Home

Will baserunning ever work properly in this game?!

This is a discussion on Will baserunning ever work properly in this game?! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-22-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
Will baserunning ever work properly in this game?!

So hitting a ball in the gap, rounding second and immediately releasing R1 after passing second base and selecting the slide he just runs full speed past 3rd base to home and gets tagged out losing the game

Seriously
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Will baserunning ever work properly in this game?!

What mode?

Because I'm not understanding why you're "releasing R1" after passing second base????

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
So hitting a ball in the gap, rounding second and immediately releasing R1 after passing second base and selecting the slide he just runs full speed past 3rd base to home and gets tagged out losing the game

Seriously
I have never had this problem. I use the default assisted baserunning, and the only problem I have is the baserunner freezing on a line drive (smart) but then never unfreezing (i.e., manual input required) if it falls for a hit.

I think you are doing something wrong, honestly. I use a combination of the R1/R2 buttons and stick/button to highlight a runner and queue him to a base. Have you tried that? It's not hard and works.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Pro

mrsaito's Arena

OVR: 1

Same here, I use default assisted as well. The last couple of years SDS has shown some improvement too.

For example with a runner on second the batter hits a single and I hit L1 which is supposed to 'advance all' baserunners. Well the game is smart enough to just send the runner from second home without advancing the batter to a sure out at second.

I will admit that it took me a while to master tagging up from third on flyballs. One day I went into practice mode and figured it out.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

happens to me all the time. Runners always slide into third base. Lost so many runs by it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

There is one issue I've had with the baserunning for several years that hasn't been fixed. If I'm holding the L1 after rounding first and then release it at just the wrong time, the game locks the runner into a "run to 3rd" command when he should be stopping at 2nd.

Here's the thing happening in real time - watch how the baserunning display momentarily flashes "3rd" when I release the advance all button (5th second of the video - interestingly enough that moment is the auto-picked thumbnail for the video ):

That wasn't me - it only happened because I let off the Advance button and intended to stop at 2nd. This is a case where the full bug didn't trigger - just that visual one on the baserunning display. But when it does happen, that "3rd" will stay on the runner - and he won't stop going until he reaches third, which will usually get you caught in a rundown if you don't notice it.

And yes, I did say "if you don't notice it" because there's a way to keep this from happening every time that "3rd" sticks. I'm used to watching the baserunning display like a hawk now to make sure my runners are doing what they're supposed to, and when I do notice one of these bugs happen I have a short time to correct it myself before the runner reaches base. To make him stop at second I just do the "run to 2nd" command (highlight runner on L-stick, press Triangle) and he will stop there, even if the bug occurred.

I personally haven't had this happen anywhere other than between first and second, but it might be the cause of people running through third without stopping too. It's not an excuse for the bug existing (and since this is legacy it really needs to be fixed), but I know this is the way to beat it.

One more thing - this is a bug that only shows itself because I can show the gameplay live as it happens - the indicator of it doesn't show up on replay. Please use the PS4's passive recording feature to report bugs like this - I promise it will be easier to get your point across to others.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-22-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
Rookie

markor's Arena

OVR: 0

Is there an efficient way to advance multiple runners 2 or more bases without having to select each one separately? Usually bases loaded or runners on 1st and 2nd with ball hit in the gap and runners stopped to see if it drops gives me trouble to get everybody to advance as much as I want them to.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by markor
Is there an efficient way to advance multiple runners 2 or more bases without having to select each one separately? Usually bases loaded or runners on 1st and 2nd with ball hit in the gap and runners stopped to see if it drops gives me trouble to get everybody to advance as much as I want them to.
On gap balls that I know a fielder is not going to be able to cut off, I just hold L1 at least until after the batter rounds first. Since the other runners are leading off they will reach their next bases before that time, which means everyone will advance at least two bases. After that I individually control runners once I see where the ball is going (at that point there are only 2 to manage at most - batter and runner who started on 1st), or just keep holding L1 if it looks like a triple is possible.

That's about the simplest way I know of to handle it.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-22-2020 at 01:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »