Home

Isn't it kinda bad when Forbes is telling you it's time to make changes?

This is a discussion on Isn't it kinda bad when Forbes is telling you it's time to make changes? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Isn't it kinda bad when Forbes is telling you it's time to make changes?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianma.../#395a72cb3a1d

Good read from a complete outside source about how the show has been resting on its laurels too long.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Re: Isn't it kinda bad when Forbes is telling you it's time to make changes?

This is a great article. Not only is it pretty much on point. Take notice of the tone and how he expressed himself.

Something that is completely lost on this forum lately by some members.

Thanks for posting this because this is how you communicate like an adult.

And I quote this from the article:

"The Twitch stream schedule introduces two "brand new game modes" called Moments and March to October. It's unclear whether either will be an extension of an existing mode, but those two options seem like our only real hope for something that moves The Show from really good to a complete masterpiece."

This game is really good. It is on the cusp of masterpiece. But I have been really dismayed at a lot of the seething posts and basic tomato throwing at this dev team that is passionate about their product.

Have they made some mis-steps? Yeah they have. No one is perfect. But their lack of presence here is clearly a by-product of the lack of maturity that has infected this once mature forum.

I hope we can try and get back to a good, calm and mature place we can all discuss the game and also get back to making the game better for ourselves through various settings, rosters and sliders. And also let's try and stop going at each other when we differ on our opinions.

We all have our idea's of ways they can improve franchise mode. No one is right or wrong. It is all idea sharing.
Dragons Dogma 2 (PS5)
Coming soon:
CFB 25 (PS5)
Madden 25 (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Old 02-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
This is a great article. Not only is it pretty much on point. Take notice of the tone and how he expressed himself.

Something that is completely lost on this forum lately by some members.

Thanks for posting this because this is how you communicate like an adult.

And I quote this from the article:

"The Twitch stream schedule introduces two "brand new game modes" called Moments and March to October. It's unclear whether either will be an extension of an existing mode, but those two options seem like our only real hope for something that moves The Show from really good to a complete masterpiece."

This game is really good. It is on the cusp of masterpiece. But I have been really dismayed at a lot of the seething posts and basic tomato throwing at this dev team that is passionate about their product.

Have they made some mis-steps? Yeah they have. No one is perfect. But their lack of presence here is clearly a by-product of the lack of maturity that has infected this once mature forum.

I hope we can try and get back to a good, calm and mature place we can all discuss the game and also get back to making the game better for ourselves through various settings, rosters and sliders. And also let's try and stop going at each other when we differ on our opinions.

We all have our idea's of ways they can improve franchise mode. No one is right or wrong. It is all idea sharing.
I agree for the most part. I think a lot of people (myself included) spew vitriol at the developers when in reality the game is quite good, it's just not great and has been stale for a while.

I don't however feel the developers stopped coming here because of us, I think it's honestly the opposite. The developers don't go to their own site either. They don't have to. It's gotten to the point where the game is good enough to sell itself and the developers aren't obligated to respond to our topics and posts so they don't. After all, no one wants to respond when 90% of the posts are derogatory in nature and especially when they don't have to. Most of us don't understand the politics of SDS and why they do what they do, so why should the developers be obligated to respond?

I also feel that while you may like the game a lot and I may not, we all should be a bit more understanding of the others feelings. You like the game, that's great, I shouldn't bite your head off for it. I feel the game has many shortcomings, you should be a bit more understanding of my opinion. We don't have to kill each other for having a difference of opinion, we should respect each other's opinions, especially when we both have good intentions, which is to improve on an otherwise solid game.

Last edited by Padgoi; 02-12-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianma.../#395a72cb3a1d

Good read from a complete outside source about how the show has been resting on its laurels too long.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That article hits it right out of the park in my opinion. I love the game, played every pitch and AB of my franchise last year and have seen nothing to make me change my mind as far as sticking with 18 this year. I know the devs are passionate but they’re playing it too safe now like EA do with Madden. And their disregard for franchise mode is glaring. Article is spot on.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
Rookie

Vercingetirex's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
That article hits it right out of the park in my opinion. I love the game, played every pitch and AB of my franchise last year and have seen nothing to make me change my mind as far as sticking with 18 this year. I know the devs are passionate but they’re playing it too safe now like EA do with Madden. And their disregard for franchise mode is glaring. Article is spot on.

In the same boat. Hopefully someone makes a decent roster set for 18 for the 19 season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
Rookie

Article was a good read and I hope it (or something) inspires the SDS group to go for a homerun next year (perhaps this year could be one too we still don't know).

Perhaps they need to change something such as their 3 year cycle on game modes. Maybe they need to increase the cycle frequency to every 2 years or add another team member so that the cycle includes more than 1 game mode at a time.

DD is a moneymaker and I complete get why it will always be a major focus for them. As primarily an offline franchise player (would like to try online if it ever returned) I think the article made a great point in saying that baseball is taylor made for franchise mode. I don't know if they don't listen to their community or if they just see no value in adding and making the necessary tweaks to the mode to make it great, but c'mon let's make this thing a masterpiece!

I remember on one of the streams (I think last years franchise stream but I could be wrong) someone had made a text comment asking if they fixed free agency and contracts and Ramone said something like "It's broken?". Well if he paid attention to the forums he would've known that it had issues. But wait, the community has been dying for 'phases' and easier to navigate menus?! What community?!?! They make the menus easier to navigate but leave the budget system absolutely non-sense! Weekly budgets is not what we want! It might be useful if they brought back the pricing aspect but even if they did, when I look at my budget I need to see two things with the third being optional but useful:
1) What is my teams cap?!
2) What is my current payroll? (how much space do I have)
3) Estimated cap needed for arbitration, renewals.

Real life contracts - I don't know why they don't do it and maybe its a legal issue but I am sick of seeing Albert Pujols not making anywhere close to what he should be making. In previous iterations it was AROD too. It throws the budget system out of whack! If you have a player with an albatross type contract it should hamstring your budget! If you're not going to use 'real' contracts at least put a fictional value that makes some sense. Where is the luxury tax in this game? Is it there and I just haven't seen it?

Put me on the payroll SDS! I'll monitor the forums and let you know what community actually wants.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
Banned

Could be a Sony decision. A lot of publishers bar their devs from much contact when criticism gets hot. It's pretty easy to say though they are doing not much at all with graphics. The devs are the only ones to blame here. They have had years. If you can't take criticism you might as well stop caring, which is basically what they have done. Snowflakes. Instead of taking some of these issues head on, they probably let people go and focus on their money makers in DD and stubs.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Rookie

wryan1978's Arena

OVR: 1

A small change that would make me excited is if they allowed us to choose the gametime for franchise games. If you carry over saves through multiple iterations of The Show you'll notice that Sunday night games don't exist at all starting in year 2. So if I started a franchise in The Show 17 and then did year 2 of that franchise in The Show 18 all of the Sunday games would take place during the day. It's admittidly a small thing, and I get why the logistics would be tough with everything they're carrying over from game to game, however, letting me pick what time every game I want to sim is played is what I think would be a really easy way to fix that.(just like how you choose the weather pre-game)

This is a very small change that would make me excited about franchise.

If they wanted to make me overjoyed they'd make a committment to getting uniforms correct complete with a willingness to tweak when obvious errors are pointed out in the forums.(ie. The Phillies uniform is the wrong shade of red, no Cardinals Alt hat, do the Mets jackets still have black in the lettering?) I'd even pay for dlc that does this if that's what was neccesary to get enough devs to implement this.

My point is that it's not innovation that I'm missing but a re-emphasis on core parts of the game that are already there.

Last edited by wryan1978; 02-12-2019 at 03:43 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »