Home

Ranking All 32 Teams Based on Analytics

This is a discussion on Ranking All 32 Teams Based on Analytics within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Ranking All 32 Teams Based on Analytics

If any of you guys follow me on social media you may have seen these posted, however I wanted to post them all here in one consolidated place. Keep in mind as you read these that the overall ranking is based on their approximate value in long term franchises. The score I used to rank them is an aggregate of the 8 metrics I have been discussing throughout the week.

32-25: https://4verts.blogspot.com/2019/07/...ams-32-25.html

24-17: https://4verts.blogspot.com/2019/07/...ams-24-17.html

16-9: https://4verts.blogspot.com/2019/07/...eams-16-9.html

8-1: https://4verts.blogspot.com/2019/07/...teams-8-1.html

If you have any questions about methods, or how teams ended up were they are, I'll do my best to explain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Re: Ranking All 32 Teams Based on Analytics

This is awesome man. Seriously awesome. Loved reading these. I've been planning a Browns CFM since last year but got too locked into my Eagles in M19. Definitely starting with the Browns, but there's some really intriguing options out there like the Jets and Broncos.

Thanks for all of your work man. This is legit.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

OVR: 5

This is fantastic.

How is cap score calculated? For example, you have the Dolphins with the best cap situation, but there's anywhere from 5 through 9 teams with more cap flexibility next offseason depending on which cap tracker you look at.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOncomingStorm
This is fantastic.

How is cap score calculated? For example, you have the Dolphins with the best cap situation, but there's anywhere from 5 through 9 teams with more cap flexibility next offseason depending on which cap tracker you look at.
I took their projected cap leading into the off season and then built a formula looking at their impending free agents and developed a score. That score is basically to show how easy it will be too keep that team together heading into future seasons. The Bears for instance are showing a negative projection after season one, but also have some decently well rated guys to resign.

To be fair it doesn't account for potential retirements/cuts/ or simply not wanting a high rated guy back. I was doing the best with what I had to work with. I actually had to go import salaries from a 3rd party then cross my sheets over.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Rookie

drseanus's Arena

This is really interesting work. Thank you for this.

My thinking has evolved over the last couple of years to think that an elite, mobile o-line is almost OP. Last year, I ranked each team's projected starters based on a composite of age, RBK/PBK/LBK and ACC/AGI, and made my franchise decisions based on that (and my usual demand that I will be the first to lead this franchise to the Super Bowl). I haven't sat down with this year's ratings just yet, but will post when I do.

Your chosen categories make a lot of sense. Were you tempted to include the MLBs in the coverage ranks? There's been buzz in the analytics community for a while about the importance of coverage vs pass rush, and I certainly noticed the difference over the middle of the field in M19 when I had a fast coverage LB.

Now just need to work out how much of a challenge I want. Thanks again for this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drseanus
This is really interesting work. Thank you for this.

My thinking has evolved over the last couple of years to think that an elite, mobile o-line is almost OP. Last year, I ranked each team's projected starters based on a composite of age, RBK/PBK/LBK and ACC/AGI, and made my franchise decisions based on that (and my usual demand that I will be the first to lead this franchise to the Super Bowl). I haven't sat down with this year's ratings just yet, but will post when I do.

Your chosen categories make a lot of sense. Were you tempted to include the MLBs in the coverage ranks? There's been buzz in the analytics community for a while about the importance of coverage vs pass rush, and I certainly noticed the difference over the middle of the field in M19 when I had a fast coverage LB.

Now just need to work out how much of a challenge I want. Thanks again for this.
I considered using LB but my thinking was that it’s so heavily influenced by the user skill in Madden it doesn’t necessarily portray their true value wel.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #7
Rookie

ShadyFan25's Arena

This is awesome, thanks for doing this.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Looks about right for the Raiders, though I wish it weren't so. Love your work!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »