Home

Instead of nerfing defense, why not adjust the number of fouls?

This is a discussion on Instead of nerfing defense, why not adjust the number of fouls? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Instead of nerfing defense, why not adjust the number of fouls?

I had the thought earlier this morning and Yeah...ThatGuy mentioned the same suggestion to me a little bit ago. If two of us are thinking this, I'm sure there are others who probably share the same mindset.

I love defense this year, but I can understand how many could be frustrated with it. I don't think the problem is necessarily the defense itself, but the lack of risk involving spamming steal. Maybe instead of asking for a nerf to defense, we could simply increase the risk involved?

In the Park, I've been told that you need 5 fouls to get booted from the game. In a game to 21 points, that's entirely too many. You can swipe away at your leisure knowing that you're going to see the end of the game.

In Pro-Am you're given 6 fouls to work with. Again, that's too much. Especially when you consider that they rack that up over 48 minutes in a real NBA game. I think a reduction in fouls would change a lot about how defense is played online without changing the solid mechanics already in place.

I'd personally recommend 5 fouls for Pro-Am and 3 fouls for Park.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 09-10-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Instead of nerfing defense, why not adjust the number of fouls?

That's as band aid of a fix I've ever heard. The mechanics are enabling non defenders to intercept and steal the ball. Y'all tried to laugh me off the board when i predicted this outcome before this game was even released. This should only be available to two way players with any real consistency. Lokcdowns should be able to Deion Sanders the ball with consistency. I just don't know how theres 10 threads on this exact issue and y'all still think the game is fine.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

I think I've made my point across the other defense-related threads today haha, but yeah, I'll reiterate my support of this kind of idea here too.

I'd go for 4 fouls in the Pro-Am/PNO/JRC games personally, but I can understand if that's viewed as too drastic of a change.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 09-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Personally, I thought this for years, and I would love to see this change even for Play Now Online.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 09-10-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

I think the steals need a small nerf. This morning my 9 year old was able to steal the ball from me way too many times just pressing the button even when i was protecting the ball.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Been saying this all along. We probably can't see missed steal animations like the one below until next year but penalizing instances where players aren't successful is NECESSARY. Its why the spam exists, 2K has a nasty habit of providing way too many neutral outcomes.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Well we played a team today that had their lockdown run around double teaming the ball while the on ball defender was spamming steal they had 13 fouls in a park game and 6 steals...the most frustrating game I've ever played...

Funny thing is one game I was off the ball defense and a pass came but I didn't even press a button and my dude stole the ball. I actually was looking at my phone.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
Banned

So far i played a total of 6 walk on pro am games and every single one of them atleast 1 person got fouled out. Some guy even had 5 fouls in the beginning of the 3rd quarter. There was even 1 game i played where the other team had 16 team fouls. 16!!!! Fouls in a 5 min quarter GAME!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »