Home

Classic Teams Easy to Beat? Issue with game or...?

This is a discussion on Classic Teams Easy to Beat? Issue with game or...? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-09-2019, 03:40 AM   #1
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

OVR: 0
Classic Teams Easy to Beat? Issue with game or...?

So i'm loving 2K20. To me its a masterpiece. But has anyone noticed that the Classic Teams are easy to beat? I'll start off by saying I am in no way bragging about my stick skills, i'm average at best. Every year I usually start off by playing 48 minute games against some legendary teams because I don't want to "play out" the current years rosters. I've played the 2007 Warriors, the 1993 Hornets and the 1998 Bulls. I used the 2020 Celtics.

I beat the Warriors by 5. Close game, they were a tough cover and Baron was awesome but I felt like I had it in control for the most part. (All-Star Difficulty, default sliders). I decided to try one more game on All-Star before increasing the difficulty.

I beat the 1993 Hornets by 39 on All-Star. I get it, they're a flawed roster, with a tiny point guard and very little spacing. But I abused them. I decided I'll go up to Superstar Difficulty.

The ultimate test, the 1998 Bulls. Surely I'll lose to them on this higher difficulty. Starts off tough, down 6, I'm thinking i'm in for a tough fight. I blew them out by 20.

I'm not sure what the reason for this is. I remember this happened last year too when the game first came out, I think someone explained that ACE for the classic teams hadn't been updated to be smart enough to handle adjustments and gameplan's yet. And that it was later fixed. Or am I remembering this wrong?

If it's not that, is it just the 3 point discrepancy then? The Bulls took 17 threes and only made 3 of them. I made 11 more threes than them on Superstar difficulty. That's a difference of 33 points in the game. Could it really just be the difference between a modern offense and an older one? I find it interesting that the game against the Warriors was the closest one and they're also a more modern team who takes more threes.

Could the explanation really be that simple? Even if it is, I imagine the Bulls would've put up more of a fight on defense. I'm guessing the classic teams haven't had their adaptive coaching engine updated yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2019, 03:48 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Classic Teams Easy to Beat? Issue with game or...?

Humans today are better than humans 20-30 years ago, news at 11

Anyway this post doesn't really explain how you beat them, only by how much, and thus isn't very effective at conveying any fixable issues.

The Classic teams have major depth issues because all the role players are super-underrated, low stamina ratings, awful Pass Perception ratings, etc. Beyond the obvious that some of them don't even have a fleshed out 10-man roster.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 09-09-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #3
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

They're also over rated in some areas and given crazy amounts of badges to make up for some of the things you mentioned.

The 98 Bulls are a pretty decently rounded out roster and I managed their smart rotation accurately before the game. I just don't see why I've been able to beat 2 90s teams by an average of 30 points, and one of them was on Superstar difficulty. I don't know what other specifics you were interested in. The gameplan wasn't anything advanced, sag off all their below average shooters, like Ron Harper, Rodman etc to help on Jordan. He still got 30+, but they lost by 20. The biggest difference was threes.

I did mention they both employed the full court trapping scheme that OG mentioned is going to be fixed in the next day or so. I got a lot of easy baskets out of that so maybe that is the culprit.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Rookie

the problem is that 2k compares players from the 80s with players from today. Todays players are way more athletic and the rules of the game are way too soft. I just adjust the ratings of the legends because i think it's unfair to say todays players are better than players of other decades
Old 09-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdoggydogg

I'm not sure what the reason for this is. I remember this happened last year too when the game first came out, I think someone explained that ACE for the classic teams hadn't been updated to be smart enough to handle adjustments and gameplan's yet. And that it was later fixed. Or am I remembering this wrong?

If it's not that, is it just the 3 point discrepancy then? The Bulls took 17 threes and only made 3 of them. I made 11 more threes than them on Superstar difficulty. That's a difference of 33 points in the game. Could it really just be the difference between a modern offense and an older one? I find it interesting that the game against the Warriors was the closest one and they're also a more modern team who takes more threes.
I think ACE does work for Classic Teams, it was the Player Movement that wasn´t implemented for Classic Teams in year 1 (if I remember Czar´s Blog correctly, 2K18 I think).

As for your "problem": I do believe the 3-Pointers are a big part of that, the Classic Teams just don´t have enough shooting, so the modern Teams just have a big advantage in that aspect of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHogan
the problem is that 2k compares players from the 80s with players from today. Todays players are way more athletic and the rules of the game are way too soft. I just adjust the ratings of the legends because i think it's unfair to say todays players are better than players of other decades
If the very good teams from the 90s are getting dusted by the decent teams of this generation then the game is working properly. The players of today are MILES better on average than in 1993. Just much better training, coaches, money, talent pool, systems, etc. The game evolved. Most pro sports have. Look at tennis now to 30 years ago. Miles better. Football, the average OL was 250 in 1993, today 300. Just miles better. There is a lot more money in pro sports. The only sport that saw a decline is Baseball and even then, they saw a massive skill upgrade. Bo Jackson even noted it.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

OVR: 61

One of the problems I've seen in recent years is that classic teams don't have a proper playbook to make use of their strengths in a correct way.They don't have "true identities" or are somewhat generic (offensively and defensively), and role players are usually underrated.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 3

I’m a huge fan of 80’s & 90’s NBA. I mostly play with classic teams every year. NBA was my favorite sport back then while I rarely watch a full game anymore.

However, I can’t see any of those teams matching up well with modern teams & I think 2k does a decent job of showing that. Way more offensive talent on teams today. Not many guys that you can just leave open. Nearly everyone can shoot the ball now. The old school game was more aggressive when it comes to attacking the paint but I don’t think that would beat a team that can shoot from the perimeter.

2k also doesn’t flesh out the classic playbooks well. Tendencies are usually pretty bad also.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »