Home

I think 2K is the one who wanted the arcade NFL license for now.

This is a discussion on I think 2K is the one who wanted the arcade NFL license for now. within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #1
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2
I think 2K is the one who wanted the arcade NFL license for now.

I imagine 2K was the one who wanted the arcade license for now. I think there mindset is similar to what WWE 2K is undergoing now. The WWE game is being developed as an arcade as to give the simulation game more time to be developed. Arcade is much easier to make while simulation is very detailed and time consuming especially for the brand new consoles that are ready to release. 2K will be ready in 5 years to make a simulation football game. The next gen consoles will also have a bigger user base so they can sell to a much bigger audience then they would at the start of the next generation cycle. It takes lots of time to construct a dev team and then to create a simulation football game. Madden has been developed over 30 and it still is not simulation. In the meantime 2K can make arcade games for a couple of years. Why would 2K buy in on the expensive simulation license when they would be losing money when the game wouldn't be ready 3-4 years down the road. The next time the simulation license is up for grabs it will go to both 2K and EA.

Last edited by tsbmolina; 06-05-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I think 2K is the one who wanted the arcade NFL license for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
I imagine 2K was the one who wanted the arcade license for now. I think there mindset is similar to what WWE 2K is undergoing now. The WWE game is being developed as an arcade as to give the simulation game more time to be developed. Arcade is much easier to make while simulation is very detailed and time consuming especially for the brand new consoles that are ready to release. 2K will be ready in 5 years to make a simulation football game. The next gen consoles will also have a bigger user base so they can sell to a much bigger audience then they would at the start of the next generation cycle. It takes lots of time to construct a dev team and then to create a simulation football game. Madden has been developed over 30 and it still is not simulation. In the meantime 2K can make arcade games for a couple of years. Why would 2K buy in on the expensive simulation license when they would be losing money when the game wouldn't be ready 3-4 years down the road. The next time the simulation license is up for grabs it will go to both 2K and EA.
I think the reason 2k went with the arcade wwe game was bc there was no way they would have been able to fix 2k21. Yukes left mid development and 2k was forced to put out a sub par product. They aren’t releasing 2k21 bc they need time to rebuild to the game.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I think the reason 2k went with the arcade wwe game was bc there was no way they would have been able to fix 2k21. Yukes left mid development and 2k was forced to put out a sub par product. They aren’t releasing 2k21 bc they need time to rebuild to the game.
Did you play WWE2K20 it was a bug riddled mess, it's definitely for a rebuild? I'm sure it will be a whole new engine with all new play mechanics.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
This doesn't really make sense though. You're saying it takes time to build a sim game and that it takes time to construct a dev team and everything, but they're not gonna build a whole separate dev team for a theoretical sim football game that may or may not have the chance to even be made in 5 years when the license is up again. Whatever team they have together for this NFL title they're making right now will likely be the same team they throw at a sim title should they gain those rights 5 years from now.

Honestly it's time to just let the dream of having the NFL 2K we know and love die. We're never going to see proper NFL 2K again. The league just doesn't want it and EA Sports is too afraid of competition to let it happen ever again.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
Rookie

Visual Concepts (Simulation)
CHoops 2K (Past)
MLB 2K (Past)
NBA 2K
NFL/APF 2K (Past)
NHL 2K (Past)
WWE 2K

HB Studios (Simulation)
PGA Tour 2K

Saber Interactive (Arcade)
NBA 2K Playground
NFL 2K ___ground
WWE Battleground

As soon as its TTWO/2K confirms Saber Interactive is the developer of their NFL 2K game we know exactly what were getting.

Visual Concepts isn't making the simulation game we all want. So we should request a Remastered APF 2K8.

Last edited by Ev14; 06-06-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
Just started!

I'm a little worried about this one
Old 06-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmsIcy
I'm a little worried about this one
Not really anything to worry about. We know they can’t make a “simulation” game. All it really leaves is an arcade/pick up and play type game or some type of my play league similar to NBA2K MyPark and Rec Center.

Either way this will not be the game for me but I’m glad some people will have an alternative to madden. Guess it’s another year of APF for me
Old 06-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Did 2k secure rights to the NFLPA? If so, I think it’s possible we get 2 titles. A playgrounds type game using both the league and players and an APF type game using the NFLPA.

If they have rights to real players and decent customization tools I think an APF type game could sell relatively well and wouldn’t be an NFL sim.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »