Home

Breakaway Speed

This is a discussion on Breakaway Speed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8
Breakaway Speed

Seems like everyone can keep up with anyone on the fast break. There is no separation on fast breaks, almost like a force field in front of you.

Or you do the stupid jump turn around to catch the ball when it's passed to you on a break.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Rookie

Makeufamous NDZ's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Breakaway Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls
Seems like everyone can keep up with anyone on the fast break. There is no separation on fast breaks, almost like a force field in front of you.

Or you do the stupid jump turn around to catch the ball when it's passed to you on a break.

Yup Exactly!!!.. In my opinion one of the biggest problems with this game is that the players individual ratings seems not to matter at all... What 2K has done essentially is make every player play the same. The CPU plays lock down defense now... every player and every team!!! Which is highly unrealistic. The CPU won't allow you drive on them, PERIOD!!!... no matter if you have an open lane to the rack, or if you are a faster more agile player... The CPU will block your path no matter the situation.

And yes as you stated on fast breaks they will run with you stride for stride all the way... It's like the CPU is magnetized to you defensively this year. It will make wanna throw the controller against the wall...

NBA 2K20 • MADDEN 20 • GOLF CLUB 2 • UFC 3 • FIFA 20 • FORZA • FIGHT NIGHT CHAMPIONS
Old 10-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

I had just started a thread about this in the slider section. I had what should've been a clear path to the hoop. No one around me. Then two players sped up and were right behind me & were literally on my heels. The slowed me down & all I could get was a weak layup attempt.

Fastbreaks definitely need a tweak.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Was just. going to make a thread about this

https://youtu.be/3TdfqwUyt2s

That is way too slow for the fastest players in the league
Old 10-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

I understand what you guys are saying. While I was looking for videos for a completely unrelated topic, I stumbled onto the following video (below). It was interesting to see how the ball handler slows himself down when he should have had a clear path to the hoop (#60, #58, #57).

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that there isn't a potential problem with 2k, but just wanted to point out that chase downs/ability for the defender to keep in general does/can happen. With faster 2k players, I do notice that break away speed does work like it should.

Yes, these are 'highlights' and this doesn't usually happen on fastbreaks, I completely understand that. It's just something to chew on, think about, when we want something fixed. If I have the time, I would run more test.

But yes, defenders able to keep up could be certainly a potential problem.

What could be a problem is if you are in fact using turbo and pushing the stick to maximum and 2k still slows you down, that could be a problem.

#60, #58, #57

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 10-14-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
Rookie

Makeufamous NDZ's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I understand what you guys are saying. While I was looking for videos for a completely unrelated topic, I stumbled onto the following video (below). It was interesting to see how the ball handler slows himself down when he should have had a clear path to the hoop (#60, #58, #57).

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that there isn't a potential problem with 2k, but just wanted to point out that chase downs/ability for the defender to keep in general does/can happen. With faster 2k players, I do notice that break away speed does work like it should.

Yes, these are 'highlights' and this doesn't usually happen on fastbreaks, I completely understand that. It's just something to chew on, think about, when we want something fixed. If I have the time, I would run more test.

But yes, defenders able to keep up could be certainly a potential problem.

What could be a problem is if you are in fact using turbo and pushing the stick to maximum and 2k still slows you down, that could be a problem.

#60, #58, #57

I understand what you're saying, and yes you're right, there are situations where a player can chase down the ball handler or keep up with him... but that still should be determined by their individual ratings.. namely "speed, acceleration, lateral quickness...etc". But thats not what's happening in 2K19... the CPU is programmed to keep up with the USER. The defense just seems overly aggressive in general.

To me it's not just the fast breaks, it's the overall defense in this game. It seems that 2K is basically overriding the players own ratings and making them keep up with the USER... And this is true when it comes to one on one situations as well. Just saying if I am... let's say LeBron and I am trying to drive to the basket against a much smaller, weaker defender like... let's say Steph Curry, the odds should heavily sway in LeBron's favor. But that is not how it plays out on screen... Curry will all of a sudden become 1st Team All-Defense because when we meet I will be greeted with an invisible wall that will prevent my size, speed and quickness from becoming relevant.

And that is 100% 2K causing that effect... as ratings are taken out of the equation at that point. And that is the same result for every player and every team in this game. It doesn't seem to matter whether you're playing against the Magic or the Celtics, the defense is always the same when playing the CPU... And I'm sorry but, I don't see much realism in that!!!

That's a serious problem to me!!!

NBA 2K20 • MADDEN 20 • GOLF CLUB 2 • UFC 3 • FIFA 20 • FORZA • FIGHT NIGHT CHAMPIONS
Old 10-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
MVP

I don't mind if certain guys who are fast catch me. It's wrong though when they crowd me and slow me down. I wonder if there's a slider setting to change?
Old 10-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #8
Rookie

Speed threshold is too low. Min of 30, max of 70. Spread across on/off ball on offense or defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »