Home

What are the basics of determining trade value?

This is a discussion on What are the basics of determining trade value? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What are the basics of determining trade value?

So I have a question about how y'all determine who to trade and what to trade for in myleague? How do you come up with trades and eventually execute them? I'd like to be able to come up with trades outside of the trade finder? Bonus question is how do you come up with three team trades? I want to improve my GM skills
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: What are the basics of determining trade value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsman92
So I have a question about how y'all determine who to trade and what to trade for in myleague? How do you come up with trades and eventually execute them? I'd like to be able to come up with trades outside of the trade finder? Bonus question is how do you come up with three team trades? I want to improve my GM skills
I'm kind of a rookie GM here but I think a lot of coming up with trades is deciding what your goal is. That's going to be decided by the team you are controlling. In some cases, you might need just a couple of players while in others, you might want to tear everything down and start over.

I usually start by looking at my team and seeing how it plays before I make any trades to allow the team and the individual players to kind of prove themselves.

While you are doing that, it's good to take some time to figure out what kind of team you want to put together. That will help you more easily identify what kind of players you need.

Then, I establish some "house rules" that dictate how my trades are governed. One of my favorites is that the type of player I can trade for or pick up in free agency is dictated by the number of wins my team gets. That way instead of using the big market small market to guide who will go where, players will only come if they can be on teams that are winners. But even if I can draw a top player, I still will have to give up certain things in order to make a trade like that happen. This would be things like an additional player or an additional player and a first round draft pick.

After that, it's a matter of looking around the league to find the players you want that fit that game plan and trying to make it happen.

The good thing is there is no right or wrong answer and you can learn as you go which is what I am doing.

I've done a couple of videos that might help. One is on house rules for your myleague/mygm's and the second one is a video where I walk through the process I used to complete a couple of trades without using the trade finder to complete them.

Can't help on the three team trades. Haven't worked on that yet.

Here are the two videos. I think the ideas for house rules on trades starts about 15:00 mins or so but maybe you can pick up some other ideas as well from the rest of the video.

Hope it helps.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

Like the comment before, a lot of it is really based on what your goals are. Personally, I'm always just trying to be a playoff team, if I have a winning team I rarely trade. If my team is doing terrible I'm much more likely to pull the trigger. I've always lived by the principle that the team getting the best piece wins the trade. So if I'm offered two two star players for one three star player I'm going to decline it but if that trade is flipped and I'm offered one three star player in exchange for two two star players I usually take it
Old 07-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsman92
I thought this was a great video from the Pacers front office detailing the kind of thought and effort they put into their most recent trade for Malcolm Brogdon.

Thought there could be some additional insight from listening to the people who actually do it for real.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I let the game decide and use slight variations of their offered trade.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »