Home

For the love of God, someone help/explain

This is a discussion on For the love of God, someone help/explain within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
For the love of God, someone help/explain

Hello all! So I need some help/advice.

Been playing this game since 989 days. Love it. Buy it every year and pretty decent at it. Usually just H2H matchups and usually in the top 200 every year (around 300 this year). Whatever whatever not really about that.

To give you idea, play HOF hitting and pitching. No guess pitches and no quick games. Usually use zone, but when slumping use directional.

So here is my beef. Especially in the last few years, hitting seems to be WAY too pre-determined than ever before. I will square up with someone like Mitch Haniger (Go M's) with good contact right in the middle of the plate...and fly out. I'll push the ball to right field on a fastball on the outside edge....and its a ground out. I've seen on these boards its always late is on time and good timing doesn't matter...but seriously this is crazy. Played a guy the other day (Reds V. Braves), dude struck out 19 times! A good 90% of my swings were good timing right smack dab on the ball and nothing! Went to the 12th and he sac'd in a run. I'm not asking for 9-8 ballgames every game, but come on! Good timing with a top 10 hitting team in the game against a 70 overall pitcher should get more than 4 hits. It makes the game seem already planned. The skill level doesnt seem to matter anymore it just depends on where the computer wants it.

I dont know man. For the love of God I'm going to throw my controller out the window! I cant be the only one dealing with this right? I know I'm not God's gift to this game either, but I'm not some scrub either. I just need someone to tell me I'm not crazy and help anyway possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Re: For the love of God, someone help/explain

Frig man, the same thing happened to me the other day.

I was playing as the Reds. I know they don't have the best lineup in baseball, but I've got Votto, Suarez, Winkler, Senzel, and Iglesias can line some singles out there for me sometimes too.

Anyway, there's a rain delay (Haven't seen a lot of these so far this season...c'mon SDS...), and out comes Mike Fiers to start for the A's.

MIKE FIERS.

Who knew that guy even really had a job this year.

Anyway, Fiers shows up and trots out like he's all that. Guys got a 6.81 ERA coming into the game, but of course, SDS has the predetermined at bats, and he just rolls through my lineup.

And the defense. C'mon!!!! I square up and line a sharp grounder, and the man of many errors, Jurickson Profar makes a spectacular play and I don't even get a single. And that's when I start to really KNOW something is up, and the game starts to feel really fishy for me. On the VERY NEXT PLAY I have Votto mash one. Squared up like nobodies business. Ball down the center of the plate, and I have perfect timing. What happens? Ramon Laureano makes some outrageous grab at the wall. Two outrageous plays in a row.

I end up getting a couple more chances, but Fiers and his 6.81 ERA hold me down, and I end up getting no hit.

Talk about pre determined outcomes, amirite?

This game is great, but that should never happen.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

It wasn't a rain delay...the lights in left field didn't come on.

To the OP...I'm sorry I really don't know what to say to offer tips. If you're squaring up pitches and constantly getting outs, or being perfectly on the ball and good timing and missing, I don't know what advice I can offer to correct that.

The only thing I can suggest is that maybe its an online thing?

I play offline and while I have my share of squared up pitches being hit right at someone for outs (the CPU does as well), its not the norm. And I definitely don't have an issue with being right on a pitch with the PCI, have good timing or better, and simply miss the pitch.

Sorry man, wish I had something to offer, but I just don't.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-11-2019, 02:11 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillow
Hello all! So I need some help/advice.

Been playing this game since 989 days. Love it. Buy it every year and pretty decent at it. Usually just H2H matchups and usually in the top 200 every year (around 300 this year). Whatever whatever not really about that.

To give you idea, play HOF hitting and pitching. No guess pitches and no quick games. Usually use zone, but when slumping use directional.

So here is my beef. Especially in the last few years, hitting seems to be WAY too pre-determined than ever before. I will square up with someone like Mitch Haniger (Go M's) with good contact right in the middle of the plate...and fly out. I'll push the ball to right field on a fastball on the outside edge....and its a ground out. I've seen on these boards its always late is on time and good timing doesn't matter...but seriously this is crazy. Played a guy the other day (Reds V. Braves), dude struck out 19 times! A good 90% of my swings were good timing right smack dab on the ball and nothing! Went to the 12th and he sac'd in a run. I'm not asking for 9-8 ballgames every game, but come on! Good timing with a top 10 hitting team in the game against a 70 overall pitcher should get more than 4 hits. It makes the game seem already planned. The skill level doesnt seem to matter anymore it just depends on where the computer wants it.

I dont know man. For the love of God I'm going to throw my controller out the window! I cant be the only one dealing with this right? I know I'm not God's gift to this game either, but I'm not some scrub either. I just need someone to tell me I'm not crazy and help anyway possible.
drop down to all-star for a few games and you wont feel like hitting is predetermined

A Work in Progress
Old 05-11-2019, 02:13 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7

I was playing as the Reds. I know they don't have the best lineup in baseball, but I've got Votto, Suarez, Winkler, Senzel, and Iglesias can line some singles out there for me sometimes too.

Anyway, there's a rain delay (Haven't seen a lot of these so far this season...c'mon SDS...), and out comes Mike Fiers to start for the A's.

MIKE FIERS.

Anyway, Fiers shows up and trots out like he's all that. Guys got a 6.81 ERA coming into the game, but of course, SDS has the predetermined at bats, and he just rolls through my lineup.

And the defense. C'mon!!!! I square up and line a sharp grounder, and the man of many errors, Jurickson Profar makes a spectacular play and I don't even get a single. And that's when I start to really KNOW something is up, and the game starts to feel really fishy for me. On the VERY NEXT PLAY I have Votto mash one. Squared up like nobodies business. Ball down the center of the plate, and I have perfect timing. What happens? Ramon Laureano makes some outrageous grab at the wall. Two outrageous plays in a row.

I end up getting a couple more chances, but Fiers and his 6.81 ERA hold me down, and I end up getting no hit.

lol
I almost made this exact post in another thread a couple days ago. glad it finally got said :thumbsup:

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #6
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7

MIKE FIERS.

This is golden. I skimmed through it at first and thought you were one of the “predetermined theorists,” then I realized what your post actually was about. I loved it
Old 05-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiziv
This is golden. I skimmed through it at first and thought you were one of the “predetermined theorists,” then I realized what your post actually was about. I loved it
Hahaha thanks. I wasn't going to do it, and sort of feel bad because it wasn't helpful at all, but as soon as I read "predetermined outcomes" it sets something off in me.

MIKE FRIGGIN' FIERS though, right? Baseball is weird.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Sometimes bad pitchers have good games. Sometimes good hitters have bad games. Sometimes players hit the ball hard.

One game I got only 3 hits and won 1-0. Next I won a game 10-1. Next I lost 7-6.

Predetermined outcomes don't exist. It's baseball. Just because I square up solid contact with a solid hitter it does not guarantee a homerun or even a hit. Well hit balls are hit right at people.

That's how baseball is.

Currently Playing:

No Man's Sky (PS5)
Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Stardew Valley (PC)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »