Home

Interceptions

This is a discussion on Interceptions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14
Interceptions

Successful NFL QB's throw with anticipation. They throw their WR's open because the windows for successful completions are so small. But on Madden it is absolutely impossible to do this because of the way the defense reacts to the ball in the air. Why in all the years of Madden this continues to be an issue, I'll next figure out. Madden will always be frustrating when interceptions like this happen so frequently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMUybfqeCgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLr-6aAjSmo
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Interceptions

Those examples weren't really what I was expecting to see when I clicked on this thread (I've seen far worse, such a a defending player running the route ahead of a WR). So that changes how I was going to respond.

But I'll go ahead and ask what I was going to anyway because it's still informative - what difficulty?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Those examples weren't really what I was expecting to see when I clicked on this thread (I've seen far worse, such a a defending player running the route ahead of a WR). So that changes how I was going to respond.

But I'll go ahead and ask what I was going to anyway because it's still informative - what difficulty?

I play on All-Pro. I couldn't begin to imagine playing on All-Madden.

And, yes, I've seen those far worse ones too. But these are bad too.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 12-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
I play on All-Pro. I couldn't begin to imagine playing on All-Madden.

And, yes, I've seen those far worse ones too. But these are bad too.
Yeah, that's what I figured when I watched them - they didn't look like the nonsense you sometimes see on all-madden.

You don't have to agree (and I'm sure you won't) but those look to me like good football players making good football plays. It's very indicative of what I typically see on all-pro. I don't know who the players are (on my phone and no audio) so I can't say how ratings are being applied. The defenders are trailing, but they go into what looks like a smooth catch animation - even the standing still one doesn't warp - and jump the routes. Seemed like maybe the QB could have led the receivers a bit more too (though that ability, again, comes down to ratings and not just stick skills)

Maybe they look more natural to me because I've seen the more extreme examples of All Madden? I dunno.

If someone can identify the players involved it would be a big help. If these are upper-tier defensive players I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I figured when I watched them - they didn't look like the nonsense you sometimes see on all-madden.

You don't have to agree (and I'm sure you won't) but those look to me like good football players making good football plays. It's very indicative of what I typically see on all-pro. I don't know who the players are (on my phone and no audio) so I can't say how ratings are being applied. The defenders are trailing, but they go into what looks like a smooth catch animation - even the standing still one doesn't warp - and jump the routes. Seemed like maybe the QB could have led the receivers a bit more too (though that ability, again, comes down to ratings and not just stick skills)

Maybe they look more natural to me because I've seen the more extreme examples of All Madden? I dunno.

If someone can identify the players involved it would be a big help. If these are upper-tier defensive players I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.

It's Matt Ryan throwing to Julio Jones on both of them.

My issue with them is why does the defense always react to the ball when it's in the air but the receivers never do? They keep running their route or whatever with absolutely no awareness. Why doesn't the receiver show the same awareness as the defender?

Also, I did try to lead them, I had the stick pointing them towards the open area of the field.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Okay, I see what you're asking, and I don't really have an answer to that other than that's the way it was designed. I've seen aggressive catches that try to come back to the ball sometimes which can create the effect you want to see, but it's difficult for those to activate on quick, short passes like these - and it's also difficult to hit Triangle fast enough for a user aggressive catch to take effect).

You could argue that the CPU controlled WR's need to have better awareness of that situation and come back to fight for the ball themselves, but that spirals down the rabbit hole of the devs philosophy of maximum user control and why (IMO) it's bad for sim play, and that is where my involvement in the topic ends.

I was more curious about who the defenders were, though that doesn't matter in the context of your complaint.

Appreciate the civil discourse about the actual game as it currently is. It's too rare these days.
Quote:
It's Matt Ryan throwing to Julio Jones on both of them.

My issue with them is why does the defense always react to the ball when it's in the air but the receivers never do? They keep running their route or whatever with absolutely no awareness. Why doesn't the receiver show the same awareness as the defender?

Also, I did try to lead them, I had the stick pointing them towards the open area of the field.

Last edited by bcruise; 12-11-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Why did the quote show up at the end? I'll never understand tapatalk.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Successful NFL QB's throw with anticipation. They throw their WR's open because the windows for successful completions are so small. But on Madden it is absolutely impossible to do this because of the way the defense reacts to the ball in the air. Why in all the years of Madden this continues to be an issue, I'll next figure out. Madden will always be frustrating when interceptions like this happen so frequently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMUybfqeCgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLr-6aAjSmo
No question, the DB does appear to speed boost somewhat, but it doesn't appear to me that it's over-the-top. Just my opinion.

On the first play you showed, the DB was in tight man coverage and undercut your throw. You needed to lead the receiver away from the defender.

On the second play, and I've had the same thing happen to me after recent updates, you were facing what I believe was a form of Cover 3 Match. Therefore, the corner was squared up, yet carried your receiver inside when you made your throw. The defender was in position to drive on the ball. You're timing was almost perfect, just needed to wait a tick more. Again, you didn't lead your receiver enough. Look at the WR's catch animation. The ball was thrown to him, rather than him being led.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Honestly, and I could be wrong but in both of those videos it looks like you threw a bullet pass in to tight coverage and the DB made a good break on the ball underneath the WR. I may be seeing it that way because of the same reason as bcruise and I usually play on All Madden so I'm used to worse.

In both of these the DB's were using either an underneath or trail technique in coverage and you'll find bullet passes don't often work in these situations. In tight coverage like this try using touch passes by double tapping the button corresponding to the WR you are throwing to. Also play around with the high pointing and low pointing throwing mechanics. I'll admit that I largely ignored those until this years Madden and it has really helped my pass game. You can almost throw a WR open in tight coverage or allow someone like Julio to go up and get the ball using a high pointed touch pass by double clicking the button for the WR while holding L1 on the PS4 or LB on the Xbox one.

Similarly use L2/LT to throw a low pass, these really help in tight coverage that is over the top of the WR. I really starting practicing these different passing mechanics once I joined a 32 man online CFM. You end up going up against guys that can user the MLB or one of the safeties and are able to take away 2 and sometimes 3 routes at a time just by lurking over the middle. The user coverage over the middle is incredibly over-powered once somebody has mastered it and the strategy in the passing game becomes trying to avoid the user defender.

Quote:
You could argue that the CPU controlled WR's need to have better awareness of that situation and come back to fight for the ball themselves, but that spirals down the rabbit hole of the devs philosophy of maximum user control and why (IMO) it's bad for sim play, and that is where my involvement in the topic ends.

I was more curious about who the defenders were, though that doesn't matter in the context of your complaint.

Appreciate the civil discourse about the actual game as it currently is. It's too rare these days.

It definitely is a fine line between for balancing user control and how much the computer does for you. But I do think on the Sim setting they could program the WR to come back on a route and fight for the ball. Maybe just tie it in to the catch in traffic rating? Or a combo or CIT and the spectacular catch rating? Then they could make sure on competitive settings the user would have to activate an aggressive catch to get that animation.

Also agree on the statement about civil discourse, it needs to happen more often. We already are each dealing with our own frustrations with this game then when you come to this forum and have to argue with someone it gets exhausting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »