Home

I'm not a programmer, but i worked in Network Communications.

This is a discussion on I'm not a programmer, but i worked in Network Communications. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0
I'm not a programmer, but i worked in Network Communications.

We're always complaining about the servers being laggy and unresponsive. I went AFK for an hour and when i came back was not disconnected from The Neighborhood. I can only imagine the number of idle users doing what i did. I may not be using much data standing still, but this is still an active connection to the server and that bandwidth could have been allocated to another user. There are just too many things like this with this game. Complete lack of common sense.

Now, before anyone says something like "if you're that concerned about it, you should have DCed yourself." That still doesn't account for the thousands of users that are idle all the time.

In GTA Online you're allotted 15 minutes if idle time. I think that's plenty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: I'm not a programmer, but i worked in Network Communications.

Must be new in 20? It was definitely a thing until recently - when I was away for a while, I used to put my controller down in a way that the left joystick was jammed in a direction so my character keep running (into a wall eventually) and I wouldn't get kicked off due to inactivity.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Must be new in 20? It was definitely a thing until recently - when I was away for a while, I used to put my controller down in a way that the left joystick was jammed in a direction so my character keep running (into a wall eventually) and I wouldn't get kicked off due to inactivity.
thats different.because there's no way for them to know you're not actually playing if you're in a game or walking around running into a wall in the neighborhood.

you can do that on GTA as well, as long as you're moving. it wont kick you after 15 mins. the clock starts due to inactivity for a few min.

But what the OP is saying is true. people are in the neighborhood just chillin and away from their controllers completely. probably made a store run/food run. doing that clogs up the servers.

They should kick more people for inactivity. The xbox in general will kick you from 2k's servers or any other server if you have it set where it will only idle for so long before the screen saver comes on and the screen goes a little darker than normal,then eventually because you're not "in focus" to the game you had on, it will kick you from that games server. but i think thats more MS doing that than it is 2k. but 2k doesnt really want to kick you. you know why? in artificially inflates their numbers for online players/consecutive online players. why do they care about that? because that is a nice bargaining chip when trying to get a new advertisement contract. You tell Express for Men that you have 1 million people online at the same time. and they will pay you more to show their clothing and other Ads.since they are reaching a larger audience.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
thats different.because there's no way for them to know you're not actually playing if you're in a game or walking around running into a wall in the neighborhood.

you can do that on GTA as well, as long as you're moving. it wont kick you after 15 mins. the clock starts due to inactivity for a few min.

But what the OP is saying is true. people are in the neighborhood just chillin and away from their controllers completely. probably made a store run/food run. doing that clogs up the servers.

They should kick more people for inactivity. The xbox in general will kick you from 2k's servers or any other server if you have it set where it will only idle for so long before the screen saver comes on and the screen goes a little darker than normal,then eventually because you're not "in focus" to the game you had on, it will kick you from that games server. but i think thats more MS doing that than it is 2k. but 2k doesnt really want to kick you. you know why? in artificially inflates their numbers for online players/consecutive online players. why do they care about that? because that is a nice bargaining chip when trying to get a new advertisement contract. You tell Express for Men that you have 1 million people online at the same time. and they will pay you more to show their clothing and other Ads.since they are reaching a larger audience.
someone gets it.

Those ads you speak of are why 2K's designed the grind-fests that's plagued MYPlayer, and you're forced to start from scratch every year.

It's a hell of a business model. Sony is splashing around in those waters with MLB The Show too. Single player/character mode has less freedom, more grind, and ads JUST COINCIDENTALLY HAPPENED to appear in subsequent years.

The raw daily active user counts are what any platform presents to an advertiser to convince them their content will be seen--just like 30 sec spots during the SuperBowl costs millions, guaranteed viewers; pay up.

So, no...2K/Take Two has zero interest in culling the idle folks. They're straight $$$.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:49 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
someone gets it.

Those ads you speak of are why 2K's designed the grind-fests that's plagued MYPlayer, and you're forced to start from scratch every year.

It's a hell of a business model. Sony is splashing around in those waters with MLB The Show too. Single player/character mode has less freedom, more grind, and ads JUST COINCIDENTALLY HAPPENED to appear in subsequent years.

The raw daily active user counts are what any platform presents to an advertiser to convince them their content will be seen--just like 30 sec spots during the SuperBowl costs millions, guaranteed viewers; pay up.

So, no...2K/Take Two has zero interest in culling the idle folks. They're straight $$$.
I've been saying something similar for a while. 2K, and indeed Take Two in general, care less and less about game quality,balance and all that stuff because they are now a "brand" in the business of selling microtransactions and ad time....that's where the real money is made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2020, 02:57 AM   #6
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain

Right. What I'm saying is, I *had* to do that recently to *avoid* being kicked, so being kicked for inactivity was definitely a thing until recently. I'm sure it was 2K19 where I was doing that.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:32 AM   #7
MVP

tru11's Arena

you can just flip your controller making the analog point in a direction.

programm all you want.
you aint solving that riddle....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »