Home

Love this game but.....

This is a discussion on Love this game but..... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
Rookie

gp005's Arena

OVR: 0
Love this game but.....

I've just finished playing a whole season ... I've yet to throw out a baserunner from the outfield, whether it's a play at the plate or going for extra bases...
I've been thrown out on numerous occasion (I play with auto basrunning).. so it's possible.
I'm just wondering why the CPU is more aggressive for me on the base paths and not for CPU...
I do have outfield assists because I simmed about %20 of the season
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Love this game but.....

adjust your sliders. I use mike lowe sliders. very realistic.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I agree w/chisox14 about sliders but I'm not sure if Mike Lowe's will help or hurt. I dont guess he did a set for 19(?) but in his 18 slider set he has outfield arm strength at 4 and baserunner speed at 4. Might help to go with Mike's 4 at baserunner speed but maybe 6 at outfield arm strength. A&S and Marino went with 5 for outfield arm strength and 3 for baserunner speed. That's another good option. but yeah, like chisox14 says, slider tweaking can definitely help. IF you also employ patience in finding the right balance for YOU.

A Work in Progress
Old 12-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
Rookie

gp005's Arena

I appreciate the tips.. I play with mike Lowe's sliders for past couple years but this year I used my own set.. it's still similar to Mike's though
Anyways, I have fielder arm strength at 6 and baserunner speed at 5... I love the way the games play out so I dont wanna mess around...
Guess I'll just keep "gunning em down" ... not lol
Old 12-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
Rookie

I have played with these settings since The Show 13 and they have given me very realistic and exciting results:

Fielder Run Speed - 0
Fielder Reaction - 0
Fielder Arm Strength Infield - 0
Fielder Arm Strength Outfield - 0
Baserunner Speed - 4

With these settings, you see a distinction in fielding abilities based on how your players are rated for defense. Weak arms will be weak. Strong arms will be defensive assets. I play cpu- cpu, so these settings are all cpu. Baserunners will challenge weak arm outfielders for extra bases all the time, but you will sometimes get the perfect relay, with a strong-armed infielder converting a weak throw to the cutoff into a bang-bang play.

I also tweaked these settings:

Fielding Errors Infield - 7
Fielding Errors Outfield - 5 (default)
Throwing Errors Infield - 6
Throwing Errors Outfield - 5 (default)

These help the players play less than perfect, creating some exciting, unexpected moments during live games and realistic error totals in simmed games.

I also like stolen bases (old-school). So I tweaked these:

Baserunner Steal Ability - 10
Baserunner Steal Frequency - 10
They work along with:

Fastball Pitch Speed - 9
Offspeed Pitch Speed - 8
CPU Pickoffs - 10

With these settings, your best base-stealers will only be caught when the defensive cpu manager guesses right and uses a pitchout and/or slide step, along with a good throw from the catcher. But a catcher rated with a great arm could catch a base-stealer with only the help of a fastball from the pitcher. Breaking ball, not so successful. Also, the slowest runners will be sent, but in hit and run situations, to avoid double plays. But if the batter swings and misses...

My difficulty level is All-Star. I have other tweaks that have worked for me over different iterations of this game, but posted these to be relevant to this post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #6
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4

I think another reason why you might not see as many as you'd expect is because of the animations in the game.

Also, you if you simmed 20% of your season, I'm sure you may have missed a lot of assists (I notice that the baserunning gets a little wonky during the sims)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »