Home

Old 04-21-2020, 12:51 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Delivery

Does anyone think that there are few deliveries are in need of a serious redo.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2020, 01:55 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Delivery

Any delivery where they awkwardly freeze after throwing the ball gets edited out immediately.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:19 AM   #3
Rookie

More than a few.

This video perfectly encapsulates what's wrong with so many of the pitching animations in The Show.

Something always seemed off but it wasn't until I ran across this video did I realize what it was. In The Show most of the time it's as if pitchers are having a casual warm up session. There's no sort of violent movement for lack of a better word, and the leg kicks look pathetic at best. And the animations that are "quicker" and more "realistic" (by Show standards), look more ridiculous than anything. If you look at Greg Maddux's pitch animation it's one of the better examples of what I'm talking about. It just looks weird and off. And I don't know which Greg Maddux that animation is supposed to be of because it looks nothing like how he pitched in real life.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Rookie

^OMG, I've been saying this since at least 2010. The pitchers always look like they're throwing BP. It has gotten somewhat better the past 2-3 years. Same goes for hitters with the generic one handed follow through. The player models have developed over the years but the animations are definitely lacking.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Would speeding the pitch up help match things up a bit more? It seems like the ball gets to the plate faster in PYS than it does in The Show, at least in that video comparison. But yeah, the release portion of the delivery looks like it's in slow motion in The Show for Chapman.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawgee
Would speeding the pitch up help match things up a bit more? It seems like the ball gets to the plate faster in PYS than it does in The Show, at least in that video comparison. But yeah, the release portion of the delivery looks like it's in slow motion in The Show for Chapman.
To your question, nah. Because the foundation is still present, the foundation being the animation. It would be the same thing on Legend. For comparison sake I get what you're saying but all matching pitch speeds is going to do is match pitch speeds lol Chapman is still going to look the same delivering it. But I get the point you were making.

But the animations are the core problem, I'm not sure if it would require the engine to be overhauled or if they just can't nail the realism factor in their animations. If you look at Show titles from 7+ years ago it's the same thing. Some animations look alright but most are definitely just meh, if not just flat out bad. For a baseball game in 2020 I expect so much more, or any sports game for that matter. And I know some people will think "just wait for PS5", but that's not good enough when it's been this way since PS3, and we have a series like PYS floating around that share the exact same hardware with The Show.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Yeah, speeding up the pitches might even make things look more ridiculous...having a 100mph fastball come out of a Wiffle Ball delivery.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawgee
Yeah, speeding up the pitches might even make things look more ridiculous...having a 100mph fastball come out of a Wiffle Ball delivery.
Hahaha, yeah definitely

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »