Home

Best Roster for Harcore Sim Franchise Players

This is a discussion on Best Roster for Harcore Sim Franchise Players within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-16-2020, 07:52 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Best Roster for Harcore Sim Franchise Players

So I know Cycloniac has his TrueSime rosters out and I know the amount of time and effort he puts into them and they are very popular.

However, I have my own spin on the perfect franchise rosters.

I put 60+ hours of work into editing players on every single team. Cycloniac edited 1200 players. I edited approximately 2100 (roughly 70 per team)

When I first started this, I was thinking it would be a quick project for my franchises, but as I started working on it, I thought it would be best to put a good amount of work into it and share it with everybody. I honestly think this is the best roster available for hardcore sim franchise players. Cycloniac's is a strong roster, but I still think its a bit too top heavy with current overall player ratings and future potentials.

Here are the roster features that make my set unique:

-Every team's top 10 prospects (MLB Pipeline)

-Most of every team's top 15 prospects are included and a good majority of each team's top 30

-I created a "tier" system for player ratings based on their current level (MLB/AAA/etc.) and their actual performances

-For MLB players, I used fangraphs WAR as an indicator for what their current overall should be, supplemented by some other analytics like wRC+/FIP/etc. to be as accurate as possible

-For MiLB players, every level has a ratings spread that players fall into. Based on their performance at a certain level, that's how I determined their overall. I also included ETA into my calculations to generate roughly accurate timelines to being MLB ready in the game

-Potentials for both MLB players and MiLB players were generated based off of perceived "future roles" for younger players who are not in their primes yet and "past roles" for older players who are declining, but still good players

-The tier system for current overalls creates more balance across the rosters. When you start your franchise, "elite" and "very good" players should feel more like that, while "average" players should all clump together performance-wise.

-The balance in the potentials does a multitude of things. For one, it extends the life of franchises because it should prevent a massive gathering of players in the mid to upper 80s where suddenly anybody who isn't a "B" potential is useless. Two, it should create a logjam of players in the low to mid 70s. These players are maybe just good enough to be on MLB rosters, but there isn't necessarily anything that separates them from most everyone else. Just like the real majors, there's a lot of fringe guys on rosters and a lot of turnover. Additionally, every now and then, one of those fringe guys breaks out and becomes a long term piece. The Show's dynamic potential system should help make that be a more realistic thing. Meanwhile, players in the upper 70s are considered "average MLB starters" so they should make long careers out of those roles.

-Edited RPs and CPs so that current and future CP level pitchers are actually in those roles. No more random guys labeled as CP, only guys who could actually fill those roles

-Fangraphs has a "new pitch tracker" every year. I took a look at the 2020 list and adjusted certain pitchers accordingly.

I want to give credit for the base roster to mkharsh33.

I implore everyone to at least take a look at it and leave a like so others can see it. I think it will be very well worth your time. Again, I take nothing away from Cycloniac because it is a strong roster, but it just doesn't fit my liking.

If you want to leave constructive feedback, I'll more than happily listen. I'd love to find out where my roster deficiencies lie and what I can improve on.

Search "Best/Elite Roster for Franchise" or my username: ViatorLion10 to find the roster

Hope you all enjoy. Can't wait for this quarantine to be over and to get to the real baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2020, 11:32 PM   #2
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Best Roster for Harcore Sim Franchise Players

Cheers, glad to see another person putting in work to make the game better for the community

Old 04-17-2020, 01:45 AM   #3
MVP

TopSide83's Arena

Checked out your roster and they look really good. My one complaint and this goes to the other rosters out there is the starting pitchers ratings. No one ever touches these and they’re the worst part About the game IMO. Their K ratings are so low. If I guy ks 8 per 9 and had a 60 k rating, it’s near impossible to consistently strike out batters with him.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSide83
Checked out your roster and they look really good. My one complaint and this goes to the other rosters out there is the starting pitchers ratings. No one ever touches these and they’re the worst part About the game IMO. Their K ratings are so low. If I guy ks 8 per 9 and had a 60 k rating, it’s near impossible to consistently strike out batters with him.
But that's the thing:

Someone with a k/9 of 8 doesn't consistently strike out batters anyway. He can, if he's got good stuff on a particular day, but that's not the norm. A k/9 of 8 is below league average. The average is almost 9 k's/9 now.

So, I would actually say that I'm sure he edited his k/9. We all do.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
MVP

TopSide83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
But that's the thing:

Someone with a k/9 of 8 doesn't consistently strike out batters anyway. He can, if he's got good stuff on a particular day, but that's not the norm. A k/9 of 8 is below league average. The average is almost 9 k's/9 now.

So, I would actually say that I'm sure he edited his k/9. We all do.
What I’m saying is.. a guy who strikes out 7.5-8.5 Ks per 9 shouldn’t have a k rating in the low 60s. I’ve played this game long enough to know what’s going on. I’ve also went through everyone’s rosters and barely notice any changes to Starting Pitchers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Hi Viator,

I'm following Cycloniac's thread and now yours.

I see you're highlighting the sheer number of edited players in your roster as compared to other rosters.

What's clear from Cycloniac's thread is that there's a pretty robust system for the re-rates that are done.

I'm wondering if you have a similar system (I did read the OP) and if what's unique here is that you applied it to more players, or that you have a different method for calculating ratings, etc.

Could you elaborate?

I'm not intending to frame this query as a peeing contest between roster makers, but rather am trying to understand the nuances of each set.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSide83
What I’m saying is.. a guy who strikes out 7.5-8.5 Ks per 9 shouldn’t have a k rating in the low 60s. I’ve played this game long enough to know what’s going on. I’ve also went through everyone’s rosters and barely notice any changes to Starting Pitchers.

60 is roughly the average rating for all attributes (except fielding which is 70) for the players. If you created a SP with all 60 ratings, you'd end up with roughly a 76 OVR player, which is roughly "average"

The average K/9 in the league is around 8.5. So a SP with a K/9 around 8.5 should be around 60 for their rating

You may have played this game for a while, but you haven't done near the amount of testing and analysis that myself and I'm sure Cycloniac have done. Hours of testing potentials and and ratings has gone into these calculations.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishBull34
Hi Viator,

I'm following Cycloniac's thread and now yours.

I see you're highlighting the sheer number of edited players in your roster as compared to other rosters.

What's clear from Cycloniac's thread is that there's a pretty robust system for the re-rates that are done.

I'm wondering if you have a similar system (I did read the OP) and if what's unique here is that you applied it to more players, or that you have a different method for calculating ratings, etc.

Could you elaborate?

I'm not intending to frame this query as a peeing contest between roster makers, but rather am trying to understand the nuances of each set.

Thanks!

Thanks for following!

Cycloniac does have a robust system for rating based off of specific statistics. That is definitely next level for roster creation. However, after looking through his roster, I did find some of his calculations a little puzzling and the resulting overalls to be disagreeable.

Don't get me wrong, its still one of the best rosters out there for realism. It just wasn't exactly to my liking, mostly because of the resulting overalls and potentials that he came up with.

My system was based predominantly on WAR for current MLB players. Fangraphs has a great WAR system that breaks different values into tiers. I simply turned those tiers into ratings spreads and used them as target overalls for players. For potentials, I assigned potentials based on future roles that players are projected to fill. For example, "middle of the rotation starter" varies anywhere from 78-83. Some other things like career performance to date or potential of individual tools would then go into calculating a final number.

One drawback of my system that I'll admit is that it is not 100% adherent to statistics. If a players has a league average K rate as a hitter (25%), then its not guaranteed that his vision will be a 60 (average rating), but it should be in the general vicinity.

I focused just on editing overalls mainly, so I didn't necessarily edit attribute patterns. I took the base attributes generated by SDS or by the roster creator (mkharsh33) and increased/decreased them until I got to my target overall.

I would LOVE to edit each individual player and make their ratings accurately reflect every detail of their play. I have the knowledge of statistics and mathematics to generate formulas to make this happen in a completely unbiased and accurate manner. However, I am just one person, and even this method that I did took 60+ hours.

I would love the opportunity to collaborate with someone like Cycloniac or anyone who's interested for future projects. We the players deserve the best roster humanly possible. I just wish SDS delivered it to us instead.

And don't worry about about starting any rifts. I got respect for Cycloniac and the grind he puts in. I'm just pointing out a few criticisms for improvement, and I welcome the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »