Home

The Beauty of the Carryover Save Feature

This is a discussion on The Beauty of the Carryover Save Feature within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
The Beauty of the Carryover Save Feature

Ok...I'm sitting here bored at work because our sales software has crashed, so there is nothing to do for the next hour or so while they work to get things back up and running.

And while sitting here I was thinking about my franchise in the Show and started thinking about the standings and playoff contenders and just how "different" my virtual baseball world is from that of its real life counterpart.

I am currently in year 2021 using the carryover save feature. I started this franchise in 2016. (I had one from 2014 when this feature was introduced but it somehow became corrupted and I had to start over) So this marks my 6th season of my baseball universe and its been fun thinking/looking back at some of the things that have happened over the course of those 5 previous years. Where free agents landed, trades that were made, one time doormats (A's, Tigers, Marlins) dominating their respective division, the dynasty of the Dodgers who won 4 straight World Series titles, and everything in between.

I started thinking about my own roster and how I had a vision for what I wanted and for the most part of stayed within it, not straying too far off the path. I've been to the playoffs 5 straight years, but have not gotten to the World Series. In fact, my playoff run has gotten shorter as I went to the NLCS is 2016 and 2017 and have been eliminated prior since then.

I've watched players who have deceased in real life (Yordano Ventura and Jose Fernandez) have pretty stellar careers. I've watched stars retire (A-Rod, Pujols, Ichiro, etc) and get into the Hall of Fame. I've watched draft picks evolve into some of the best players in the game.

I've watched as trades I thought at one time were boneheaded or stupid, pan out over the course of time. I've seen sure fire free agent signings back fire. I've seen teams fill out the roster with journeymen/role players, who were vital in a teams success and playoff run, and even championships.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Carryover Save feature is by far my favorite feature to this series. I hope and pray that it never disappears as I've become so heavily invested in my franchise and team, that I don't want to, and don't think I could, start over.

For those that have utilized this feature over the years, share your stories. Tell us what is happening in your virtual universe.

Thanks for reading the ramblings of a man bored at work, who just wants to go home and play the Show.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: The Beauty of the Carryover Save Feature

I'm in the middle of my first year franchise and plan on carrying over and I'm giddy of finally being able to get into my own universe and not try to mimick real life for every move.

Also not having to wait for rosters to be released will be great. The Hybrid roster has been great! Jumping right into my next year once 19 comes out will be good.

Hoping to finish year 1 within this month and getting through off-season then taking a break until the nee game comes out.

Even at 32-76 with no hopes for playoffs this year. I'm chugging along and finding out whose gonna be on my 2019 roster!
Old 01-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Pro

Countryboy,

If we get a player import feature and non player removed or replace. That would put the icing on the cake and year to year saves would be awesome.

Hopefully they implement a player DNA import feature like NBA 2K19 into a existing Franchise. That would definitely be a wise move!
Old 01-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada855
Countryboy,

If we get a player import feature and non player removed or replace. That would put the icing on the cake and year to year saves would be awesome.

Hopefully they implement a player DNA import feature like NBA 2K19 into a existing Franchise. That would definitely be a wise move!
I've thought of this. I would only use this feature is if the player stats stayed the same in my universe.

Don't want to import an IRL Top 100 prospect that's been in majors for 4 years in my universe to lose all his stats just to get an updated face.

However I would use it to import new guys from OSFM

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 3

My non-corrupted 2014 carryover save is in the off season after the Blue Jays won the 2018 WS over the Dodgers. The Cubs are still looking for a WS victory (having lost last year to the O's after being up 3 games to 1). I didn't carry over 2018 simply because I didn't want to go through the hassle of renaming all the players no longer in the PA (like Ventura and Fernandez). I do try to move FAs onto their current teams but it becomes a challenge. David Wright is still hitting the ball well so has two years on his contract remaining. Add Robinson Cano to the mix and the Mets are in that 'can't afford these contracts mode'. They have arbitration offered to DeGrom and Thor, but may have to lose Wheeler. The Astros continue to be a difficult team to build with their financial constraints. Charlie Morton never materialized; Dallas Keuchel is average. The Red Sox were in the same boat but this year I had them sign JD. Still, Betts, Bradley, Bennintendi (sp?) are not what they are in real life. Retired or out of date MLB players still in my league can make a difference: Jon Niese was 16-4 for the Yanks in 2017 but was pedestrian with the Twins the next year. Prince still rakes in Texas. Then guys like Judge, Sanchez and Torres may be ready to bust out this year. Ellsbury continues to be a force. Jesus Montero got traded at the deadline to Toronto to become their WS MVP, just to be released again this fall.

I try to edit the draft picks (at least top 3 per team) to real draft pick names and images, then will modify their attributes no more than twice during their careers if they begin to break out faster in life than they do in the game.

Downsides are that managers/coaches really don't mean much in the game. I just got slot filled up and didn't really care who was there...tried for A and B managers and Farm Directors, A/B/C pitching/hitting coaches and whomever for the bases.

We'll see in a month or so what 19 may have in store for us and whether I move to the new game (I know, gotta go through 18 then to 19) or stay put.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 3

Oh, one huge thing I forgot is that for this carryover I can veto trades made by CPU GMs during the year; I heard in 18 you can't (?) and that this is something that hasn't been in the game recently but carryovers still allow you to stop stupid trades.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
All Star

It is a great feature and a request of mine before it was implemented. Previously it was bugged. Have they fixed the bugs now? Is it better to carry over the franchise during the off season?

I do plan on carrying over my current franchise but only after they have gameplay working properly. Mlbts 18 is by far the best in terms of gameplay - manage mode and I hesitate to carry over to 19 until and unless 19 gameplay is as good as 18.

The only thing that would cause me to begin a new franchise would be if they import the create-a-team feature from diamond dynasty to franchise.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
It is a great feature and a request of mine before it was implemented. Previously it was bugged. Have they fixed the bugs now? Is it better to carry over the franchise during the off season?
What bugs? I'm not aware of any bugs when carrying over a franchise.

I prefer to carryover my save in the offseason before I advance to the new year.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »