Home

How does the CPU know exactly when I am going to shoot the ball?

This is a discussion on How does the CPU know exactly when I am going to shoot the ball? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
Rookie

james_baller_84's Arena

OVR: 0
How does the CPU know exactly when I am going to shoot the ball?

I have been playing a lot of games as a post up center recently and have noticed something strange. I try to beat the cpu with up and unders and pump fakes and most of the time he will just stand there with his hands up not falling for fakes no matter how many I do, but as soon as I take a shot the cpu will contest perfectly. Anyone else experience something like this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
Rookie

adamspag's Arena

Re: How does the CPU know exactly when I am going to shoot the ball?

The CPU defends by responding to controller inputs instead of what is happening in front of them. So, you can pump fake all you want but it is going to know exactly when you pull the trigger on the shot.

It is essentially cheating to artificially make the game difficulty higher. The CPU falling for a pump fake is based on a % chance on every shot just like fouls are based on a % chance on every shot animation as opposed to actual body contact.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Rookie

james_baller_84's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamspag
The CPU defends by responding to controller inputs instead of what is happening in front of them. So, you can pump fake all you want but it is going to know exactly when you pull the trigger on the shot.

It is essentially cheating to artificially make the game difficulty higher. The CPU falling for a pump fake is based on a % chance on every shot just like fouls are based on a % chance on every shot animation as opposed to actual body contact.
What the hell? there is no way that is true lol. Da_Czar would never take short cuts like that when designing the AI. That would completely ruin the post up game.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamspag

Ding ding ding, we've got a winner.

Go MIAMI Teams!!
Old 12-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8

Not only do they respond to controller input, but they also respond to turnovers without looking them. I've spent an insane amount of time watching replays trying to figure out how the CPU is constantly fastbreaking and beating me down court. One thing I discovered is that their players will take off at the micro second the ball touches the hand of their team on a rebound or turnover, even if they aren't looking at the play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_baller_84
What the hell? there is no way that is true lol. Da_Czar would never take short cuts like that when designing the AI. That would completely ruin the post up game.
Same thing true with icon passing. I've been complaining about that for years.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Sorry it's true, I do think that they could mask it a lot better if they had more development time in a cycle to work just on AI stuff. Maybe with the improved CPUs in the next generation of consoles they can make so strides in all aspect of AI development.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
MVP

Crossover1's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
It's always been like this. The CPU responds to user input for everything and like other posters mentioned, mostly everything is based off of percentages. I've always thought they should just delay the input if that's the route they wanted to take and make it worse for worse defenders, but I guess that's too much to ask from the AI.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »