Home

Guide to Avoiding and Countering Pressure Fighting (With Video)

This is a discussion on Guide to Avoiding and Countering Pressure Fighting (With Video) within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-09-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Guide to Avoiding and Countering Pressure Fighting (With Video)

Okay, so this has been a long time coming. Ya boi took a lil break from the forums and has labbed countless strategies on how to counteract pressure fighting. I myself play opposite the meta and try to implement counter fighting wherever possible so these tips are coming from someone that actively uses these skills.

Head Movement (and Stamina) - So I really don't find much issue (aside from a few middling gripes) with the stamina system. However, I know a lot of people are bad with making people pay for lobbing bombs. Everyone knows about the blocking head movement and even though they nerfed the stamina drain you can still use it to effectively drain stamina. Most people make the same basic mistakes: they either wobble their head all over the place or lean in one direction. The best way to make them miss is to use the head movement like Mike Tyson. You weave side to duck to opposite side and vice versa. I tend to slip toward the power hand because you aren't likely to fight someone leading with rear hooks. I almost never start with the duck because even if you block you take big damage and are likely to get KO'd. You don't really want to incorporate back sways too much because you can't block (straights and overhands will end you) and your body is now open for big shots, almost always leading to a rock after two hooks. You weave just enough to get their stamina down and for your head to recover, then go back to lateral movement. It is likely that will eat some shots, but you will evade many of them, which is enough to help you survive.

VIDEO - https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/69a9d...c-69eb27d0e854

What most people don't know is you also get immediate entries into the clinch if you slip a strike. You'll either go into over under, single collar, or even back clinch depending on the strike you slip. The timing is very lenient and you'll have enough time to recover while you push them away for the break (or go for a takedown). Many don't expect this because no one does it and often leads to an immediate takedown or strikes. It is THE counter to mindless pressure. You have to make sure you slip the correct shot or you will extend your arm like an idiot and get KO'd. It takes some practice. Combined with the weaving head movement it can be a game changer, but I tend to move more deliberately when trying to get the clinch.

VIDEO - https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/8fa4b...d-76b7ea868efc

L1 + Back on Right Stick Lunge - This one is a great addition to the game. You will hop out of the way of any head strike when using this one at the proper distance (anywhere but clinch/elbow range, if you do it from this range your distance will shorten and you'll get clobbered). I like to use it preemptively on most occasions trying to cause a whiff and maintain distance rather than counter off it immediately. You should learn their patterns before trying to go for the counter punch because you cannot counter if you have block held. It takes some dexterity and skill to let go of block and get the right timing on the lunge without getting caught in a hit stun or doing the minor back lunge instead. It is often better to register the lunge from range and come in with a straight punch counter.

VIDEO - This technique is used in some of the later videos.

Leg Kicks - Leg kicks are so underused it's embarrassing. Not only do they get people to low block (opening head shot selection), it decreases their power by up to 25% and eliminates their GA so their takedowns are now almost useless. There is an art to effective leg kicking and it will be difficult at first to use against pressure fighters because they tend to bullrush through the kick. But, there are a couple things to help out:

First. you need to get good with the lead leg kick when they're on the move forward. If you time this right you will cause a hit stun and stop their movement completely. It's not something you can use all the time, but if they are constantly leading with the same strikes you can get the stun pretty consistently. To perform it you stand still and press the lead kick right as you think they will begin their strike. It takes some reading of patterns and some guesswork, but effective nonetheless.

VIDEO - https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/675c8...d-d85a8af1814f

You can also jab them and immediately throw the kick while moving backwards to cause the same effect or land the kick from safety.

VIDEO - https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/93d82...e-163f9669ef04

Another good kick is the push kick to the leg. You can back away and throw the kick to stunt someone's forward momentum. It can stop some strikes, but the main strength of this tool is that you don't need to intercept a strike for a hit stun. Your opponent simply walking forward is enough to buckle them. Even if you miss, you're so far away it doesn't matter.

VIDEO - https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/91f38...a-8d5fbc05c487

Second. you should almost always angle off toward a side when you kick. I like to see what they lead with and angle to the opposite side. Most people lead with a jab or lead hook so I will circle toward the power hand. Basically, you pick any shot that combos with the rear leg kick, move forward while hitting them with the first one shot and move sideways when you throw the kick. This also gets you the damage while keeping you mobile to avoid damage and puts you out of range of some strikes. You might take damage on a trade, but since you are moving backwards their strike will likely lose power due to you moving from their strike range.

VIDEO - https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/c5df9...4-37d627da6200 (Also showcased in later videos)

Using the push to score a leg kick is great if they are not coming forward as much because it is unblockable and you can head kick them off of the push as well. Bit of a side note as it isn't the best for countering pressure, but I do use it in later videos.

Elbows - Elbows are also very underutilized. By now, the lean back elbow has become pretty popular, but in case didn't know you can avoid a hook or uppercut with a back lean and immediately hit a rear elbow (as opposed to a rear uppercut, which is also nice if you don't have access to elbows). It's very fast and can lead to a rock most times you hit it because they are both vulnerable and low on short term stamina. Great to use if you know they're coming in with hooks and uppercuts.

VIDEO - https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/65c62...3-8112c500d768

Another great way to utilize elbows is to trade in the pocket with them. A simple left - right elbow combo is enough to trade and cause a hit stun. They're faster than any other strike and if they're constantly in your face they eat up head health like none other. It works best if you know for a fact the person is going to come in heavy.

VIDEO - https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/ab921...4-a0c63382e4b2

The Pressure Killer Combo - This is one that I just learned and it changed the whole game. It is tailor made for stopping pressure fighters in their tracks. Here's what you do: you throw either a jab or jab - straight combo while stationary or moving forward and then immediately back up while throwing the lead head kick (when you are in orthodox vs. orthodox) or the rear head kick (if you're orthodox vs. southpaw). What happens is you will be safely out of range of their big strikes and you will catch them dead to rights with the kick. You'll always eat damage because you're throwing the kick while they are mid combo, but you are now farther away (decreasing damage by putting their big strikes out of proper range for maximum power) and they just ate a clean head kick for counter damage because they were mid combo. Even if they just block all the strikes you break the guard because it's essentially just a 1 - 2 - head kick. Important tip: this ONLY works if they are stationary or moving forward. If they back up you will whiff the kick every time. It's brutal if you have them on the cage because they cannot back up and they cannot successfully trade with you. If they slip or lunge sideways you have a 50/50 chance of a straight knock out. If they duck it does not matter because you are too far away to be countered. This move WILL keep them honest.

VIDEOS (The combo is at the beginning of the first video, but these three contain almost everything I've noted) - https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/448a3...b-156b0b624c7b

https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/f31cc...e-0703704a02a6

https://xboxclips.co/lemuskhan/5aaef...f-57c54ad31a36

As a side note, since the nerfing of the rear push kick, the lead push kick has become a nice replacement. You can mix it up with the lead push head kick because they have the same start up frames. Great for maintaining distance and scoring some body and stamina damage while creating an opportunity for a head rock.

The best basic combo for countering is the jab - straight - lead hook. You can preemptively throw it while they come forward and it will normally beat their combo.

Combining these tips will give you a foundation to build a successful counter fighting strategy. It won't do the work for you, but I hope it will help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2020, 06:08 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Guide to Avoiding and Countering Pressure Fighting (With Video)

I find your approach to the game very compelling! It feels like you always have some unique angle whenever you post educational content which is refreshing.

Similar to you, I've been a fan of the lead leg kick for quite a while but I haven't used it as universally as you seem to do. IIRC the stun effect is more potent if you land it inside so I subconsciously prioritize it more in mirror stances than opposite stances. All the combos ending with backwards moving stuff is something I haven't thought of though and is definitely something something I want to experiment with.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
Banned

The problem I have is that this doesn't work very well at high levels which points to design issues.

You went from a legit ESFL contender and even champion in UFC 3 to a gatekeeper in UFC 4.

I really appreciate the effort in this post but the results speak for themselves. UFC 4 is made to cater to pressure like never before. All the top players rely on it or grappling to be successful.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
The problem I have is that this doesn't work very well at high levels which points to design issues.

You went from a legit ESFL contender and even champion in UFC 3 to a gatekeeper in UFC 4.

I really appreciate the effort in this post but the results speak for themselves. UFC 4 is made to cater to pressure like never before. All the top players rely on it or grappling to be successful.

My ESFL performance, for one, has a lot more to do with me not playing against highly ranked people on a daily basis. In UFC 3 I was in a camp filled with killers who played every day.

And despite that, I’m still a mf *** whippin player, with all due respect. Since this has become about me let’s examine my ESFL losses.

1. UnnoticedLegacy - Crushed this guy for 1.5 rounds, got put into half guard by Yoel Romero before any patches were released to nerf ground and pound and got put out by the spam which was killing everyone.

2. Suave Jamie - A close fight on the feet before I got taken down and pounded out (again, on the ground). This guy is 6-0 and the current champion.

3. Southpaw St - A decision loss with two close rounds and in the third he found a way to avoid my Henry Cejudo with TJ Dillashaw and I could not commit to strikes from range. Hmmm, that seems to be the opposite of pressure. He also whooped Jamie for 3 straight rounds before getting figured out.

4. DevRaider - We trade rocks in a Cody Garbrandt mirror match where basically one false move puts you to death with his massive power and glass chin. I went for a takedown and ate an uppercut.

So with all due respect, none of my losses were due to pressure and I still hold my own against anyone. Not to mention, I didn’t even develop this style until two weeks ago. So I’m taking that as an ignorant comment and assassination of my skill based on misrepresenting evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
My ESFL performance, for one, has a lot more to do with me not playing against highly ranked people on a daily basis. In UFC 3 I was in a camp filled with killers who played every day.

And despite that, I’m still a mf *** whippin player, with all due respect. Since this has become about me let’s examine my ESFL losses.

1. UnnoticedLegacy - Crushed this guy for 1.5 rounds, got put into half guard by Yoel Romero before any patches were released to nerf ground and pound and got put out by the spam which was killing everyone.

2. Suave Jamie - A close fight on the feet before I got taken down and pounded out (again, on the ground). This guy is 6-0 and the current champion.

3. Southpaw St - A decision loss with two close rounds and in the third he found a way to avoid my Henry Cejudo with TJ Dillashaw and I could not commit to strikes from range. Hmmm, that seems to be the opposite of pressure. He also whooped Jamie for 3 straight rounds before getting figured out.

4. DevRaider - We trade rocks in a Cody Garbrandt mirror match where basically one false move puts you to death with his massive power and glass chin. I went for a takedown and ate an uppercut.

So with all due respect, none of my losses were due to pressure and I still hold my own against anyone. Not to mention, I didn’t even develop this style until two weeks ago. So I’m taking that as an ignorant comment and assassination of my skill based on misrepresenting evidence.

I’ll go back and check them out but from memory I cant say I agree with your assessment of all the fights.

Not looking to assassinate anything. I genuinely would love to be wrong and for counter striking and outside fighting to be viable. I think you have plenty of skill. I just think the game is poorly balanced which hurts people who have the skill and knowledge to try and create their own meta.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
I’ll go back and check them out but from memory I cant say I agree with your assessment of all the fights.

Not looking to assassinate anything. I genuinely would love to be wrong and for counter striking and outside fighting to be viable. I think you have plenty of skill. I just think the game is poorly balanced which hurts people who have the skill and knowledge to try and create their own meta.

I agree that it’s poorly balanced. I’m not saying this is the most viable strategy in the game, but it does work. I’ve used it in ranked and during spars with a few good players. And I’m sure if someone like Romero used these tactics he’d wipe the floor with dudes just the same as he does now. Not to mention that ESFL is completely different than ranked. The jitters are real. Most people aren’t playing for the ESFL, they’re on quick match and ranked. The high level players don’t need this advice, this is for people in the mid-low tier or those who want to play against the meta. And on that scale, these plays definitely work.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #7
Rookie

These are all very good tips. Some are things I'd thought of, some are things I need to use more. Very nice work bud.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
Pro

Found the headmovement bit particularly interesting. I don't use the block + headmovement enough due to not being able to counter off of it, but from a pure defensive stand-point I think I will try to use it more. I just gotta be more patient when it comes to letting the other guy drain his stamina.

I was really good about that in EA UFC 2 oddly enough. EA UFC 3 I lost all my patience for some reason.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »