Home

Your reason for playing Franchise

This is a discussion on Your reason for playing Franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #1
Pro

Ballgame59's Arena

OVR: 0
Your reason for playing Franchise

What is the biggest reason that you play Franchise seasons? Is it to play the 162 games? To see how many seasons that you can get through? Or is it to rebuild a team? See players come through the system that you choose?

I've only played on-line Franchise and I really hated the off season business. I played to play and manage the game/season. Now that there is no On-line seasons, I was thinking about starting up a franchise. I really only want to play and manage. I don't want to deal with the off season monotony. I also really enjoy historical rosters (I'm currently playing as the '86 Mets in Post Season mode. So - what is the reason that you play your franchise mode? What gets you excited about it year after year?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Your reason for playing Franchise

If I could distill it down to just one thing, it's that I like to tinker. Franchise mode provides the most toys for me to play with. Basically, I enjoy doing everything you don't. I view the "off season monotony" as a way to shave $500K off my budget. Or get that switch-hitting, defense-first 4th OF. Or very carefully consider whether my 7th best prospect should be promoted now or a month from now. Et cetera. Granted the depth in this mode is not close to where I'd want it to be (I want to tinker even more).

It sounds like bringing back season mode would be good for you. Hopefully the devs decide to do that.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

I like the stories I can create in my head. The game just provides the platform for them. So when I'm bored at work, I'll be thinking about the games I played the night before, about how player x is on target for a 30-30 season if I just try and steal a few more bases, how that injury might mean I need to make a trade or is it time for that prospect to come up. I end up scheming in my head what I might do next. (and on various scraps of paper)

I can't get that kind of narrative with DD, or any other mode really.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
Pro

Ballgame59's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
If I could distill it down to just one thing, it's that I like to tinker. Franchise mode provides the most toys for me to play with. Basically, I enjoy doing everything you don't. I view the "off season monotony" as a way to shave $500K off my budget. Or get that switch-hitting, defense-first 4th OF. Or very carefully consider whether my 7th best prospect should be promoted now or a month from now. Et cetera. Granted the depth in this mode is not close to where I'd want it to be (I want to tinker even more).

It sounds like bringing back season mode would be good for you. Hopefully the devs decide to do that.
Season mode would definitely be good for me. I mean, I did ok at the off season stuff but was so afraid of screwing up the team for the long term. Plus off season advance was usually on weekends when I work. That put me off as well. The league was around for a long time (and still is with '17) and I didn't want to ask them to change anything.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

My reason for playing is to get lost in my own virtual baseball world. See how things play out in my franchise versus that of the real world. Where do the stars sign? Who gets traded where? How well does a top prospect develop? Things of that nature.

And with carryover saves, that enjoyment that I seek and reasoning for playing is only further enhanced as now I don't have to start over and can let my virtual world continue to play out.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I like the immersion. I can't just play a bunch of play now games, I need to be working towards a long term goal in order to keep me playing
Old 01-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
My reason for playing is to get lost in my own virtual baseball world. See how things play out in my franchise versus that of the real world. Where do the stars sign? Who gets traded where? How well does a top prospect develop? Things of that nature.

And with carryover saves, that enjoyment that I seek and reasoning for playing is only further enhanced as now I don't have to start over and can let my virtual world continue to play out.

This pretty much sums up why I love and exclusively only play franchise mode in all my sports games (NFL, NBA, NHL).

Getting lost in my virtual universe and the challenge of creating a dynasty. And of course the Storylines.

Sent from Palm Trees and Paradise using Operation Sports
NHL23 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Old 01-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

Main reason for me is to have a constant. I hate playing exhibition modes in sports games, as I feel they're the biggest waste of my time. Once an exhibition game is over, that's it. Feels like the game didn't even matter. With Franchise, I can play for an hour or two a day, then come back the next day and build upon what I did the previous day. And unlike a normal "Season Mode," Franchise allows me to keep going for quite some time.

I would really like these modes to be more immersive than they are. I'd probably spend double the time in them. Even still, Franchise will always be my default mode for sports games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »