Home

Throwing is awful in this game.

This is a discussion on Throwing is awful in this game. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Throwing is awful in this game.

The throwing in this game is absolutely terrible. There is no haste whatsoever in the player to release the ball. This is particularly notable in rundowns. With a fielder on the target base, it can still take full seconds after the player has released the button for the in-game character to even begin throwing. And then when they throw, depending on how far back you ran the runner, the fielder throws this super slow, super awkward lollipop that moves slower than the runner. All these middle infielders can execute these super quick flips to second, but they can only throw the slowest, laziest lollipop in a rundown?

It is also notable when throwing to the home-plate cut off man. No matter how quickly I can get the ball in, or how well I time the throw, there is absolutely no hurry to get the runner out advancing to second. Instead some lackadaisical animation kicks in, then the player jumps to set his feet and fires a throw to second. Oh and heaven forbid you change your mind on which base to throw prior to the throwing animation even kicking in. Then the player just stands still for 2-3 seconds before trying the throw.

It just seems ridiculous when paired with the hero throws every single infielder and pitcher can make, in order to get the runner at first, that none of them can catch and release the ball in a fairly routine way.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.

Last edited by Kaiser Wilhelm; 05-11-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Pro

shark547's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Throwing is awful in this game.

I went to auto fielding 2 years ago and I don't think I will ever go back. This game can be so much fun to play when things work well defensively. Really sucks when it doesn't. I really used to enjoy playing defense in baseball games back in the day. I think game play takes a back seat to pretty animations and I have never really understood that about this game.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark547
I went to auto fielding 2 years ago and I don't think I will ever go back. This game can be so much fun to play when things work well defensively. Really sucks when it doesn't. I really used to enjoy playing defense in baseball games back in the day. I think game play takes a back seat to pretty animations and I have never really understood that about this game.
This was me pretty much every version since the games inception. This is the first year ever I've gone to Manual fielding and stuck with it. I love it. That said, I don't use analog throwing or the throwing meters or anything. Just basic manual fielding and throwing.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
MVP

For as smooth as a lot of the animations are, there’s definitely quite a few that remain slow and wonky, some of the chucks from the OF among them.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-12-2019, 12:34 AM   #5
Rookie

Ace1234NY's Arena

The throws from the OF always confound me. No urgency at all. I just don't get it, but it's frustrating. That and the OFs jogging still being there. Tho at least in fairness, I think these things also happen to the CPU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2019, 01:00 AM   #6
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

The only smooth animations I see with throwing are ones that are immediately from fielding or are the middle infielders turning the double play. Everything else is needlessly clunky. Its like SDS wanted to prevent some sort of cheese with throwing the ball by forcing every fielder to act like the play is over after they've received the ball (or if there is no force) leading to these non-chalant animations in the middle of a live play. The game then forces an actual throwing animation that has such a poor transition from those nonchalant animation (because they aren't meant to go together) which makes the game incredibly ugly and much easier to cheese on the basepaths as you can almost count on the game doing something stupid by not letting the fielder throw.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:15 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
The throwing in this game is absolutely terrible. There is no haste whatsoever in the player to release the ball. This is particularly notable in rundowns. With a fielder on the target base, it can still take full seconds after the player has released the button for the in-game character to even begin throwing. And then when they throw, depending on how far back you ran the runner, the fielder throws this super slow, super awkward lollipop that moves slower than the runner. All these middle infielders can execute these super quick flips to second, but they can only throw the slowest, laziest lollipop in a rundown?

It is also notable when throwing to the home-plate cut off man. No matter how quickly I can get the ball in, or how well I time the throw, there is absolutely no hurry to get the runner out advancing to second. Instead some lackadaisical animation kicks in, then the player jumps to set his feet and fires a throw to second. Oh and heaven forbid you change your mind on which base to throw prior to the throwing animation even kicking in. Then the player just stands still for 2-3 seconds before trying the throw.

It just seems ridiculous when paired with the hero throws every single infielder and pitcher can make, in order to get the runner at first, that none of them can catch and release the ball in a fairly routine way.
I noticed that as well. I've missed multiple double plays because of the slow reaction in throwing.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
Rookie

bjenks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm

Completely agree. Too many times my shortstop or second baseman will pat the ball in his glove three times and then tie his shoes before throwing it to first base. Meanwhile, a 22 speed guy is blazing down the line making the play way too close.

I also feel like the CPU base runners are much faster than anyone on the human side. If you get a ball that is in the dirt to the catcher, the CPU advances no problem. If I try to advance on a ball to the back stop, I'm thrown out almost every time.

www.twitch.tv/bjenks

Also, if you're interested, follow me on Twitter!
My Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »