HDR TV. It only does about 450 nits of brightness - some people consider OLEDs "dim" and they do 780 nits of peak HDR brightness.

So yeah substandard HDR display will get you a substandard HDR experience

Have to go with at very least a Q80T if not Q90T for a true HDR experience. I'd recommend an LG CX OLED over any of the junk Samsung put out this year though as Samsung's game mode significantly neuters image quality in game mode where as LG OLEDs do not.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

Madden's HDR always sucks but it looks rough on next gen
Old 12-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
MVP

Thanks for the info!! Question seems like you know your stuff lol! I got a good deal on the TV it was a black Friday for 799. The other TVs are great but over my budget. The main reason I got this was for the 120hz panel and the HDMI 2.1. Considering the HDR quality sucks should I return the TV and go with one that's cheaper that isn't 4k 120hz. I honestly only play Madden and 2k so I'm not even sure if the 120hz matters in those games.
Basically should I return the TV and get something like the VIZIO M7 or the TCLR635 or the 5 series.
Thanks any input would be great. I can also put it this way if your in my shoes and have the series X and only play sports games what TV would you buy with a 700 budget.

Thanks for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
That's because the Q70T really isn't a great HDR TV. It only does about 450 nits of brightness - some people consider OLEDs "dim" and they do 780 nits of peak HDR brightness.

So yeah substandard HDR display will get you a substandard HDR experience

Have to go with at very least a Q80T if not Q90T for a true HDR experience. I'd recommend an LG CX OLED over any of the junk Samsung put out this year though as Samsung's game mode significantly neuters image quality in game mode where as LG OLEDs do not.

Last edited by Ram209; 12-14-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Thanks for the info!! Question seems like you know your stuff lol! I got a good deal on the TV it was a black Friday for 799. The other TVs are great but over my budget. The main reason I got this was for the 120hz panel and the HDMI 2.1. Considering the HDR quality sucks should I return the TV and go with one that's cheaper that isn't 4k 120hz. I honestly only play Madden and 2k so I'm not even sure if the 120hz matters in those games.
Basically should I return the TV and get something like the VIZIO M7 or the TCLR635 or the 5 series.
Thanks any input would be great. I can also put it this way if your in my shoes and have the series X and only play sports games what TV would you buy with a 700 budget.

Thanks for your help!

At a $800 budget you would be hard pressed to find something with good HDR. Definitely don't buy the TCL 5 series. The 6 series does good HDR, but there are a lot of panel quality issues. I would stay away from it because of that.

I also don't like Vizio, but that is more of personal preference seeing as how I went through three of them with horrible panel issues.

I would consider looking into Sony. You can find some good deals. I have the X900F and it does great HDR. But it's around 1K or so.

Maybe someone else can chime in and recommend a good HDR TV at the $700 price point, but I just can't think of one right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
MVP

Thanks for the info! If I didn't want to play using HDR( Seems like to get a good TV will be out of my budget) my next question is should I stick to my Q70T or get something cheaper because I would not notice that much of a difference playing in "non hdr"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
At a $800 budget you would be hard pressed to find something with good HDR. Definitely don't buy the TCL 5 series. The 6 series does good HDR, but there are a lot of panel quality issues. I would stay away from it because of that.

I also don't like Vizio, but that is more of personal preference seeing as how I went through three of them with horrible panel issues.

I would consider looking into Sony. You can find some good deals. I have the X900F and it does great HDR. But it's around 1K or so.

Maybe someone else can chime in and recommend a good HDR TV at the $700 price point, but I just can't think of one right now.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
Rookie

XxStew21xx's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31

I got my TCL 43' 4k HDR on a black friday deal for $160.

Looks great. Very impressed.

Maybe it's different for the bigger sizes ? Idk
Old 12-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

HDR looks fantastic on my Sony. Always just depends on the TV.

Even some of the more expensive sets don’t present the games well in HDR. Not every $1000+ TV will look great and not every sub $1000 TV will look bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »