Home

Potential Grades

This is a discussion on Potential Grades within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Potential Grades

What do the grades for potential (A-D) translate into for overall ratings?

I always figured A was 90+ and B was 80+ overall and so on. Not sure about this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Potential Grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegroove7
What do the grades for potential (A-D) translate into for overall ratings?

I always figured A was 90+ and B was 80+ overall and so on. Not sure about this.
Correct.
A=90-99
B=80-89
C=70-79
D=60-69
F=0-59

A player can exceed his potential too, so you may see a 93 B or a 82 C player. There will also be several D players in the 70s populated by the draft.

Last edited by JoseJoseph9119; 04-23-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseJoseph9119
Correct.
A=90-99
B=80-89
C=70-79
D=60-69
F=0-59

A player can exceed his potential too, so you may see a 93 B or a 82 C player.
This rarely happens though. And if they do exceed there potential, it’s usually only by 1 or 2 overall, and they’re 99.9% going to go back down to their potebtial the next year regardless of performance unless they get a potential increase.

I have been playing the show for over 12 years now, and I have learned to look at potential as an overall cap more than anything. And 85 potential player is more than likely going to stop improving in overall once reaching that 85 number
Old 04-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #4
Rookie

maddguuns's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
This rarely happens though. And if they do exceed there potential, it’s usually only by 1 or 2 overall, and they’re 99.9% going to go back down to their potebtial the next year regardless of performance unless they get a potential increase.

I have been playing the show for over 12 years now, and I have learned to look at potential as an overall cap more than anything. And 85 potential player is more than likely going to stop improving in overall once reaching that 85 number
I certainly would bet the ranch on this statement. I've seen players play above their potential long enough that potential changes. I buy the show every 3 years or so but it's been that way since at least 2011.

The first thing I do when I get The show is deep seem a few seasons to see what weird stuff would happen 5, 10, 20 years down the road so I can make adjustments on the franchise that matters to me. In doing so, one example in '20 is Hanser Alberto. He has C potential but in every sim, he plays at an OVR of 83+ and more than half his potential changed to a B by 2022. In at least 2 sims, he hit 90 OVR.

I know it is anecdotal, but it's a representation that there is more going on than we can reasonably assume with general, blanket statements.

I don't know what triggers those types of things, but it's not as simple as playing above by a couple points for a season or two then dropping back and potential never changing.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddguuns
I certainly would bet the ranch on this statement. I've seen players play above their potential long enough that potential changes. I buy the show every 3 years or so but it's been that way since at least 2011.

The first thing I do when I get The show is deep seem a few seasons to see what weird stuff would happen 5, 10, 20 years down the road so I can make adjustments on the franchise that matters to me. In doing so, one example in '20 is Hanser Alberto. He has C potential but in every sim, he plays at an OVR of 83+ and more than half his potential changed to a B by 2022. In at least 2 sims, he hit 90 OVR.

I know it is anecdotal, but it's a representation that there is more going on than we can reasonably assume with general, blanket statements.

I don't know what triggers those types of things, but it's not as simple as playing above by a couple points for a season or two then dropping back and potential never changing.
What your seeing is his “morale” increase overall. Players get inflated overalls in the lineup and roster screens when you match certain criteria to their overall. Go to the morale tab on his player card and you will see what his “real” overall rating is. If your seeing someone’s overall jump from a C to an A, I promise you are doing weird stuff in your franchise. B potential starts at 80. So if you are seeing players jump from C to A, that is a minimum 11 point potential increase. I have never ever seen that much of an increase in the 12 years I have been playing. I am not calling you a liar but are you messing with anything I.E. sliders or team budgets?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Correct.
A=90-99
B=80-89
C=70-79
D=60-69
F=0-59

A player can exceed his potential too, so you may see a 93 B or a 82 C player. There will also be several D players in the 70s populated by the draft.
OVR and potential OVR are both fluid numbers. While potential GRADES do give you a good estimate of how good a player will be, I view the grade as how quick/if full potential will be reached. An A potential can jump 5 OVR/yr with good coaches while D may only jump 1 or 2 OVR/yr.

For veteran players, like your examples above, I look at grades as how fast/slow a player will regress. In that regard, I'm not sure I'd call it exceeding potential.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
Rookie

In the realm of potential grades, what happens if you move a player to a different position that significantly changes his OVR? Example:

I have a 74 OVR SS with 82 potential that I just became a 79 OVR RF. Does this mean that he only has "room" for 3 points of growth now as opposed to 8, therefore developing slower/less? Would the opposite be true, giving players who move to a position they're "worse" at more room to grow?
Old 04-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
In the realm of potential grades, what happens if you move a player to a different position that significantly changes his OVR? Example:

I have a 74 OVR SS with 82 potential that I just became a 79 OVR RF. Does this mean that he only has "room" for 3 points of growth now as opposed to 8, therefore developing slower/less? Would the opposite be true, giving players who move to a position they're "worse" at more room to grow?
I have no problem moving players if attributes merit the move. I never thought about checking potential OVR numbers before or after the move. Now I'm curious.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »