Home

Error question

This is a discussion on Error question within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
Pro

JHodges57's Arena

OVR: 0
Error question

I would like to know if this should have been called an error.

Situation: Men on first and second. Batter hits a grounder to 3b. They get the force at 2b but then the 2bman throws it away throwing to first. This allows the runner on third to score.

In the game it was not ruled an error but should it have been since if it had not been thrown away the guy wouldn't have scored.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
MVP

Archie56's Arena

Re: Error question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHodges57

Situation: Men on first and second. Batter hits a grounder to 3b. They get the force at 2b but then the 2bman throws it away throwing to first. This allows the runner on third to score.

In the game it was not ruled an error but should it have been since if it had not been thrown away the guy wouldn't have scored.
I would think that constitutes as a one base error, given that the runner on second wouldn't have scored on the ground ball. Plus, the batter would end up on second bc of the throwing error

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

dunno why that wasn't an error. if the second baseman just holds the ball instead of throwing it, no runners advance any further

A Work in Progress
Old 09-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #4
Pro

JHodges57's Arena

It did call it an unearned run.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Yes to error. Judging errors has always been an issue for this game. I’ve often wished you could override the cpu ruling.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHodges57

What is interesting is that even though the 2bman made the out by stepping on the bag, the only reason he would be given an error in real life, would be if a runner(s) advanced on the play. In your example, the runner at third advanced home, so that constitutes the error given.

Oddly enough, let's say the ball bounced off the dugout fence, and didn't allow the runner at third to come home, or the guy at first to advance to second, no error is given on the play.

The game has definitely had a hard time with what is an error or what is not, because there are some arbitrary and judgement calls as to what constitutes "normal effort" and therefore, the game will never get the calls 100% correct.

In the same scenario you gave us, had the slow runner at third held the bag, but a fast runner headed to first, made the turn and took second, it still is an error, as a "physical mistake" allowed the offense to gain an advantage (advancing a base).

I've battled it out with official scorers in my day, and I am still under the impression that errors were sometimes doled out based on their mood... Sometimes official scorers wake up on the wrong side of the bed too...

~syf

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »