Home

MLB 19: Anybody else feel this is the make/break year?

This is a discussion on MLB 19: Anybody else feel this is the make/break year? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #1
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
MLB 19: Anybody else feel this is the make/break year?

The Show was a pre-order purchase for me from 2008-2016. I loved the game, played it like crazy.

I felt the game started to become stale a tad as 2017 didn't excite me so I didn't pre-order it. After seeing some initial impressions on the forums, I bought it on day-1 and played it a decent amount before it hit the shelf by the time summer came as it just didn't have replay value to me.

Last year, I waited a bit and bought it in the first week but after playing it about 50 hours...I just got too frustrated with hitting and the lack of features in franchise mode.

Fast forward now to 2019. What will they do to make me feel like this is a must buy? This is the first ever that I'm truly not interested in the buying the game unless they make marked improvements with core features and core gameplay. Hitting CONTINUES to be an issue and I just have not had fun hitting - I think the devs see this and its why they are constantly up****** feedback, mechanics, etc...but that's one item. Franchise mode, player models, player attributes, the list goes on where I think it's become stale.

So is it just me? Anyone else feel like 2019 is a make/break year for the Show?
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #2
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: MLB 19: Anybody else feel this is the make/break year?

No, I am with you. 19 The Show is the make it or break it year for me in the fact that I won't be purchasing this year unless they do something dramatic. 16-18 have felt like the same exact game with updated rosters and red finally being correct.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

https://youtube.com/@nhbard?si=kOpLZu8evi-aFsnG
Old 12-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

It's time for them to bring some major changes. I agree. This is still one of the few games I play alot. But it has gotten a bit repetitive.

The commentary and presentation needs a major overhaul. They need to bring it this year. Or I may just stick with 18.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 12:48 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

Agree 100%. Hitting just felt broken last year. Too many times I felt right on a pitch and it went right to a fielder. I felt the game felt even more inorganic this year than ever before. I felt like I was never truly in control of anything and that the game literally dictated exactly what was going to happen. For me, if they don't fix this this year, I can't see myself buying it going forward. Can't continue to buy a game if the entire concept of the game feels decided before you play.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

I don't think it's make or break for me personally, because '18 already broke, lol, in the sense that I didn't buy it at all. I also don't think it's make or break for SDS because rain or shine they seem to move about 1 million units per year. Not growing might become a problem for them I guess, but that's likely offset with an increasing focus on after-market upgrades/microtransactions.

I am looking forward to them having done something, anything for the hard core, franchise-mode type of player that's been playing these types of games for 25+ years. Throw us a friggin' bone here *Michael Myers voice*

We'll find out soon enough. Probably get a 1 minute trailer in the next few weeks, then a stream schedule with some ***** on it to keep us occupied. Then some streams in February/March.

Finally, if they are at all sneaky about removing things (major modes and such) without publicizing it at all before the game comes out, I think I'd quickly make peace with never doing business with that studio again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

I wouldn't say it's "make or break" type of year. My feelings have become more meh over the past few years with "The Show". I only play RttS but it's becoming a little stale to me. Throw in the fact that stats and achievements are still lacking and the obvious switch to monetizing game modes such as DD, it's hard for me to play it consistently. This coming from a guy that has bought every iteration since '08, mainly for RttS. Maybe there will be something in this upcoming game that will make me want to play it. Not sure as of right now.

Last edited by dalger21; 12-18-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

For myself it's not "make or break" this year. After playing '17 sparingly before putting it on the shelf and going back to '16 due to just not enjoying '17 out of the box, I have played and thoroughly enjoyed '18 and am very excited to play '19 and I'm looking forward to what changes/additions/improvements they have made over the next few months.

With that being said, I'm very hopeful that this year franchise mode got some much needed TLC. There are things that are on and have been on my wishlist for franchise mode that I hope are added, and if some aren't, then to say I won't be disappointed would be a lie. Last year there wasn't much added in terms of franchise mode, but the one thing added that I'd hope for, better roster building/management by the CPU, made it in. Hopefully we see a bigger jump this year.

There are also other changes that I'm hoping made it in this year in terms of gameplay, presentation, and roster editing.

So no, '19 isn't a make or break year for me as I'm ready for 3/26. But when the info is released and the streams are completed, if some of the things on my personal wishlist aren't in the game, then my excitement will most definitely be lowered.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 12-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

I plan on passing unless they come out with something significant for franchise mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »