Home

100% Smothered on Inside Shots

This is a discussion on 100% Smothered on Inside Shots within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
100% Smothered on Inside Shots

Is this bug back? Last time it happened after one of those little updates that tell you to return to the home screen. Feels like every single post move or inside shot gets 70%-100% smothered. They quietly fixed this between updates a few months ago, im not sure if everybody knew about it. Anyway, im just wondering if its back
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Pro

Re: 100% Smothered on Inside Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastthesherg
Is this bug back? Last time it happened after one of those little updates that tell you to return to the home screen. Feels like every single post move or inside shot gets 70%-100% smothered. They quietly fixed this between updates a few months ago, im not sure if everybody knew about it. Anyway, im just wondering if its back
it was never completely fixed but yes its back or never left and got worse.

dudes are getting faked out of their jordans and are completed out of position to block your shot or effect your shot. yet and still 70% - 100% smothered every..single...time.
its like 2k wants you to blow the layup with your bigs. or its like they dont want any bigs in the paint at all they just want shooting from guards/perimeter guys and slashing from those same players, all bigs are supposed to do according to 2k is set screens, grab rebounds, and kick the ball out, thats it.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
it was never completely fixed but yes its back or never left and got worse.

dudes are getting faked out of their jordans and are completed out of position to block your shot or effect your shot. yet and still 70% - 100% smothered every..single...time.
its like 2k wants you to blow the layup with your bigs. or its like they dont want any bigs in the paint at all they just want shooting from guards/perimeter guys and slashing from those same players, all bigs are supposed to do according to 2k is set screens, grab rebounds, and kick the ball out, thats it.
Something I noticed recently is that in order for the game to register your body shielding the ball, you HAVE to trigger the reverse layup animation. Even if a regular layup will put your body and the hoop between the defender and the ball, the game will ignore that positioning because it is "not a reverse layup".
Old 03-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
Something I noticed recently is that in order for the game to register your body shielding the ball, you HAVE to trigger the reverse layup animation. Even if a regular layup will put your body and the hoop between the defender and the ball, the game will ignore that positioning because it is "not a reverse layup".
bad programming if you ask me. thats a lazy way to program that part of the game to link it to a reverse layup only because thats the only layup that assures you're trying to go to the other side of the hoop. vs it having logic that states, if Rim is here at Coordinates(X,Y,Z) then if offensive player with ball is at coordinates (-X,Y,- Z) and defensive player is at (+X, Y, +Z) then do not activate intimidator.

But you dont even have to go there. the only reason they do is because that badge is too powerful and the area effect is way to large. even the idea of the badge vs how it works is off.

lets take a step back.

Anthony Davis will swat your shot. you know this, when you go to the rack you think about him being there. but thinking about him being there does not Force you to spazz out and go into weird animations. Thinking about him being there can take your concentration off a layup or make you more hyper focused to make said layup. if you get scared enough you can double tap the shot button to do an acrobat layup. hence the acrobat badge.

in real life, no defender MAKES you animate just by standing there. but thats exactly what it does in 2k. that alone kills a lot of the realism of how it SHOULD work vs how it does work. which when its trying to do the right thing"like you're talking above. to reward someone for going on the opposite side of the rim" it can't figure it out in most scenarios. because the foundation is just wrong from the start.

intimidator badge should be a mental badge only. but you should have a focus badge on offense. the higher your focus, the more normal speed your shot or layup bar moves. the lower your focus the faster that bar moves.

the best bet would be to go back to NBA elite or even use madden's field goals as a solution. more skill based.

You have the shot bar, and another bar going across the other way. you should get it within a certain range of both of those bars in order to make more of your shots. a perfect shot is when both things cross perfectly. so imagine going up again anthony davis like player in the rec with all their badges, and you're a 60 overall. your focus will be very very low at that point. so you can still make the shot but it will be super difficult. because you can barely see where to hit the release on the shot stick/button to get those cross hairs to lineup.

^^thats how you do it. but they wont go there because it takes more time to program and truth is, it will make it hard for the casuals. they dont want to do that. but programming for the casuals is making this game more and more unrealistic by the year.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
^^thats how you do it. but they wont go there because it takes more time to program and truth is, it will make it hard for the casuals. they dont want to do that. but programming for the casuals is making this game more and more unrealistic by the year.
I think this is a very good point.As I (and others) have stated before, 2K is no longer primarily geared towards students of the game, hardcore NBA fans, or even traditional sports gamers; it is now primarily geared towards casual gamers who are somewhat familiar with the NBA.Basically it is designed for people that think the NBA is all ESPN highlights who just want to hop on and do some flashy highlight plays on people while they're waiting for their Fortnite/CoD buddies to come online.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 10

Had to dig this up, but I just have a general complaint about 100% smothered:

It's strange that everyone is up in arms about green releases and them being 100% makes (or v v close), but you don't hear as much about how often 100% smothered happens. If we think about what 100% smothered would be, a ton of shots that are 100% smothered... aren't. haha.

I don't know if this helps balance, either. If greens should be 75% (or whatever), I think a lot of those shots, esp inside and where you're not body-to-body about to be blocked should have a 15+% chance of going in if you release well. If your animation isn't interrupted, I dunno how a shot can be 100% smothered... even if it's the DPOY you're shooting over.

-Smak
Old 08-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Had to dig this up, but I just have a general complaint about 100% smothered:

It's strange that everyone is up in arms about green releases and them being 100% makes (or v v close), but you don't hear as much about how often 100% smothered happens. If we think about what 100% smothered would be, a ton of shots that are 100% smothered... aren't. haha.

I don't know if this helps balance, either. If greens should be 75% (or whatever), I think a lot of those shots, esp inside and where you're not body-to-body about to be blocked should have a 15+% chance of going in if you release well. If your animation isn't interrupted, I dunno how a shot can be 100% smothered... even if it's the DPOY you're shooting over.

-Smak
glad you dug this thread up. no one talks about the 100% smothered nonsense because its an issue for bigmen. they dont care about big men in the paint. They care about perimeter players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »