Home

Scheme doesn’t change displayed overall

This is a discussion on Scheme doesn’t change displayed overall within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Scheme doesn’t change displayed overall

Sorry this ended up a bit of a ramble.

tl;dr Displayed OVR ratings don’t seem to change based on selected scheme archetype (like they did in previous maddens)

Am I missing something or is this not an odd step back - given the renewed focus in schemes in M19?

Rambling detail:

So in the last few Maddens prior to M19 player’s overall ratings were evaluated based on your scheme (or preferred player types). The was true across your depth chart, free agency, etc.

So this meant that dependant on your chosen player type at a given position you would see a different Ovr that would change if you changed your preferred player type (i.e. Taylor Gabriel might have been an 80ovr with Deep threat player type set but only a 75ovr when you set your preference as Red Zone Threat).

This led to each player (and even the CPU) having different Ovr ratings against different players leading to more variety in who would be signed, etc. The game also assessed your depth chart and team Ovr based on these preferences - so you essentially got a view of how well your players suited your preferred team set up.

With M19 formalising schemes I had assumed this would be even more relevant (the main difference being player types aren’t free selection now but are based on scheme). However no matter what scheme you choose the game shows all players with the same displayed overall based on their best archetype. Of course you can see their other archetypes OVR on their player card - but it seems like a massive step back.

Now we can’t tell at a glance how well suited any given player is to a position - for example Matt Ryan will show on my depth chart as an 89 OVR no matter if I have a scheme that looks for a Field General(89ovr) or a Scrambler(83ovr).

So without going into each player and checking their rating for my chosen scheme/archetype at that position I can’t tell who is actually the “best” player at a position (from the perspective of my chosen scheme). I know some of this is offset by the scheme fit marker - but that only helps when a player is specifically at their best in my chosen scheme.

I’d hazard a guess that this might be the cause of some of the other scheme related issues (CPU not drafting/signing based on scheme). Because the only rating that the CPU “sees” when making those decisions is the players best OVR and not their scheme specific one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Scheme doesn’t change displayed overall

I need to check this as well, but I've noticed a different overall from the midweek menu compared to the in game depth chart. This was for a RLE though, I haven't checked the rest.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
MVP

Re: Scheme doesn’t change displayed overall

The players overall is always the highest number he gets as any archtype. Yes, it seems bizarre that they would do this while touting archetyes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »