Home

Reason Fielders Dont Back Up Plays?

This is a discussion on Reason Fielders Dont Back Up Plays? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Reason Fielders Dont Back Up Plays?

Does anyone know the actual reason why the show has never realistically depicted the way fielders actually react and back each other up on balls hit in play? I figure its either:
1. player collision/engine problems
2. laziness/unwillingness to properly make all 9 players do what they are supposed to do
3. developers are clueless and dont really know how players ALWAYS back each other up.
4. some sort of punishment system so that if you miss a flyball no one is there to prevent extra bases.

i really want to know the answer to this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Re: Reason Fielders Dont Back Up Plays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastthesherg
2. laziness/unwillingness to properly make all 9 players do what they are
supposed to do
3. developers are clueless and dont really know how players ALWAYS back each other up.

i really want to know the answer to this
C’mon, cheap shots. These guys live at the studio, even sleep there during crunch time. They actually have a couple devs, Chris Gil, who played pro ball. I believe he was in the Cards minor league system.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

This presumes players in real life still back each other up. I half-kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
Pro

mrsaito's Arena

OVR: 1

From what I've seen in the outfield when there is a ball hit in the gap there will be a second fielder in the area, although not completely backing up the selected fielder.

This discounts #2. Perhaps if they are too close it would interfere with the ability to select a given fielder.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

I dont see this at all. I think it's pretty accurate as depicted. A ball in the gap of the outfield will usually have two outfielders in the area. A fly ball directly to LF you wont see the CF race over and get behind him in the big leagues, this isnt softball.

Sent from my thoughts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
Banned

I’ve never had a issue with the AI not being properly positioned....... The Show does a hell of a job at replicating baseball

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Overall I think the AI does a good job most of the time. I do see it collapse though when you take control of different fielder from the default one. The default fielder now in cpu control will still run to the spot of the catch resulting in both of you standing on top of one another instead of the cpu fielder breaking off and backing up the play.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:34 PM   #8
Rookie

not gonna insult anybody but you are all dead wrong if you think this game properly depicts what all 9 guys do on a play. maybe its something you arent focusing on. for instance, have you ever seen 2 guys even come remotely close to colliding? didnt think so. ever hit a pop up foul down the 1st or 3rd baseline? how many guys actually go for the ball? 3? 2? nope just 1. i wasnt insulting devs either thats why i left the answer open to different possibilities. to the softball guy, obviously no one is talking about balls hit directly at someone, but plays in the gap you should see 2 guys racing to the ball until 1 get there 1st or is clearly going to get there 1st. t
mainly im talking about pop ups where the infielder has to go deeper than usual. you nevere see these plays backed up correctly. years ago i use tothink it was the mlb not allowing/wanting the show to rate collionsions for some reason. not sure why i thought they would careabout that

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »