Home

A Ray of Hope, the story of Tampa Bay.

This is a discussion on A Ray of Hope, the story of Tampa Bay. within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
A Ray of Hope, the story of Tampa Bay.

Hi there OS family.

Due to the horrific events that the world is dealing with in real life. Light-hearted at-home entertainment has never been so crucial to us.

Real-world baseball has been taken away from us. So I hope to provide some immersive simulation for you, good readers, at OS. A little bit more about the franchise I have chosen to go with.

Team: Tampa Bay Rays
Hitting Difficulty: Legend
Pitching Difficulty: Legend
Hitting Interface: Directional - Classic Guess Pitch
Pitching Interface: Meter
Fielding: Button Accuracy
Rosters: Ridin OSFM - 40Man with slight edits from the vault
Sliders: Mike Lowe V1 2020
Method: Will Play Every Pitch / at Bat.

Format:

It will follow a "Press" like approach to the team. I will provide updates after each series along with regular updates on the farm, interviews, around the league, storylines, monthly web gems, etc.

If you could please avoid replying until I give the green light in order to set it up that would be great.

Tampa is a great looking team, I love their uniforms, their players and the "underdog" type attitude they always seem to be faced with. Plus their farm system is stacked and who doesn't love Blake Snell. It will be tough to get past the Evil Empire but we have a real shot.

NB. In these tough times, it is important to remain conscious of the real world. Here in London, we will be on "lockdown" for at least 12 weeks. So I am hoping to do some real-world good while enjoying this series.

For every Homerun, I hit with Tampa Bay, I will donate 1$ to the following charity who is helping defeat hunger in the Tampa Bay region. This is especially important in these COVID times as the vulnerable will be even more vulnerable.

http://feedingtampabay.org

I'll make sure to keep track of the posts and will donate at the end of the season.

Thank you for joining, hopefully, it's a good one.

JD
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: A Ray of Hope, the story of Tampa Bay.

Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-16-47-17

Mr. Cash, thank you for joining us on this Spring Training Preview. How are you feeling so far?

Hi Juan, thanks for having me. Feeling good. As always, happy to be here. Tampa is in my blood as you know. I am really pumped for this season if truth be told. I remember growing up here, we didn't even have a team yet. Now I need to pinch myself and realize that I am leading a good ball club for the city of Tampa, a very good ball club.

That's good to hear Kevin, you have always been a fan favorite here at the Trop, what should the fans be looking forward to this year?

I hope they know the feeling is mutual. People often give the Rays fan's a tough time for not being "good" fans. Well, I say that we as a well-paid sports team, need to be better at providing a product that is worthy of their hard-earned cash. We will earn it this year, that I promise.

That all sounds good, but can you give me something tangible?

Haha, yes sure. We have a good team, the best since I've been here. I loved the moves that Eric has made and I feel we have got better as a ball club. Our fundamentals should be good. Defense, check. Pitching, Check, that speed and power combination? Check & Check. I am also excited about the dynamic of the team. Lots of hungry players who are ready to fight for this town. We often get overlooked down here, there is a strong feeling in the group that it will simply be impossible to not take notice of Rays baseball in 2020.

Last edited by EnglishBaseball; 03-25-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Rookie

Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-16-55-34

Here we will have a look into some of the big looming questions that hang over the club as Catchers and Pitchers get ready to report. Will be an interesting month ahead, Cash mentioned there are only a few "locks". Realistically there is a good proportion of the roster is set, but Cash has said he will give players a chance to show their value.

Who will be on the mound against the Pirates on the 26th of March?

This is up in the air, my heart says Snell but my brain says, Morton. This team needs 2018 Snell. It would be my opinion that giving him the ball on opening day will set the tone for his season. However, he will have to prove he deserves it in spring. For me, it's his to lose.

Big Mike Z looks to be the everyday catcher, who will be his relief?

For me it comes down to the way they handle the staff. GM's say it isn't the case all the time but believe me it is. I think Kevin will have to listen to their say then go with his gut/spring performance. I would say 27 Year Old Michal Perez would be first in line, however, veteran Hermann & Smith will be keen to impress.

The rotation locks seems to be Morton, Snell, Glasnow. Are the 4th and 5th slots set for Chirinos and Yarbrough?

In theory I would say yes. However, word on the street is that Banda, Richards & McKay will have the chance to belong at this level. I would think it would be too early for McKay and he will likely start at AAA. However, if he blows doors down and hits a few dingers there could be a conversation to be had.

Who starts at 1B & DH?

This will be an interesting battle. The obvious solution would be to get Choi to bat against RHP and newly acquired Martinez against LHP. Nate Lowe will be looking to impress and he is my wildcard to grab the 1B position by the horns. They will also be looking to get creative in finding ways to get Diaz and 28-year-old Japanese import Tsutsugo at-bats. Its all to play for.

On Tsutsugo, where do we see his position down the line?

If he can prove that he can hit stateside. I gather the idea is to play him as an LF. The Rays were impressed with his versatility, so he should get AB's in various forms. DH, 3B, 2B & LEFT all seem options moving forward.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
Rookie

Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-17-26-26

The new prospect rankings are out for the 2020 season and...

It makes great reading for Tampa Bay Ray fans. The organization has come in as the number 1 ranked farm system.

It is headlined by phenom Wander Franco. He is predicted to start in AA this year as he is only 19 years old. He dominated last year and constantly left scouts in disbelief with his ability on the diamond. He is predicted to rise fast if he continues this trend.

There will be a shot in the arm if needed in 2020 for the Major League team. Brendan McKay, Vidal Brujan & Brent Honeywell will be in the Major League camp this spring, although they are long shots to make the team out of camp. There is also trade value here if they find themselves in contention down the stretch.

There is strength all over the system here. Early whispers suggest that the Rays will be looking at a C / 1B prospect in the draft. Although, as always. They will take the top player available.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
Rookie

Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-36-52

Blake Snell & Kevin Kiermaier let loose on a twitter Q&A during spring training. Blake was his usual open self and answered some pretty interesting questions. Seems that spring is going well for the Rays, currently sitting at just over 500. Preliminary cuts being made and the Major League camp stands at 36.

Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-40-47
Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-41-38
Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-42-16
Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-43-23
Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-44-14
Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-45-23
Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-46-29
Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-47-34
Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-48-28
Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-49-47
Screenshot-2020-03-25-at-21-50-54
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
Rookie

Screenshot-2020-03-26-at-12-49-45

Spring Training Review

Spring has sprung. That was fun. Who's ready for the Pirates? I know I am. Lets recap Spring Training shall we? It was a successful one for the team with a few surprises dotted here and there.

The Bats.

Austin Meadows had a wonderful spring and looks primed to take a step forward this year, god I love this trade more and more as time goes on. I thought it was meant to be the Pirates who did the pillaging?

It was a good Spring for almost all the boys, KK struggled but I am sure he will revert to the norm.

In terms of position battles, Let's start with the backup Catcher position?

Hermann struggled at the plate and behind the dish. After batting just .211 he was released. It was down to Smith & Perez. Smith's star shined the brightest and Perez was optioned to AAA.

In terms of the OF spots, this Rays team has lots of positional flexibility. This is great, however, it leads to not black & white roster choices. Arozarena impressed, however, he lost out to Margot as the natural 4th OF and was optioned to AAA. Cozens performed well all spring, Cash stated this was probably the hardest decision of the spring.

"He was keeping me up all night, it was hard to tell him he hadn't made the team. He did everything he could, it became a mathematical issue. I told him, go down to AAA and force my hand. He shook my hand and said, No Doubt"

In the infield, Daniel Robertson played himself into securing the conventional Utility spot. Meaning Brosseau was sent down to AAA after failing to get hot while 1B prospect Nate Lowe was left wanting. Nate did show promise, however, and it seems primed to take advantage of a potential poor start from one of Choi or Martinez however. At bats are key for him at this stage.

Screenshot-2020-03-26-at-12-45-36

The Pitching Staff

This wasn't as much fun to watch fold out as the position players. Snell dominated and penciled his position on the mound for the 26th of March at The Trop. Morton followed suit along with strong performances from Glasnow, Yarbrough & Chirinos. Trevor Richards performed well and secured himself as the Long Relief Pitcher out of the pen to start the season. Castillo and Alvardo secured the Set Up spots while Anderson locked down the Closer position. Chaz Roe & Oliver Drake round out the bullpen along with LHP Poche. Alvardo and his 100+ heater particularly stood out.

McKay, Banda, and Honeywell were optioned to AAA in order to get more innings under their belt. It will be interesting to watch them develop in Durham.

The Pitching Staff looks to be in good shape to start the season.

Screenshot-2020-03-26-at-12-45-58

The Standings

The Rays finished 4th in The Grapefruit League, mainly due to strong situational hitting and great pitching.

Screenshot-2020-03-26-at-12-46-10

With Opening Day just around the corner, it is expected that Erick Neander will release the final 26 man roster sometime later today.

We will have much more content throughout the year on DRB so stay tuned.

Who's looking forward to being back at The Trop?
Old 03-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
Rookie

Screenshot-2020-03-26-at-15-07-59

Press Release: 03/24/20

Tampa Bay Rays General Manager Erick Neander announces the Opening Day 25 man roster.

All future transactions and assignments of Minor League players will be announced through the official channels before the commencement of the Minor League season.

The organization would like to place on record its thanks to all players and staff who contributed to a successful Spring Training.

Tampa Bay Rays Depth Chart - 2020
  • Catcher
  • M. Zunino
  • K. Smith
  • First Base
  • J. Choi
  • J. Martinez
  • Second Base
  • B. Lowe
  • J. Wendle
  • Third Base
  • Y. Diaz
  • Shortstop
  • W. Adames
  • D. Robertson
  • Left Field
  • H. Renfroe
  • Center Field
  • K. Kiermaier
  • M. Margot
  • Right Field
  • A. Meadows
  • Starting Pitcher
  • B. Snell
  • C. Morton
  • T. Glasnow
  • R. Yarbrough
  • Y. Chirinos
  • Relief Pitcher
  • T. Richards
  • C. Poche
  • O. Drake
  • J Alvarado
  • C. Roe
  • D. Castilo
  • Closer
  • N. Anderson
  • Designated Hitter
  • Y. Tsutsugo

Tickets for our upcoming games can be found here: https://www.mlb.com/rays/fans/downloadable-schedule
Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
Rookie

Screenshot-2020-03-26-at-15-33-34

Rays drop first game of the season 5-3 to Pirates

Opening day special coverage. Normal coverage of series recaps to return.
Pittsburgh Pirates at Tampa Bay Rays
Mar 26, 2020123456789RHE
Pittsburgh (1-0)010000130590
Tampa Bay (0-1)0010100103130
W: C.Kuhl (1-0) L: B.Snell (0-1) S: K.Kela (1)
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSPITTAM
Pittsburgh Pirates
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
Moran, 3B3022010666
Tampa Bay Rays
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
Adames, SS5032020600
Meadows, RF5020020400
Zunino, C4120020500
Pittsburgh Pirates
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
Taillon59220403.60
Tampa Bay Rays
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
Snell7.07443505.14

It was a tough opening day loss for The Tampa Bay Rays. 2020 was full of hope for this team, however many left The Trop tonight feeling a sense of gloom. Am I being overdramatic? Sure. Ray's actually played some good ball tonight and Snell's line doesn't do his performance justice. Let's have a look at how the game played out...

The first inning started off rough for Snell who wasn't getting the calls from old blue behind the plate. However, after allowing a bloop hit to start the game, he got a pop-up and ground ball double play to get out of it.

Meadows got a Tripple in the bottom of the 1st against the shift, heads up base running that led to a missed opportunity as Renfroe was unable to capitalize.

The second frame left more to be desired for Snell as he surrendered two soft singles and a walk to leave the bases loaded. A run scored on a double play before he got out of the inning with an important K.

Wendle tied the game in the bottom of the third due to some great baserunning. He scored from second on an infield single. Heads up play leading to a 1-1 ball game.

Fast-forwarding to the 5th, Zunino throws out a would-be base stealer (his second of the game) to end the inning. He then leads off the bottom half with a double-smoked to the LF gap. Wendle then hits a Texas Leaguer into RF but is caught being greedy and picked off as he takes a big turn rounding first.

Zunino on 3rd, two out. Adames steps up to send a solid base hit into CF. Rays up 2-1.

Top of the 7th, bases loaded man on third. A suicide squeeze is executed perfectly to tie the score up at 2. Pirates showing some National League baseball to perfection.

Top of the 8th and the game is tied. Snell is still out there with his pitch count in the 80's. He allows the first two on with a single and a walk. Cash decides that is enough and calls for flamethrower Castilo who impressed in Spring. It was a Double and an RBI for Reynolds. This led to an intentional walk of Josh Bell for bases loaded, nobody out.

Infield in, Moran cuts a chopper up the middle just out of the reach of Lowe at second, two runs score and it's a 5-2 ball game. Castilo then proceeds to retire the side with a strikeout and double play.

The Rays tried to respond straight away in the bottom of the 8th, a bases-loaded walk made it a 5-3 game. Wendle then popped up to end the threat.

The Rays couldn't touch Kela as he struck out the side. Ray's drop the opener at home to the Pirates.

Cash: I thought we played well today, Blake dug in and was unlucky in my opinion. It was great for Tsutsugo to get his first hit in the Majors too. We go again in two days.

Snell: Thats on me today, I didn't deliver how I was delivering in Spring. The issue with being a starter in baseball is you have to wait 5 days to rectify your mistakes. I'll be ready.

Up next is Charlie Morton vs Joe Musgrove as the Rays look to level the series.

Feel free to leave your comments below.

Last edited by EnglishBaseball; 03-26-2020 at 12:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »