Home

Why is aggressive catch still in the game at this point?

This is a discussion on Why is aggressive catch still in the game at this point? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Why is aggressive catch still in the game at this point?

I'm asking a serious question here, because at this point is absolutely useless. It literally does next to nothing.

Now I personally think that a large part of the reason for this is because 50/50 balls in this game are not actually 50/50 balls, they're more like 10/90 balls. 10% of the time you make the catch 90% of the time you don't, it's either batted away or intercepted.

If I play 50 games, and I attempt to use aggressive catch at least once a game, or in other words 50 times I guarantee you at least 48 or 49 of those 50 times it will fail.

So why is it still in the game at this point? Why should I bother trying to use it, when at least 90% of the time, it's absolutely useless?

Sent from my SM-S260DL using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by myrtlebrown98; 09-30-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
Rookie

TX.Leaguer's Arena

Re: Why is aggressive catch still in the game at this point?

I’m glad you’re able to use the aggressive catch. I only use possession catch and it rarely even triggers. It works when it triggers, but getting the receiver to actually do it is next to impossible for me. It’sa great feature on 3rd downs but I can’t ever get it to take the button input.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

100% agree. It's completely useless and hardly ever works. Triggering one is guaranteeing a DB knockout even if there's 5 yards of separation.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Agg catch is incredibly effective in short yardage plays (like fade patterns) if you have the right receivers and a good height matchup. If you have a receiver like Galladay, I'd argue it's overpowered.

Where I see lots of folks go wrong is using agg catch on deep plays (exempting hail mary plays). For deep passes, you're way better off leading the receiver with a high point bullet throw with RAC catches to run under them.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Agg catch is incredibly effective in short yardage plays (like fade patterns) if you have the right receivers and a good height matchup. If you have a receiver like Galladay, I'd argue it's overpowered.

Where I see lots of folks go wrong is using agg catch on deep plays (exempting hail mary plays). For deep passes, you're way better off leading the receiver with a high point bullet throw with RAC catches to run under them.
I also find it really effective on short curls (as long as you identify the 1v1 and don't have a LB/Nickel sneaking in front of the play). It makes the receiver come back aggressively to make the catch on the run and really cuts down on the chance of the CB even being able to make a play on the ball - no knockout animations, in other words. It's only good for when you need very short gains, though - since the WR runs back toward LOS to make the catch he won't get the full yardage from the route.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I also find it really effective on short curls (as long as you identify the 1v1 and don't have a LB/Nickel sneaking in front of the play). It makes the receiver come back aggressively to make the catch on the run and really cuts down on the chance of the CB even being able to make a play on the ball - no knockout animations, in other words. It's only good for when you need very short gains, though - since the WR runs back toward LOS to make the catch he won't get the full yardage from the route.
That's an interesting approach...I usually use the low throw/possession catches for those...but I can see how that'd work in certain situations.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #7
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

In my experience it works fine with the right players. Tall deep threats or guys with high spectacular catch ratings come up big for me in jump-ball situations.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 09-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

If I throw the ball and it's high I often use the aggressive catch mechanic and my guy catches it while in the air and get's warped into a hit by the defensive player triggering the ball to come loose. I stopped using it because this combination of linked animations seems to never result in a catch. There are times the receiver "should" be able to hold onto the ball.

The worst part is the link between these 2 animations is blatant and you can see the receiver get sucked into a position in relation to the defender to allow this animation to occur. So you know what's going to happen as soon as you see the glitch.

Man...I miss the physics based tackling even if it generated some wonky animations sometimes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »