Home

NHL 20: Gameplay Impressions From Videos Released Across the Web

This is a discussion on NHL 20: Gameplay Impressions From Videos Released Across the Web within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-30-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 20: Gameplay Impressions From Videos Released Across the Web

A few days ago, gameplay started being released for NHL 20 from various sites like IGN...

Written By: Ryan

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
It is so bad , pulled my pre order just sticking with 2K and The Show for Now
Old 07-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: NHL 20: Gameplay Impressions From Videos Released Across the Web

The AI gameplay is just atrocious. I can't understand why they can't make the AI put more pressure on the puck carrier. Offensive zone entry is way too easy, just skate it in. The defense always drops back and gives up premium shooting chances every shift. Positioning is unheard of. Everyone is chasing the puck. Then the powerplay. How is it they can't get the AI to play power play? Players, whoever they are, have zero awareness.

I've seen enough to leave this game alone.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
Rookie

nddurst's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsgamefan
The AI gameplay is just atrocious. I can't understand why they can't make the AI put more pressure on the puck carrier. Offensive zone entry is way too easy, just skate it in. The defense always drops back and gives up premium shooting chances every shift. Positioning is unheard of. Everyone is chasing the puck. Then the powerplay. How is it they can't get the AI to play power play? Players, whoever they are, have zero awareness.

I don't post here often, but felt I should in this case. The problems you list above have been an issue in this franchise for, what, 8 or 10 years now? I can't remember a version of EA NHL on current or last gen where defensive pressure was anywhere near realistic. They just keep ignoring the AI. And the goalies. And the depth. This series is a laughable representation of its sport.

This will be eighth straight version I will be skipping. I used to be a rabid fan of the series, hungry and excited around this time of the year. Beginning with '13 me energy and enthusiasm for this (and most other EA Sports games) has faded to the point where it doesn't even register any longer. It's really a shame, and I don't see it changing until another developer steps in to make a good hockey game.

EA Sports just doesn't cut it.

Last edited by nddurst; 07-30-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
In the first period video, there was a total of three goals scored. All of the goals were scored by the New Jersey Devils, and all of the goals were almost identical and basically the same kind of goal we’ve seen a million times over the past decade in this franchise.
THIS EXACTLY! All the goals seem to be the same all the time. Been like this for years!!! Skate down the wing and either shoot or pass for a goal. You might get the ocassional slapshot goal from the point. That's it folks! Breakaways are rare, and you wont see the CPU have many of them either. There's just no structure on how the CPU and Human CPU AI plays in this game.

Have the development team seen videos of actually NHL games and goals? Pucks bouncing off players, goals scored from the boards, pucks trickling in on shots from the point and near the goal net. Put back goals. Wrap around goals from behind the net. 2 on 1s, 3 on 1s, 1 on 1s. The goalie physics and animations suck too! We see it all the time in the real NHL and not in this game. EA you got any clue on how to make a hockey game?? Smh..

EA has made a big deal about signature shooting and more control and authenticity, yet you see none in the videos we have seen so far. Is EA ****ing with us? No signature shots, no new scoring setups like Ryan said. Unbelievable... We should all sue them for false advertisement, or even better boycott them and don't buy their game.

EA have turned this franchise into an arcade "ping pong" video hockey game and neglected the hardcore sim fans who want more realism. They just don't care anymore. I've had more fun playing NHL 93 and 94 on my Genesis (which came out 27 years ago) then this piece of horse **** over the last 10 years.

I'm passing on this game this year and saving my money. EA can suck it!

Ryan thanks for your impressions buddy! Thanks for calling out EA on their game. They have lied to us for years and are giving us the same BS every year.

Last edited by Peter_OS; 08-14-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
Nak Muay

pslieber's Arena

OVR: 5

Nice post and analysis.

The most glaring flaw, to me, is the AI's inability to adapt to a human opponent with little creativity. Board breakout -> Center of neutral zone -> Cross crease pass, over and over again. On D: Defenceman stepping up at the blue line for big hit over and over again. Rinse wash repeat.

SJ didn't adjust tactics to cut off cross crease passing lanes, it failed to rely on team speed on breakouts (versus overpassing between D men), and didn't capitalize on the physical gambles by human player hitting.

If the AI can't adjust, I hold little confidence in CHEL playing any differently due to strategic programming flaws.

Game does look/sound nice, however. Nice lifts in presentation quality, skating representation, additional bouncing on passes (versus flat, tape to tape). Personally: I couldn't take any more Emrick. His shtick is old after a decade plus in the game, on TV.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
Nak Muay

pslieber's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsgamefan

This. You almost want to be shorthanded based on these elements.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #8
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Same game with a new coat of paint?

Definitely not paying $60 for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »