Home

NBA 2K20 Demo: Staff Impressions

This is a discussion on NBA 2K20 Demo: Staff Impressions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA 2K20 Demo: Staff Impressions

Jeff Botkin The NBA 2K demo allows you the opportunity to create a unique player through...

Written By: Raychel Sanner

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NBA 2K20 Demo: Staff Impressions

I really liked the gameplay side of things and the MyPlayer builder is an improvement over last year.

I just wish I could test the same build more than once. That shouldn't even be a restriction. The game doesn't tell you you're only going to get to test it once so I just tested the build I want on 60 and that was it. Would have been really nice to get to test the same build at different overalls. I thought the whole point was to let us have the ability to be ensured we have the build we want. How are you going to know if it's the right build if you want to grind without getting to test it at different levels?
Old 08-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

It still annoys me that I can't make a 6'10 point guard. I'm 255lbs and ran point my whole basketball life. I can understand the thought that a big man should be slow but that's not always the case. If you study early tapes of wilt, he was fast up and down the court. Take off the restrictions. If you want to add the difficulty of making a big man have 90+ speed, cool. But to limit the ability is not right. Its a video game people!!!
Old 08-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugsbunny
It still annoys me that I can't make a 6'10 point guard. I'm 255lbs and ran point my whole basketball life. I can understand the thought that a big man should be slow but that's not always the case. If you study early tapes of wilt, he was fast up and down the court. Take off the restrictions. If you want to add the difficulty of making a big man have 90+ speed, cool. But to limit the ability is not right. Its a video game people!!!
I'm not with any offline limitations.

This theoretically is easily remedied by giving offline MyCareer players complete autonomy, and as soon as you take that player online -- competitive balancing restrictions with charts/archetypes.

Who would this hurt exactly? 2K still gets their VC purchases from those who need that 85 immediately, offline players can actually "create your own build" by giving us 99 everything and then make maxing all attributes incredibly challenging - but possible, competitive online community would be intact. No changes except the portal to their preferred mode doesn't start offline. Which demographic isn't happy here?

I'm seriously considering not getting 2k20 because I'm not interested in another year of a glorified role player in MC, and while the gameplay is solid in the demo so far, I'm content to continue with my 2k19 Sonics ML (until they kill the servers).

Willing to drop the $65 if MC turns into a glorified ML player-lock experience with all of the production value & peripherals of MC. Anything less feels shortsighted by 2K.

It's time to split the modes.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Rookie

I am so glad somebody mentioned the pie chart. That is my source of frustration along with one other thing: BADGES.

Curious why things like post spin are a badge but post hook are a skill? Like the way the skills are done now but tbh the badges are a mess. It’s virtually impossible for a 3&D F to be effective because my badges are 34 total (12 in shooting) and pures are getting 30 there alone. Same w box out as a badge, standing dunk as a skill (feel like this should be tied directly to height/weight/vertical), reflexes as a badge, and worst of all imo is a quicker jump shot as a badge. You basically have to max that as a F to even think about getting a jumper off. Game is great it just imo shows favoritism again to pures of any kind & punishes all around w badges. I wish it were: choose pos, height, weight, & then based off that you have caps. No presets. Then you set them. Same # of skill, badge & even physical imo pts for everyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
Rookie

FunGaming44's Arena

I personally feel disappointed by the limitations, I honestly thought we got to test play builds as often as we wanted but being limited to only 1 game per build is just not right. Also i think it is crazy that we cant even edit the face and the body anymore. I accidently clicked by that part and now cant go back to edit the face again. I seriously hope that 2K brings an update to the demo and lift these limitations because I would love to compare different builds over different games before i decide which build to bring to the full game.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
Quote:
MyPlayer did have a generic aspect in the commentary as they referred to your player as “My Player” instead of the name you gave him. If this is changed for the release of the game, it will add a more personal experience.
The announcing was quite obviously a demo-only placeholder. Like, painfully obvious.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:00 AM   #8
Rookie

How to delete my player?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »