Home

Can someone explain the game settings, I'm new to MLB The Show 18

This is a discussion on Can someone explain the game settings, I'm new to MLB The Show 18 within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-23-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Can someone explain the game settings, I'm new to MLB The Show 18

I've not played any of the MLB games and I just bought a PS4 and some sports games, one being MLB The Show 18.

When I go into game settings and set the hitting and pitching how I want it sometimes when I go into a game mode the settings are different and I have to go in and set them again, this has happened a few times and now when I go in some settings have locks and I can't set them.

Are the game settings once set for all modes of games?

why are some locked?

Excuse me I am new to PS4 ( Video gaming in general ) and MLB The Show 18. I have sent hours watching all the top tutorials but they never seem to start at the beginning, so it makes it a bit difficult to learn. I appreciate the help in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Re: Can someone explain the game settings, I'm new to MLB The Show 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_a_g_l_e_p_i
I've not played any of the MLB games and I just bought a PS4 and some sports games, one being MLB The Show 18.

When I go into game settings and set the hitting and pitching how I want it sometimes when I go into a game mode the settings are different and I have to go in and set them again, this has happened a few times and now when I go in some settings have locks and I can't set them.

Are the game settings once set for all modes of games?

why are some locked?

Excuse me I am new to PS4 ( Video gaming in general ) and MLB The Show 18. I have sent hours watching all the top tutorials but they never seem to start at the beginning, so it makes it a bit difficult to learn. I appreciate the help in advance.
I haven't played online much so i am not sure about that, but as far as offline goes...

If you adjust sliders inside of game, it will not automatically save those sliders. To save them:

From the main menu, (outside of any game mode) go to Sliders. Adjust them accordingly, and then Save and Name them.

Now those sliders are ready to go to play Play Now games. Or any mode you want to load them into.

To use those sliders in Franchise Mode, start your Franchise. From inside Franchise, (not inside a game) go to Sliders. Then choose Load Sliders. Then choose the Sliders you previously saved. Now those sliders are ready to use in Franchise. Now - Save your Franchise. This will keep those sliders loaded for any game you play within that Franchise.

If you adjust sliders from inside say, a Franchise game, when you finish the game, go to Data Utility and save your sliders and it will keep them. If you dont save them they will go back to the previously saved set.

(For Play Now games, you may have to Load that Slider set before you play each time. I am not 100% certain because i spend 99% of my time in Franchise. )

I am not in front of the game right now, otherwise i would have given more accurate steps, but this should get you going.

If you have any more questions dont hesitate. You just purchased an awesome baseball game!

Last edited by NolanRyansSnowmonkey; 07-23-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Just started!

Is there anyplace one can find a manual with some instructions for setting things up in show 16. I cannot even figure out how to start an exhibition game against the cpu which I trust exists.
What I am talking about is some advice as to how to get into all the things you can adjust and use to play the game.
Any help I could get to make what seems like a great game easier for me to enjoy would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 09-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rensor
Is there anyplace one can find a manual with some instructions for setting things up in show 16. I cannot even figure out how to start an exhibition game against the cpu which I trust exists.
What I am talking about is some advice as to how to get into all the things you can adjust and use to play the game.
Any help I could get to make what seems like a great game easier for me to enjoy would be appreciated.
Thanks
To play a game vs the CPU (like, where you select both teams participating), go to Play Now on the main menu and select "Play with Current rosters". I wouldn't suggest the daily rosters thing because it often has issues with in-game lineup management, plus you can only choose from the games played in the real MLB for a particular day.

As for the settings...that's something you'll be better off working out for yourself because there's lots of different ways to play the game. Try going to mini modes from the main menu and selecting "Options Explorer". Take the time to go through the options for hitting, running, pitching and fielding and choose the ones you like best. Once you've found what you like, you can save those options to your profile right from inside the mode.

There are a lot more options that can be changed besides the ones in Options Explorer, but it can be a very good place to start.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Just started!

Hi, thanks for coming in.

I wasn't sure where to put this question and ... this is where i landed. So apologies if in the wrong place. This is probably really simplified but maybe it will be good enough so I can understand ...

Can somebody tell me as I assume the play is based on like a better hitting players gets a slightly wider window for hitting the ball than say a pitcher would, .. but then what determines whether the ball goes deep or it becomes a pop up etc? does the game do a random number gen thing and figures well that player bats 300 so every 3 out of 10 bats where he has good timing the result will be a hit ... or will my ability alone ... be enough to ensure a hit?

Get what I am asking? I'm just curious because at times it feels like no matter what I do at the plate ... I'm not gonna have a happy result. That said, there are times when I get a hit with a pitcher and I like to think it was because I was really good at batting lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
Rookie

LogicalRon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewoodguy
Hi, thanks for coming in.

I wasn't sure where to put this question and ... this is where i landed. So apologies if in the wrong place. This is probably really simplified but maybe it will be good enough so I can understand ...

Can somebody tell me as I assume the play is based on like a better hitting players gets a slightly wider window for hitting the ball than say a pitcher would, .. but then what determines whether the ball goes deep or it becomes a pop up etc? does the game do a random number gen thing and figures well that player bats 300 so every 3 out of 10 bats where he has good timing the result will be a hit ... or will my ability alone ... be enough to ensure a hit?

Get what I am asking? I'm just curious because at times it feels like no matter what I do at the plate ... I'm not gonna have a happy result. That said, there are times when I get a hit with a pitcher and I like to think it was because I was really good at batting lol.
A lot of it depends on what level you're playing on, beginner, All-Star etc. it also Depends on your sliders and how their set. As you're going up to the minors each time You get a chance to work on you hitting on your fielding are your strength I always try to balance it out. As long as I'm swinging the bat it hitting our work on improving my strength that's what helps it the long ball.

If you don't feel that you're doing very good hitting I would check to see what setting your On and lower it may be a just some your sliders.

It also depends on what area of the game you're playing are you playing Road to the show?Or dynasty?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
Just started!

I'm playing the franchise. If I recall correct there was 2 choices for beginner and I went with the second beginner. I tried to find it but can't at the moment. I did find that I am using beginner for pitching and rookie for hitting.

Not complaining about my hitting just curious because as I mentioned it doesn't feel like my ability influences the hitting in some innings and other innings I will get a home run but feel like it was not due any different outcome than a pop up I hit the minute before ... actually its the other way around. I feel like i hit a home run and get a pop up. lol. it goes both ways.

thanks again for the knowledge.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
Rookie

MiamiWarrior's Arena

OVR: 2

No matter what I do, if I go to data utility and press load data and load the sliders or go into user settings and try to load the sliders, they do not do anything. No matter how many times, the sliders never save. It's making me lose my mind.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »