Home

The 7'3 speed dilemma(stamina is broken)

This is a discussion on The 7'3 speed dilemma(stamina is broken) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The 7'3 speed dilemma(stamina is broken)

There seems to be a consensus that the speed of max weight 7'3 centers is entirely too fast.

But has anyone ever confirmed this? I know people like kushmir and Nba2k labs do extensive testing of the game mechanics and I wonder if they would be willing to prove this notion(i will happily discuss payment options)

IMO they are slow moving laterally for the most part, but on fast-breaks I've seen them keep pace with guards and shorter centers no problem, maybe not neck to neck but enough to where the can catch the rebound/chasedown and be back on the other side of the court no problem. I don't play park often but the same issue remains. Height in 2k offers many benefits with the supposed downside being speed. but there seems to be something in the code that enables a min/max speed when holding R2(perhaps the acceleration stat is broken?)

As it stands i believe 7'3 center needs a massive stamina nerf so they will have to be conscious of their sprinting, Every myplayer can obtain 90+ stamina and that's a problem if its coded the same for every archetype/height. As of now you can literally sprint the entire game as a center with a gatorade boost and rarely tire out. Shaq in his prime played 39 minutes, That's still almost a quarter of sitting out/being less effective.

The stamina buff recently exacerbated this issue. and as a result we have 7'3 centers dominating every other center build which leads to a stale meta of 2 rebounders, picks, and 3 point shots/putbacks. I'm not decrying the height advantage, taller centers should get more rebounds but there has to be some type of drawback or incentive for people to actually create shorter characters. The league has many legends who excelled despite being smaller in stature because they outsmarted/outskilled opponents. 2k in its current state doesn't really permit that.

discuss
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Re: The 7'3 speed dilemma(stamina is broken)

Just seems hard to govern really. The entire mode is a bit unrealistic already with things like Gatorade boost and what not. A lot of big men do have good straight line speed, they have longer strides, it's typically quickness, fluidness, maybe acceleration that lacks behind in comparison. I think it would be hard for 2K to justify who can/can't have speed/stamina based on size alone. Somewhat takes the create-ability away from it.

You mention Shaq played 39 minutes and needed rests, true, but 39 minutes would have led the league last year... Wilt regularly played 45+ minutes. I just struggle to see how they can make adjustments that seem fair to everyone as a whole. Part of the reason I stay away from those modes altogether myself.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

7'3 bigs are definitely too fast on fastbreaks and also on closeouts out of a paint to perimeter.

They also should lost more stamina.

Why every center in park/rec is 7'3 because there is no cons again.

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2

Stamina mattering was cool for the first 3 days, smh. Now it's gone probably for the year.
Everyone in rec is still fastbreaking every play with no stamina penalty at the end of the game. Bigs are still throwing Tom Brady passes everytime and people are still doing doctor octopus steal spamming deflections on defense.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Banned

TheFgGoatLikesHawks's Arena

I think stamina is fine. Feels more like 2k19 gameplay, which is good. Ridiculous to have players feel like they're stuck in mud/quicksand when they're moving around. Right now is a good balance imo, although new patch is out so who knows what that does.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 10

7'3 needs to go. Why don't they just make it 7 foot max, or whatever would balance better.

I never needed turbo as a 7'3 big and I didn't put points in speed when I had other spots to put them. They are just like tanks or something. Gotta move them into the right spot with some intuition and then destroy everything.

Its either change the way height works in 2k (big task) or just say these stupid 7'3 cheese balls need to go. Then you don't have to worry as much about speed n Stam etc.

I mean it'd be funny to hear people rage out like wat no more 7'3 centers but it's kind of ridiculous cuz everyone knows it's not realistic to have one (or more) 7 3 guy on every team.

There are a lot of ways to try to balance it but none of them are guaranteed. What do they add to simulation immersion? Nothing. Remove.

-Smak
Old 09-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFgGoatLikesHawks
I think stamina is fine. Feels more like 2k19 gameplay, which is good. Ridiculous to have players feel like they're stuck in mud/quicksand when they're moving around. Right now is a good balance imo, although new patch is out so who knows what that does.
So we paid 60 for 2k19? I didn’t feel like I was in quick sand when I got quick first step.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
Banned

TheFgGoatLikesHawks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
7'3 needs to go. Why don't they just make it 7 foot max, or whatever would balance better.

I never needed turbo as a 7'3 big and I didn't put points in speed when I had other spots to put them. They are just like tanks or something. Gotta move them into the right spot with some intuition and then destroy everything.

Its either change the way height works in 2k (big task) or just say these stupid 7'3 cheese balls need to go. Then you don't have to worry as much about speed n Stam etc.

I mean it'd be funny to hear people rage out like wat no more 7'3 centers but it's kind of ridiculous cuz everyone knows it's not realistic to have one (or more) 7 3 guy on every team.

There are a lot of ways to try to balance it but none of them are guaranteed. What do they add to simulation immersion? Nothing. Remove.

-Smak

7'0 cap would be kinda extreme. 7'0 - 7'2 centers have been pretty common in the real NBA throughout history.

Recent or current NBA players

Tacko Fall - 7'7
Boban Marjanovic – 7’3”
Kristaps Porzingis – 7’3”
Bol Bol - 7'2"
Salah Mejri – 7’2”
Alexis Ajinca - 7'2"
Roy Hibbert - 7'2"
Timofey Mozgov – 7’1”
Zhou Qi – 7’1”
Ivica Zubac – 7’1”
Marc Gasol – 7’1”