Home

Why doesn’t EA invest in bringing back NFL Head Coach alongside Madden?

This is a discussion on Why doesn’t EA invest in bringing back NFL Head Coach alongside Madden? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Why doesn’t EA invest in bringing back NFL Head Coach alongside Madden?

I still go back to NFL Head Coach 09 every now and then but it’s getting harder and harder to do so with my aging PS3. However, to this day it is probably the best NFL game I’ve ever played.

Madden is tailored to playing, getting online, MUT, etc. I’m not discounting any of those modes, but there is still a huge community that wants to play this game in pure franchise mode, in a sports management and coaching sense.

I can’t imagine the investment would be huge for EA, they already have game engines, they would just need to revamp franchise to be more enduring, immersive and tailored to a sports management audience.

I didn’t buy Madden 19, and on the fence with Madden 20, and that is purely because I get bored of the franchise mode within half a season.

Please EA, being back the NFL Head Coach series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why doesn’t EA invest in bringing back NFL Head Coach alongside Madden?

I'd love to see this. I still periodically go back and play Head Coach, although it is getting harder since the consoles are aging (if a coach hire has too many bidders, my game always crashes).

It won't happen for a few reasons. One is that Head Coach used a similar system to Madden in terms of on-the-field action, but there were some AI differences. Additionally, the menus, trade and draft logic, FA bidding, schemes, etc. meant that the game was actually pretty different than Madden. Doing something with that level of depth would require a fairly significant resources investment.

Which brings me to my next point, which absolutely breaks my heart--Head Coach didn't sell that well. It's a top 5 all-time game for me, but most people just weren't interested in a Madden game that didn't let them work the sticks themselves. I'd happily pay $100-200 for a really well-done, deep, and modern NFL Head Coach, but I'm afraid we'll never ever see it.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

I think I remember reading that it stunk as far as sales go. Probably one of the main reasons why it was never made again. I never was into that type of game, but my buddies loved it.

Playing:
Old 08-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
Just started!

OVR: 0

I'd rather just see a head coach style franchise mode in madden and I'd be more than happy.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

It wouldn't sell well without gameplay. Not being able to play games is going to be an absolute non-starter for even some of the most hardcore franchise players, myself included. It would be a net loss from the beginning.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Owner mode is on survival mode as it is. Not really touched since Josh Looman created it.

I would like to see a paid expansion pack that could bring in more money for EA and therefore expand it every year like UT
Old 08-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

NFL head coach should be Madden CFM but you play the games instead of watching them.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 1

I'd happily pay $20 or $30 for a "Head Coach" add on for DLC. Could be treated like an expansion pack for Madden. In fact, as this would be a way to monetize franchise every year, I'm kind of shocked this isn't something they do already. But I'm a weirdo who would also buy franchise stuff like '10 had...I recall purchasing a retirement package that allowed you to keep 2 players in the league from retiring every season (I kept Favre around until he was about 52 lol). I'd pay for all kinds of stuff like that for DLC.

But I wouldn't buy a standallone game without the gameplay.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Born in '82, 49er Faithful since 1986!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »