Home

Let's talk about the Striking/Stand Up.

This is a discussion on Let's talk about the Striking/Stand Up. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Let's talk about the Striking/Stand Up.

Hoping to have this thread be dedicated to this aspect of the game. The new focus has been on the clinch, takedowns, and ground and pound but many of us love the striking aspect of MMA most or are long time boxing/Fight Night fans and if the striking isn't right, the game just won't cut it.

What do you guys think about where how it was in the beta vs 3? Where do you think it needs to improve? What would be a good balance for different fighters and strikers to be affective with different styles? How can they balance the online aspect and make it more realistic without constant slugfests and insane punch numbers and health events?

I will add my 2 cents later but am really interested in this community's take and how it aligns with my own opinions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Let's talk about the Striking/Stand Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
Hoping to have this thread be dedicated to this aspect of the game. The new focus has been on the clinch, takedowns, and ground and pound but many of us love the striking aspect of MMA most or are long time boxing/Fight Night fans and if the striking isn't right, the game just won't cut it.

What do you guys think about where how it was in the beta vs 3? Where do you think it needs to improve? What would be a good balance for different fighters and strikers to be affective with different styles? How can they balance the online aspect and make it more realistic without constant slugfests and insane punch numbers and health events?

I will add my 2 cents later but am really interested in this community's take and how it aligns with my own opinions.
I believe it was pretty unanimous that stamina and damage were REALLY arcadey for the beta vs UFC 3 which was more realistic. This is super easy to tune though and will be different for release according to GPD. Hopefully they change it back to where it was with 3 at least, but ideally even more.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

There are so many “rules”/limitations to the striking that ultimately there end up being only 1 or 2 viable strategies to deal with any given thing, or it feels generally turn-based. It’s not organic, it’s not fluid, it’s not exciting. It’s frustrating and unintuitive and relies on studying frame data and arbitrary game mechanics to come up with a viable strategy to have any success. It can be fun when neither player really knows what they are doing, but once you realize what’s going on it becomes extremely repetitive. Things that should work are needlessly handicapped by the game, and just makes the striking generally a stale experience.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:15 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter Punch
There are so many “rules”/limitations to the striking that ultimately there end up being only 1 or 2 viable strategies to deal with any given thing, or it feels generally turn-based. It’s not organic, it’s not fluid, it’s not exciting. It’s frustrating and unintuitive and relies on studying frame data and arbitrary game mechanics to come up with a viable strategy to have any success. It can be fun when neither player really knows what they are doing, but once you realize what’s going on it becomes extremely repetitive. Things that should work are needlessly handicapped by the game, and just makes the striking generally a stale experience.
What specifically are you referring to because I dont agree with this assessment at all.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:56 PM   #5
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
What specifically are you referring to because I dont agree with this assessment at all.
Why don’t you post a clip of one of your fights?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2020, 12:00 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
I agree with this assessment completely. This exact feeling has led me to dump the last two games pretty early on in their life cycles for something else. When I first start playing after a long break or at the beginning I will use movement and sways, pick apart people from the outside and have quite a bit of fun, but once I start playing the experienced gamers, the real comp types you quickly realize that you can not treat the game like an actual boxing/kickboxing/mma stand up fight, instead you need to account for the lack of proper defensive options, how risky it actually is to use sways, which combo chains cannot be interrupted with certain punches, how to weather the combo so you can throw your own, which fighters to pick so as not to be at a complete disadvantage. The more knowledgeable the opponent the more repetitive the game feels and the more repetitive you have to play in order to compete properly.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:

What game are you playing? Frame data in this game is so adenosine and convoluted by all the perks, stats, and move levels. Furthermore what fighting games do you play that a prevalent strategy doesn’t become the norm?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-24-2020, 12:07 AM   #8
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexGamerChannel
What game are you playing? Frame data in this game is so adenosine and convoluted by all the perks, stats, and move levels. Furthermore what fighting games do you play that a prevalent strategy doesn’t become the norm?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I’m trying to figure out what word you meant instead of adenosine but I can’t so I’ll just answer your second question.

I don’t play traditional fighting games. I actually hate them, for much of the same reasons that I listed above.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »