Home

The patch broke quarters match coverage

This is a discussion on The patch broke quarters match coverage within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-22-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The patch broke quarters match coverage

EA nullified pattern match of quarters against 3x1 formations to the 3 receiver side. I noticed they left this out of the patch notes. This is a big deal to those of us that play as safeties and follow the reads/rules for reading concepts. This is shady and complete laziness on EAs part. Put the damn match back into the match defense. SMH
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Rookie

Rangerneb's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The patch broke quarters match coverage

I noticed it as well. Time to start using some Cover 6.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Rookie

Palms seems to be somewhat fixed. It converts into a cover 2 against 2x2 formations when #2 goes out and #1 goes vertical.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I play match coverage almost exclusively and I’m not seeing “Quarters is broken” literally at all?

In fact if anything I the Trips checks are working more soundly than before. In Solo (Quarters vs 3x1 with a wide-split solo receiver), the strong side quarter flat player isn’t overextending himself out of the play nearly as badly as he was prior to 1.10, and in both Solo and Special the weakside inside quarter player is a bit more active and isn’t drifting out into grass quite as much (he still does sometimes, to be fair).
Old 09-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I play match coverage almost exclusively and I’m not seeing “Quarters is broken” literally at all?

In fact if anything I the Trips checks are working more soundly than before. In Solo (Quarters vs 3x1 with a wide-split solo receiver), the strong side quarter flat player isn’t overextending himself out of the play nearly as badly as he was prior to 1.10, and in both Solo and Special the weakside inside quarter player is a bit more active and isn’t drifting out into grass quite as much (he still does sometimes, to be fair).
Agaiant 2x2 it plays correctly. Agaiant 3x1 to the trips side they don’t match, they simply play drop zone. Probably fine for most players but isn’t even comparable to its real life counterpart.

I switched to palms for now to match. It has a few more coverage rules but operates good enough if you choose the correct user safety based on formation fit and alignment.

Last edited by Coach Captures; 09-23-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #6
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Captures
Agaiant 2x2 it plays correctly. Agaiant 3x1 to the trips side they don’t match, they simply play drop zone. Probably fine for most players but isn’t even comparable to its real life counterpart.

I switched to palms for now to match. It has a few more coverage rules but operates good enough if you choose the correct user safety based on formation fit and alignment.
I poked around at this specifically in practice this morning and yeah, you're right and I was wrong, this is exactly what is happening now. I think I was just having good luck with CPU play calls making it look like things were working properly.

Really hope Tiburon fixes this with haste. Madden needs more match coverages, not less.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #7
Rookie

Pretty sure EA bastardized the coverage to handle route concepts from compressed formations. I won’t get started on how that entire interaction is broken but none the less, quarters was purposely broken to counter an exploit.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Captures
Pretty sure EA bastardized the coverage to handle route concepts from compressed formations. I won’t get started on how that entire interaction is broken but none the less, quarters was purposely broken to counter an exploit.
It's also possible it wasn't done on purpose. I'm more willing to believe the underlying code is janky enough to break easily from changes. I get that we want to be angry at EA, but I don't know if going straight to "they did this on purpose" is the correct initial reaction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »