Home

Would there be any interest in this absolutely huge project...

This is a discussion on Would there be any interest in this absolutely huge project... within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
MVP

marcuscouch10's Arena

OVR: 0
Would there be any interest in this absolutely huge project...

Okay, so let's get right into this! I'm interested in creating a huge project, now when I say huge, I mean gigantic. Possibly one of the biggest projects ever done for a game like this, as far as rosters or customization is concerned. Basically, let's break this project down.

I will be creating an excel spreadsheet with pretty much everything about a certain player included. Everything you need to create a certain players attributes and skillset, as well as everything you need to incorporate a more realistic feel into your roster. These will include things like tendencies, attributes, and badges. All sortable and categorized by anything you'd like: first name, last night, player tier, skills, tendencies, height, weight, player type, etc. Basically, everything will be covered. These elected ratings, attributes, badges won't be basic either. All player-specific data will correspond with other player-specific data to ensure accuracy in-game play styles, as well as simulation stats. Using the aforementioned guide would and could really give your game a nice feeling in terms of realism. You could run simulations accurately, play the game with realism playing its course, or just create a player from history with a complex guide at your fingertips.

Now, the problem is, this project is massive, meaning I can't release it for free. In fact, I have very little of the project completed. I stopped doing work on it when I realized how time-consuming this project really is. I'm not entirely sure if this kind of thing is allowed on Operation Sports, if not, feel free to take this down. And I'll apologize for creating this topic. I remembered seeing the old modding program for the past games and remembered them charging, so I don't see this being any different. Regardless, I am a busy guy, and to complete this project I would need at least ten to fifteen people giving me notice ahead of time that they would be interested. At the moment the desired pricepoint would be somewhere between $10-$20, which is a fair price seeing as what you would be getting. Speaking of, here is a more detailed breakdown of everything.

Release: Potentially October 2018 to January 2019.
Price: $10-$20 depending on what all I decide to include.
Features: a detailed guide of most players in history, with at least the current roster, finished when the product is released, more will be updated from that point, with dozens and dozens of players being added in every few days to every week. Each player will include first name, last name, position, secondary position, college/from, years pro, handiness, correct peak years, deciding factors, a non-starter, height, weight, player type, attributes, tendencies, hot zones, contract, and badges. Signature shots are not included as they are changed often with most animations being renamed. This project will update frequently and will work for the following years to come. At the time of the release, current players will definitely be included, then as updates come, all-time and legendary teams will be added, after that random players will be added as well, these players include suggestions from you, or just random fun ideas I felt like doing, such as rookie years for a lot of players.

I will update this thread as time goes on, and if I can get meet my quota of ten to fifteen notices, I will start an official thread and begin work on this project. The first five people to give me a notice will get the project at a small discount, not known as of now. Likely falling in the 10-15% off range.

Notices will go here...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Would there be any interest in this absolutely huge project...

So you are doing a fully edited roster for 2k19 and inputting information into a spreadsheet?

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 07-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
MVP

Daonlyjmo7's Arena

Still don’t get exactly what this is...

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
MVP

marcuscouch10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
So you are doing a fully edited roster for 2k19 and inputting information into a spreadsheet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daonlyjmo7
Still don’t get exactly what this is...
Okay, so sorry for not explaining it well. It will be uploaded in part as a roster, but only with the current roster, all-time teams, and in-game classic teams fixed according to the spreadsheet. On the spreadsheet, more will be added. I'm sure you're all familiar with the old Ultimate roster on the computer, it's kind of like that, except on a spreadsheet. If you'd like, you could compare LeBron every year since he came into the league, you could compare something random, like Joe Fulks' attributes from the '49 season with Russell Westbrook's attributes from the '14 season. Just random things. Basically, the goal is to fit as many players as I can, into one spreadsheet with the goal being over a thousand different players from different seasons. It's not limited to an uploaded roster. I hope this helps, it's kind of a complex concept.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:47 AM   #5
Just started!

It kind of sounds like sonicmage's sportscrunch project. A spreadsheet with all players info/ratings from every year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2018, 03:14 AM   #6
MVP

marcuscouch10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRock15
It kind of sounds like sonicmage's sportscrunch project. A spreadsheet with all players info/ratings from every year.
It practically is, just sorta laid out better, and easier, as well as more complete. As well with coaches and offering more than he was.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuscouch10
It practically is, just sorta laid out better, and easier, as well as more complete. As well with coaches and offering more than he was.
I think you are grossly underestimating the scope of the project you are undertaking. It took me eight years, in free time mind you, to really get the quality bar where it's at for my own project, and I'm a senior level engineer. What you guys see is just the end result spreadsheet, but not the whole database that powers the system, or the 10,000 lines of script code that efficiently aggregates all the data, or the hundreds of hours spend writing special edge case code because NBA dot com or basketball-reference dot com or Synergy have inconsistencies or holes in their data.

Plus, you have to take into account unexpected costs, like, for instance, I pay 30 dollars *per month* for stats from Synergy.

Not trying to discourage you, just giving you a friendly forewarning that the estimates you're giving here are highly, highly ambitious.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 07-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Honestly, you might even be better off joining an already established group with similar lofty goals and a strong foundation.

Right now, we're about six members strong getting ready for September and always looking for new people to bring into the fold. If that interests you at all, drop me a line and I'll introduce you to the team. If not, good luck with your project.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »