Home

Cover 4 Palms

This is a discussion on Cover 4 Palms within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Cover 4 Palms

Can somebody explain the different of a standard quarters coverage and Cover 4 Palms and how and when they should be used?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Cover 4 Palms

It's basically a cover 2 that can convert to cover 4 or vice-versa.

Anthony White with the Madden team made a few videos explaining the coverage rules, check them out:
https://youtu.be/_8BzGutlusM
Old 12-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #3
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quarters is an aggressive zone defense that converts to man based on route distribution and allows for 9 defenders to be involved in the run vs. 8 in single high coverages.

Cover-4 the two outside corners read the release of the two outside receivers #1. If #1 goes vertical, they convert to man. If #1 runs something underneath, the corners get to their deep 1/4... depending on formation and certain schemes, they'll drop to what's called the mid-point which is not quite deep 1/4.

Underneath, you've got the Mike backer playing the #3 receiver. That could be the back, could be the tight end, but he's going to typically play that middle hook area reading #3.

The outside backers/nickel back are quarter/flat. They're supposed to play anything the #2 receiver aggressively on any route underneath. Doesn't quite play out that way in Madden however. Haven't tested it extensively since the last patch, but before then, mesh and double digs would eat it up.

The two safeties read the release of the #2 receivers. If #2 goes vertical, they take him man to man. If #2 stays underneath, then they will look to help out the corners on the outside with #1. If #2 blocks, then they will scream downhill to fit the run. Unlike other coverages, BOTH safeties have run responsibilities.

It's really good against opponents that like to stretch the field vertically. Be careful though against the Post-Dig combo. Also known as Mills. It's pretty much a guaranteed TD every time because the safety will come down to take the dig and the post will be open right behind him.

PALMS - just think of it as the same setup as quarters only this time the two outside corners WON'T be reading the #1 receiver in front of them. In Palms they're going to be reading #2 -- the inside receiver. If #2 goes vertical or runs something underneath, then they will play #1 like normal. If #2 runs anything to the flat, they will jump that route and pass off the #1 receiver to the safety.

It's a good changeup if you're getting eaten up in the flats, especially out of bunch.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #4
Rookie

MasonOS95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Quarters is an aggressive zone defense that converts to man based on route distribution and allows for 9 defenders to be involved in the run vs. 8 in single high coverages.

Cover-4 the two outside corners read the release of the two outside receivers #1. If #1 goes vertical, they convert to man. If #1 runs something underneath, the corners get to their deep 1/4... depending on formation and certain schemes, they'll drop to what's called the mid-point which is not quite deep 1/4.

Underneath, you've got the Mike backer playing the #3 receiver. That could be the back, could be the tight end, but he's going to typically play that middle hook area reading #3.

The outside backers/nickel back are quarter/flat. They're supposed to play anything the #2 receiver aggressively on any route underneath. Doesn't quite play out that way in Madden however. Haven't tested it extensively since the last patch, but before then, mesh and double digs would eat it up.

The two safeties read the release of the #2 receivers. If #2 goes vertical, they take him man to man. If #2 stays underneath, then they will look to help out the corners on the outside with #1. If #2 blocks, then they will scream downhill to fit the run. Unlike other coverages, BOTH safeties have run responsibilities.

It's really good against opponents that like to stretch the field vertically. Be careful though against the Post-Dig combo. Also known as Mills. It's pretty much a guaranteed TD every time because the safety will come down to take the dig and the post will be open right behind him.

PALMS - just think of it as the same setup as quarters only this time the two outside corners WON'T be reading the #1 receiver in front of them. In Palms they're going to be reading #2 -- the inside receiver. If #2 goes vertical or runs something underneath, then they will play #1 like normal. If #2 runs anything to the flat, they will jump that route and pass off the #1 receiver to the safety.

It's a good changeup if you're getting eaten up in the flats, especially out of bunch.
Thanks for this
Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
MVP

Just want to add that when playing palms your quarter flat and inside deep quarter defenders will also pass off receivers when the offense runs concepts where they switch.

Getting defenders to pass off receivers who switch in this manner is pretty much *the* reason to use palms and why you mostly will want to play it against trips. It's also good against Bench concepts from tight 2x2 sets.

If you are going to play them I would highly recommend usering the 3-rec hook defender.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2019, 03:52 AM   #6
Pro

As far as playing against the cpu, would it be considered wrong or taking advantage of the cpu to use these defenses primarily between the 20's?

I play a lot of zone, trying to incorporate a bend but don't break philisophy, but if I have a team backed up near their goal line or inside my 20, I get more aggressive with man coverage and zone blitz schemes.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
Rookie

Just wanted to add that NFL teams that play zone out of 2 high safety looks in the modern NFL will generally be some form of Cover 4. The fact that it can look so different from play to play depending on what the offense runs is a big advantage. You rarely see the old spot dropping Cover 2 (or Tampa 2) anymore.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Osprey
As far as playing against the cpu, would it be considered wrong or taking advantage of the cpu to use these defenses primarily between the 20's?

I play a lot of zone, trying to incorporate a bend but don't break philisophy, but if I have a team backed up near their goal line or inside my 20, I get more aggressive with man coverage and zone blitz schemes.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Operation Sports mobile app
Nah, at least not thru my eyes. Nothing wrong with situational coaching. It's not like you're moving defenders around pre-snap to take advantage of CPU limitations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »