Home

I have had it with this poor base running!!!

This is a discussion on I have had it with this poor base running!!! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-13-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0
I have had it with this poor base running!!!

I can not believe this does not bother more people.

I am using the Yankees and the batter with a speed rating of "9" hits a ball between the right and center fielder that goes all the way to the wall and by the time the batter reaches first base the center fielder "CPU" is already throwing the ball back to the infield. So yes the smart thing to do would have been to stay at first base for a single. However even though I knew I would be thrown out at second I tried for a double anyway because in real life this would have been an easy double. Yes even with a speed rating of "9"!

This and also the other issue where the CPU stays at first on a ball hit into the left or right field corner when it could be an easy extra base hit needs a lot of fixing.

Something is just flat out off with the base running speed!!!!!

In my opinion I think SDS made the "Slower" rated base runners way to slow. That's also why the CPU base runners do not try for an extra base hit sometimes on those corner outfield hits.

Maybe I am wrong but I think SDS needs to make the base runners run faster especially the players with very low speed ratings. And when I say faster I don't mean change the base runners speed ratings. I mean base runners with a 9 speed rating for example run like a turtle

I bet this will still be an issue in MLB The Show 20!

Last edited by tnixen; 02-13-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #2
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Re: I have had it with this poor base running!!!

I do feel like the runner/fielder balance is balanced for online play and to account for lag. That being said, I felt like I could achieve a good balance using sliders. Things will be even better in 20 with subtle starts entering the equation.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

It’s weird how experiences can differ from user to user. Last year I felt there was to many instances where the CPU actually ran themselves out of innings by trying to go home when they had no chance of making it
Old 02-13-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Base runner aggresiveness slider would fix this and we had it long ago. I don't understand why they dont put it back in.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
Pro

Yes a lot is left to be desired for base running especially from the CPU since I play using Player Lock. In all of the footage I have seen Stream, Game Spot, IGN etc. I have yet to see any of these 250 New Base Running Animations that were mentioned.

Last year there were two new base running animations! The trip and slide when trying to return to the bag when stealing a base and the CPU rounding second or third as if they were going to attempt to proceed to the next base. I am hoping for more but not seeing anything at this point!

I will see what they have updated in Franchise on todays stream at 3:00. I know the team is trying but I just wish more baseball fundamentals were implemented in this game from a defensive and offensive perspective from the start.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
Banned

tuckermaine's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen

I am using the Yankees and the batter with a speed rating of "9" hits a ball between the right and center fielder that goes all the way to the wall and by the time the batter reaches first base the center fielder "CPU" is already throwing the ball back to the infield. So yes the smart thing to do would have been to stay at first base for a single. However even though I knew I would be thrown out at second I tried for a double anyway because in real life this would have been an easy double. Yes even with a speed rating of "9"!

This and also the other issue where the CPU stays at first on a ball hit into the left or right field corner when it could be an easy extra base hit needs a lot of fixing.

In my opinion I think SDS made the "Slower" rated base runners way to slow. That's also why the CPU base runners do not try for an extra base hit sometimes on those corner outfield hits.

Maybe I am wrong but I think SDS needs to make the base runners run faster especially the players with very low speed ratings. And when I say faster I don't mean change the base runners speed ratings. I mean base runners with a 9 speed rating for example run like a turtle

I’m with you on this..very very frustrating in 19 for me..I had to stop playing because of it. I cpu vs cpu games and never..once ..have I seen a baserunner challenge a outfielder going first to second ..second to third..first to third ect.
They either Cruz in standing up at second ..or hold first when they could of challenged outfielders. Sad a very exciting part of baseball was missing .
Many good slider people gave me suggestions...sadly nothing worked.
I have not seen despite what people have said anything that has addressed this problem...They have new fielding button perfect ect...but nothing on baserunning aggression and realism ...
Old 02-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen

Yeah, "9" for a player speed rating is waaaaay too low. I have a power hitter that's speed rating is 20, and half of his hits that should be doubles end up being singles. I don't want to cheat and edit his speed though.....
Old 02-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
Rookie

dawgdan7280's Arena

OVR: 4

Setting the baserunning speed slider at 10 helped this for me (thanks WarmWind). I also put OF, IF throwing at 10. Balls hit to the wall are almost guaranteed doubles unless it's played perfectly with a very slow runner- but that happens IRL too. I even had a fast CPU runner actually stretch a single into a double. My CF cut off a low liner toward the gap, I fired to second, but on the wrong side of the bag as he slid in safe. Pretty cool.

This doesn't cause the routine grounder issues I thought it would- no issues at all really. Infield hits don't happen that often, but feel right when they do- speedsters hitting grounders to deep short for example. Feels even sweeter when you gun those guys down too.

The issue that remains is typically with guys already on base. For example, man on first and second, 1 out, ball hit to the wall, but man on second tries to tag up instead of going half way, then sprinting for home when it drops in. As a result, everybody only moves up one base- 0 RBI single instead of 1 or 2 RBI double. Still a little too much station to station from the CPU sometimes.

Might be able to fix it if you're willing to edit everybody's baserunning agressiveness attribute. I hate that type of thing, so I won't be doing it. I wish they would get rid of the individual aggressiveness rating all together, and just make it situational somehow. That might result in too many guys getting thrown out though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »