Home

Is this game a viable alternative to 2k19?

This is a discussion on Is this game a viable alternative to 2k19? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Is this game a viable alternative to 2k19?

I haven't owned a basketball game since 2k14, but while I enjoyed that I ended up selling it later on due to bad servers and micro-transactions. Ended up playing 2k11 game for nostalgia and now suddenly I'm in the mood for a modern NBA game.

However, 2k19 has only become worse with its microtransactions from what I read. I don't want to support 2k's greed, but apparently it's still the best NBA game out there gameplay wise? I read about Live 19 and how it's improving and enjoyed the demo. Seems the EA devs are working harder with patches than 2k? However, I read issues that the latest patch brought in such as too many blocks and intercepted passes.

I should note that I don't care about my player or online modes and don't care for a deep franchise mode either, the basic season mode from the old days do it for me. I'm more of a casual player especially with SoulCalibur VI and Red Dead 2 coming up. Still, I read that Live doesn't have Legend teams or MJ even?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 4
Re: Is this game a viable alternative to 2k19?

Ill probably get killed for this on this forum with the new age but I think overall when it comes to basketball. Live is slighty better. Yes its ugly at times but the other game is worse(spent every day since release of 2k trying to fix sliders/roster). Im talking as of today with all the updates.

Pros and cons to both. I honestly cant say that one does better than the other atleast on the court. Features and modes 2k wins hands down. If they work or not is another question.

Live is fighting an uphill battle. They dont have the street/gaming cred to be taken serious yet. Any old school folks that can see past the smoke of fanyboy, probably appreciate this game a touch more.

At the end of the day, both games will piss you off. Both give you a ton of wtf moments but 2k(in its current form) will make you throw the controller through the window.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

Yea I was all about 2k up until having a bit of fun with Live 18 last year. Bought both Live and 2k this year for the first time and seriously can’t bring myself to go back to 2k anymore. I’m predominantly an offline player who enjoys the art side of a game for immersion and Live just has them completely beat in that department imo.
The gameplay of Live I feel is based more in reality with dribbling and getting your own shot and when I do play online, live events and court battles are fun and in most cases reward you with real world accessories etc
I feel they still have work to do in terms of fleshing our modes and adding in the little animations 2k have done over the years but yea I think I’m more than likely not buying 2k again cause it’s clear their money hungry ways aren’t going to change anytime soon
Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Cloud
I haven't owned a basketball game since 2k14, but while I enjoyed that I ended up selling it later on due to bad servers and micro-transactions. Ended up playing 2k11 game for nostalgia and now suddenly I'm in the mood for a modern NBA game.

However, 2k19 has only become worse with its microtransactions from what I read. I don't want to support 2k's greed, but apparently it's still the best NBA game out there gameplay wise? I read about Live 19 and how it's improving and enjoyed the demo. Seems the EA devs are working harder with patches than 2k? However, I read issues that the latest patch brought in such as too many blocks and intercepted passes.

I should note that I don't care about my player or online modes and don't care for a deep franchise mode either, the basic season mode from the old days do it for me. I'm more of a casual player especially with SoulCalibur VI and Red Dead 2 coming up. Still, I read that Live doesn't have Legend teams or MJ even?
You don't have to deal with microtransactions. Just play the actual game. I'm not into all of the leveling up avatars and stuff. I just play the franchise and keep it moving. But back to your question...I would only buy LIVE 19 if it's on sale. It IS NOT worth $60 but it is worth $30<.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

I'm not getting 2k cuz that ship has sailed for now, but I worry about the direction of live. I can't recommend it until the next patch and see where they go with it. People talk about fun but to me it's just live rewarded more intuitive high iq play but then they patched it.

And it's probably not that much different than what you'd get from 2k other than less grind. Like I got 3 90s after accidentally deleting an almost 90. I am almost icon in career, like 18 court, 14 live run hype. I've played a lot but didn't grind at all.

I miss being able to drive and feel like a strong nba player or post.

Dunks and 3s are no fun. This isn't Sim. It was more Sim before w its flaws. If their vision is jumpers are sim then it's basically gonna be the same as 2k except wonkier with no franchise depth.

You have no idea how good it feels to drive thru someone and bump them out of the way and lay it in, you can still do it but not as much. Or bump them then pull up for a baby hook or lay in. That's the sim feel of str I enjoyed. It sucked to be stumbling all over myself guarding wings but i did my best. On the other end I housed them.

Again Power moves that don't end in dunks or have to trigger a hop step, pump fake, spin, drop step whatever. Get the ball, feel them out and know that they gotta be ready to contest your hook so they are on edge.

Or like on the break, it's like lol backcourt shooter, I'm goin thru you. That was what I thought was the foundation of nba live. But I guess it's not.

The player v player physics were better and that alone made it viable as an alternative, we shall see if it comes back around. It annoys me so much that people think paint scoring isn't sim. Paint scoring has been the foundation of bball since its inception. Even Bron ball is predicated on paint scoring.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
Pro

zrohman's Arena

I heard Live 19 is on sale by the way. Just a heads up
Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

In short, yes it is a viable alternative. To answer your question, Legend players are only available in Live Ultimate Team or as online run teammates. I'd also check out r/NBAlive to get a good idea of where the game is gameplay wise. They are straight up Live players, not so much 2k scorn and arent shy about digging into the real issues. Theres also a sale going on now, but if you wait until the end of the month, they have historically dropped it down to $10-$15. Great value for that price.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Seems the only real issues right now are too many blocks and intercepted passes? Ironic because I checked the 2k subreddit and apparently the issue in that game after the new patch is that the A.I. is getting away with too many passes inside.

Are you able to create custom teams with the legends? I think I'll pick up Live in the near future given how it's on sale more often and how the devs seem to be working hard on getting it right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »