Home

Free Agency is Total Cheese

This is a discussion on Free Agency is Total Cheese within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

OVR: 0
Free Agency is Total Cheese

I entered into Free Agency in the 2nd season with Marlins. I need a 2B. Anthony Rendon and Jonathan Schoop are available.

I offer Schoop 4 years 55.15m

Sim 3 days, checking each day to see if a bid pops up, checked the 3rd day, still no bid, sim one more, day and BAM Schoop accepts a 5 year deal with the Orioles. WHAT??? What the hell?

Okay no biggie, Schoop had a bad season last year. Let's get Rendon.

4 years 54m.

3 days again, checking each day, still nothing on the 3rd day. oop, 4th day, Nats are outbidding me by 2m. No biggie, up him to 58m and add a player option.

Sim one more day

BAM. 5 years 70m with the Rangers.

I gave up at that point. That is just bs. I mean, I thought Madden's free agency was bad because no decent players hardly ever entered into FA, but this is just bad. There are plenty of decent players but the way you bid for them gives you no chance to enter into a bidding war.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Rookie

MightyMaxxx13's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Free Agency is Total Cheese

Rough but not unrealistic. Do you want a system where the highest bid automatically wins?
Old 07-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMaxxx13
Rough but not unrealistic. Do you want a system where the highest bid automatically wins?
I'd rather them have a system where there are actual negotiations and bidding wars.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMaxxx13

It would help if there was some rhyme or reason to it - did they gave a better option, more years but less total value (the years won the day), better prospect for starting/impact or better promised role, etc.

It just seems very random.

Plus, players rarely wait or ask for a counter. Like in OOTP, if my offer isn't favored any more or wasn't good enough, more often than not, the player will tell me and I at least have the chance to try to match/beat the offer before he decides. Of course, there's the chance I just aggravate him too much or otherwise cause talks to break off.

In The Show - often times the player will run off to one of the other teams without even countering or trying to start a bidding war, especially a top talent that's likely in high demand. I could see an average/fringe guy doing it or if the player just gets blown away by an offer that's like way more than they expected - jump on that before it's withdrawn.

It's also hard to figure out why you lost. What did the player prefer?
Old 07-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
Banned

TheGr8Drake28's Arena

Seems like you got out classed by the CPU. Dayum.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
It would help if there was some rhyme or reason to it - did they gave a better option, more years but less total value (the years won the day), better prospect for starting/impact or better promised role, etc.

It just seems very random.

Plus, players rarely wait or ask for a counter. Like in OOTP, if my offer isn't favored any more or wasn't good enough, more often than not, the player will tell me and I at least have the chance to try to match/beat the offer before he decides. Of course, there's the chance I just aggravate him too much or otherwise cause talks to break off.

In The Show - often times the player will run off to one of the other teams without even countering or trying to start a bidding war, especially a top talent that's likely in high demand. I could see an average/fringe guy doing it or if the player just gets blown away by an offer that's like way more than they expected - jump on that before it's withdrawn.

It's also hard to figure out why you lost. What did the player prefer?
My sentiments exactly.

They don't negotiate or even let teams counter-offer sometimes. It just seems really cheesy. I mean, they don't even wait a single day or hour? Come on man.

If they're going to do it this way, there should be notifications when a player is expected to sign with another team soon so you have a chance at a last second offer to reopen negotiations.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
My sentiments exactly.

They don't negotiate or even let teams counter-offer sometimes. It just seems really cheesy. I mean, they don't even wait a single day or hour? Come on man.

If they're going to do it this way, there should be notifications when a player is expected to sign with another team soon so you have a chance at a last second offer to reopen negotiations.

You mentioned the FA system in Madden, I haven't played Madden since 16 so I don't know if it's the same way or not, but I believe that is a good system as far as letting you know where you stand in trying to sign guys. In The Show it's a total guessing game if you're gonna land a guy or not.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 07-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
You mentioned the FA system in Madden, I haven't played Madden since 16 so I don't know if it's the same way or not, but I believe that is a good system as far as letting you know where you stand in trying to sign guys. In The Show it's a total guessing game if you're gonna land a guy or not.
With Madden the system is good aside from the fact that most players just go to the highest bidder but coaching and schemes play a role too. The issue with Madden is that re-signing players happens way too often and most of the time your top free agency players will be guys near retirement or scrubs. Never any good players.

With The Show, it's just
BAM he signs
BAM he signs there
BAM he signed with these guys over you

There's just no negotiating at all.

Schoop batted .213 with a .668 OPS the previous season. I'm not paying 16m a year for that. That's why I started him off with a small offer, to see if anyone else was gonna bid for him. But there is no bidding process if a team, in one day, can offer a contract and have him immediately sign. It's just a really flawed system.

Even in my Phillies franchise where I had a Pre-Offseason save so I screwed around and offered Bryce Harper 28m a year, it even took him 3 days to sign after the offer was placed and no other bidders offered.

It's such a lousy system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »