Home

3 Ways to Better Balance Pressure vs. Counter Fighting

This is a discussion on 3 Ways to Better Balance Pressure vs. Counter Fighting within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

OVR: 0
3 Ways to Better Balance Pressure vs. Counter Fighting

Although this series has come a long way, it is still very biased towards pressure fighters who throw 100+ strikes per round.

A few simple ways to better balance this:

* Short-Term Stamina regenerates more slowly. If you bust out two consecutive 4-strike combos, your short-term stamina drop a lot, and STAY lower for a protracted period of time.

* Stamina should MATTER more! Oftentimes by the 3rd round I can get someone down to 50% permanent stamina ... but they are still throwing insanely accurate, fast, and powerful 4+ strike combos. Low-stamina strikes should be MUCH SLOPPIER and set someone up for big counters....rather than laser-guided missles lol

* Better hit detection - simple enough. If I'm throwing 75 strikes in the first round and my opponent is throwing 120, it's pretty obvious that poor hit detection will hurt me much more than it will hurt him.

So many times I've avoided/slipped/blocked 2 strikes of a combo .... "landed" a huge uppercut or hook at perfect range and perfect vulnerability window which should have flatlined my opponent ... only for it not to register. I'm sure a few times I "think" it lands and it really didn't ... but there are many many times it SHOULD have landed but did not, trust me! I'm bias, but not totally insane! lmao .... of course, after my perfect counter does not register, I am left totally helpless and get blasted by strikes 3 thru 6 of his goofy combo. Sad face.

Please Devs please please please work on stamina & hit detection

P.S. being able to queue strikes is....not ideal......you should have to input each strike in real time not queue up combos ... button mashing galore

That's why I loved total punch control and total strike control and wish they permanently replaced buttons for striking in all combat sports games .... you actually had to push the stick in unique directions for each punch, not just spam buttons and queue 5-strike combos w/ mashing. Throwing a well-timed 3-strike combo was a thing of beauty. But I digress!
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

Last edited by Boiler569; 11-03-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: 3 Ways to Better Balance Pressure vs. Counter Fighting

very good idea
Old 11-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
MVP

I like the idea of slower stamina regen for spamming. Since its easier to rock someone with low stamina this would open up counter striking more and make people more cautious.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #4
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
I like the idea of slower stamina regen for spamming. Since its easier to rock someone with low stamina this would open up counter striking more and make people more cautious.
Yes for sure!

One thing I really like about UFC 4 is that your temporary health bar regenerates slowly. It can take 5+ seconds to fully regenerate depending how hurt you are/etc.

Short term stamina should take this long to recover, especially after 3+ strike combos, and ESPECIALLY if many of those strikes are missed/whiffed.

Even blocked strikes should cost a bit more stamina IMO, at least if it's a big strike and the defender has 75%+ block strength at the time the strike was blocked, for example...

Tweaking this system just a bit, plus better hit detection, could really make a world of difference in balancing aggression vs. defense and prudent countering
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

Old 11-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
Although this series has come a long way, it is still very biased towards pressure fighters who throw 100+ strikes per round.

A few simple ways to better balance this:

* Short-Term Stamina regenerates more slowly. If you bust out two consecutive 4-strike combos, your short-term stamina drop a lot, and STAY lower for a protracted period of time.

* Stamina should MATTER more! Oftentimes by the 3rd round I can get someone down to 50% permanent stamina ... but they are still throwing insanely accurate, fast, and powerful 4+ strike combos. Low-stamina strikes should be MUCH SLOPPIER and set someone up for big counters....rather than laser-guided missles lol

* Better hit detection - simple enough. If I'm throwing 75 strikes in the first round and my opponent is throwing 120, it's pretty obvious that poor hit detection will hurt me much more than it will hurt him.

So many times I've avoided/slipped/blocked 2 strikes of a combo .... "landed" a huge uppercut or hook at perfect range and perfect vulnerability window which should have flatlined my opponent ... only for it not to register. I'm sure a few times I "think" it lands and it really didn't ... but there are many many times it SHOULD have landed but did not, trust me! I'm bias, but not totally insane! lmao .... of course, after my perfect counter does not register, I am left totally helpless and get blasted by strikes 3 thru 6 of his goofy combo. Sad face.

Please Devs please please please work on stamina & hit detection

P.S. being able to queue strikes is....not ideal......you should have to input each strike in real time not queue up combos ... button mashing galore

That's why I loved total punch control and total strike control and wish they permanently replaced buttons for striking in all combat sports games .... you actually had to push the stick in unique directions for each punch, not just spam buttons and queue 5-strike combos w/ mashing. Throwing a well-timed 3-strike combo was a thing of beauty. But I digress!
Nothing but facts spoken here.

Stamina management is one of the most important elements of ever MMA fight.... Just like coaching strategy is fundamental every Football game.

Hopefully another company gets this game next and we can look back at these EA UFC: Dragonball Z Series games as a relic from a terrible past.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
Rookie

I agree 100% with all of this. We have all kind of just accepted queued strikes after four games of it but it really does suck. I want to react in real time to what is happening. Not hope that what I did three seconds ago is still the best option.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt fists
I agree 100% with all of this. We have all kind of just accepted queued strikes after four games of it but it really does suck. I want to react in real time to what is happening. Not hope that what I did three seconds ago is still the best option.
GNP forces you to intelligently queue; if you do not queue strikes, you will only get a couple out, before you are forced to posture down. I've gotten better at it but ahhhh man I really want to be able to pick my shot better, both standing and GNP
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

Old 11-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #8
MVP

Boiler, not to sound like a pessimistic dick, but why are you posting suggestions?

I've been here ( the previous forum) since UFC 1, avid MMA fan and have been top 10 ranked several times, and I really do feel its a waste of time to make these threads in the current climate. I was there once trying to come up with good ideas, but if we face the facts there is almost a 99% chance that your thread will be ignored even if your ideas are good. I guess you could do it to make yourself feel better and see if others would agree, but in terms on tangible changes I don't see the point. I haven't seen sufficient evidence that the 100th thread talking about balancing pressure vs counter fighting will be any more effective than the last 99. I feel that this forum is best for guides and posting game breaking bugs, that's it.

One could say why am I even bothering posting this then? I just feel that you in particular come up with good ideas and you lay them out in these long threads that seem to take a decent amount of time to make. I feel you are wasting your time and would be better suited to making guides or stat analysis of current features instead.

I apologize if I come off as harsh, but again at this point there is a reason these threads are pretty much barren.

Last edited by UFCBlackbelt; 11-09-2020 at 11:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »