Home

Hoping "Hands Up" MORE EFFECTIVE in 2K20

This is a discussion on Hoping "Hands Up" MORE EFFECTIVE in 2K20 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Hoping "Hands Up" MORE EFFECTIVE in 2K20

I've gone on record saying the key to making defense more user-friendly is the R-stick. Pointing the R-stick at the offensive player should have long been the way to contest jumpers and shots at the basket in 2K. Steals and Blocks should be the more high-risk/high-reward options on D. But savvy players should be effective with good position defense and contests with good timing.

Still, hands up defense (R-stick with no modifier) should be one of the many options for us--especially for bad defenders...and shouldn't be so STATIC. Below i'm late getting back into the play with Redick and while this should probly be a foul the majority of the time, its an example of how Hands Up defense shouldn't result in our feet nailed to the floor like it does currently.

Although admittedly this strong Hand Ups up contest is one we'd like to see from Good and Elite defenders--Not JJ.

Last edited by Kushmir; 07-19-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Banned

hoopsfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Hoping "Hands Up" MORE EFFECTIVE in 2K20

Agreed...and making that hands up defense as a consistent option, would be a "huge game changer" for gameplay. It makes a world of difference. It is a normal occurrence in real life and should be added.

Foul numbers would increase as well (if 2K Developers implement & allow, which hasn't happened yet)...which is needed to meet the NBA League Average.

Last edited by hoopsfan; 07-17-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

My other issue is Hands Up should be a counter for offensive players being too aggressive. Charges are almost non-existent in gameplay and shouldn't be.

There is virtually no instance where a defender is in good position in Hands Up and a post/perimeter collides with them and gets whistled for an offensive foul.

Guys forcing the issue with a defender in good position with Hands Up should see Charges more often. Good defensive position and good timing on contests should factor in is all i'm saying. We certainly don't want the automatic misses of years past (contested makes are important) but defense still has a ways to go to catch up and this is one way it can make up lost ground.

Last edited by Kushmir; 07-18-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
MVP

I actually just spent some time messing around with the sliders, and started to get a handle on just how much effect they have on these types of defensive situations.

Just from some light testing, I've noticed you can make hands up defense anywhere from pointless to basically an automatic miss.You can also make it so that players can contest from a greater range,which also changes the animations defenders get so that badly timing/spamming defensive moves actually carries the defender out of the play more often as well as giving more realistic/varied results from shot blocks.The shooting fouls problem is also somewhat correctable as well.

I'd say the technology is definitely already there to greatly improve the online competitive experience without a major rebuild. In the short term it could probably be noticeably improved via hot fix with some better sliders.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
Rookie

adamspag's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
I've gone on record saying the key to making defense more user-friendly is the R-stick. Pointing the R-stick at the offensive player should have long been the way to contest jumpers and shots at the basket in 2K. Steals and Blocks should be the more high-risk/high-reward options on D. Savvy players should be effective with good position defense and contests with good timing.

Still, hands up defense (R-stick with no modifier) should be one of the many options for us--especially for bad defenders...and shouldn't be so STATIC. Below i'm late getting back into the play with Redick and while this should probly be a foul the majority of the time its an example of how Hands Up defense shouldn't result in our feet nailed to the floor like it does currently.

Although admittedly this strong Hand Ups up contest is one we'd like to see from Good and Elite defenders--Not JJ.
I disagree to be honest. I think there is little to no skill involved in just holding up the right stick and contesting a shot. On HOF difficulty it is extremely overpowered, it is literally all I do on defense and stops the majority of shots, especially those under the rim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
Pro

Can we change it though? Holding the stick up = light contest; flicking the stick up during shot animation = heavy contest.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:27 AM   #7
Rookie

KG5FromTheBean's Arena

yay that would be nice
Old 07-18-2019, 02:49 AM   #8
Rookie

SlimFast_GymRat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
I've gone on record saying the key to making defense more user-friendly is the R-stick. Pointing the R-stick at the offensive player should have long been the way to contest jumpers and shots at the basket in 2K. Steals and Blocks should be the more high-risk/high-reward options on D. Savvy players should be effective with good position defense and contests with good timing.

Still, hands up defense (R-stick with no modifier) should be one of the many options for us--especially for bad defenders...and shouldn't be so STATIC. Below i'm late getting back into the play with Redick and while this should probly be a foul the majority of the time its an example of how Hands Up defense shouldn't result in our feet nailed to the floor like it does currently.

I'm with you. And they have tools necessary to tune it properly.

The problem right now is there isn't enough contextual based animations to render the varied results we're looking for on D. The ones I see I also see way too often.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »