Home

Why is every bunt a rocket this year?

This is a discussion on Why is every bunt a rocket this year? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

OVR: 3
Why is every bunt a rocket this year?

No matter if its me or the CPU, anytime there is a bunt attempt it is always hit hard. Its basically an easy double play if you have a runner on first and attempt to bunt. I almost feel like im cheating when the CPU bunts because its literally always a double play. But then when I try to bunt they usually turn two also so I guess it evens out. Are you guys having this issue also?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Rookie

MightyMaxxx13's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Why is every bunt a rocket this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj622
No matter if its me or the CPU, anytime there is a bunt attempt it is always hit hard. Its basically an easy double play if you have a runner on first and attempt to bunt. I almost feel like im cheating when the CPU bunts because its literally always a double play. But then when I try to bunt they usually turn two also so I guess it evens out. Are you guys having this issue also?
Yes. I think SDS nerfed bunting to put a stop to online players who spam bunts with speedsters for guaranteed hits. It definitely hurts offline play, like you said I turn CPU bunts into double plays 99% of the time.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj622
This is a bit of a contentious issue here, so I'm just going to get my piece in before others get here and then probably go quiet...

Are you holding down the bunt control (Triangle) before the pitcher releases the ball? That's what you need to do to execute a sacrifice - it's not the same as a drag bunt where the button is pressed after the ball has been delivered.

If you are holding it down before the pitch release, try to delay the press a little longer - so that the 1B moves sideways off of 1st after holding the runner on, when the pitcher starts his motion. You might need to use Fisheye or a similar camera to see this movement. Getting the 1B to not charge the bunt immediately is a big key to successfully sacrificing.

Generally I don't have any trouble sacrificing when I want to (unless I pop up a bunt or push them foul) because the CPU is extremely hesitant to throw to 2nd on a bunt down the line, much more so than a human player would be. It's true, the bunts do come out too hard - but the CPU won't throw to 2nd on me unless it's going to throw the runner out by 10 feet. As such, I do the same - basically a "House Rule" thing.

Drag bunts are a different story entirely - they aren't successful enough, even with players who have the bunt master quirk. I'd say it needs to be patched, but this is a legacy thing and SDS has shown no signs of changing the way this works, probably out of concern that it would be too easy to execute online.

Last edited by bcruise; 07-05-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Bcruise did a great job of explaining it. I don't have an issue with "rocket bunts"

I've had several (only took video of the one) similar to the one in the video below, although they weren't popped up they were bunted with same power but to the ground.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Are you holding down the bunt control (Triangle) before the pitcher releases the ball? That's what you need to do to execute a sacrifice - it's not the same as a drag bunt where the button is pressed after the ball has been delivered.
I do this but I still had issues (maybe because I'm on Directional?).

But if I let go of the triangle button just before contact, I get much better results both this year and in MLB17.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it (it shouldn't...) but...I can't ignore what I've seen since I started doing that consistently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

2012 set the record for fewest bunts per game
the downward spiral continued with new record lows set in 2013, then again in 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 is also on pace for a new low. I wonder if this is SanDiego's way of getting people to stop bunting, though I do realise the cheesing problem with online bunting.

Do you guys have rocket bunts with the elite bunters like dee gordon, cesar hernandez, dj lemahieu, starling marte, jean segura, asdrubal cabrera, billy hamilton, brett gardner, leonys martin, jarrd dyson, tim anderson, alcides escobar, erick aybar, denard span, danny espinosa, craig gentry, steve lombardozzi,

or pitchers like max scherzer, johnny cueto, jon lester, jimmy nelson, julio teheran, zach davies, dan straily, andrew cashner or junior guerra?

if there is no problem bunting with guys like these then maybe its time to consider turning players you need to bunt with into 90+ bunters. its a lost & dying art & you cant just let anybody do it. you're literally giving outs away & maybe it's best to let your hitters swing away & leave the bunting to pitchers?

A Work in Progress
Old 07-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
2012 set the record for fewest bunts per game
the downward spiral continued with new record lows set in 2013, then again in 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 is also on pace for a new low. I wonder if this is SanDiego's way of getting people to stop bunting, though I do realise the cheesing problem with online bunting.

Do you guys have rocket bunts with the elite bunters like dee gordon, cesar hernandez, dj lemahieu, starling marte, jean segura, asdrubal cabrera, billy hamilton, brett gardner, leonys martin, jarrd dyson, tim anderson, alcides escobar, erick aybar, denard span, danny espinosa, craig gentry, steve lombardozzi,

or pitchers like max scherzer, johnny cueto, jon lester, jimmy nelson, julio teheran, zach davies, dan straily, andrew cashner or junior guerra?

if there is no problem bunting with guys like these then maybe its time to consider turning players you need to bunt with into 90+ bunters. its a lost & dying art & you cant just let anybody do it. you're literally giving outs away & maybe it's best to let your hitters swing away & leave the bunting to pitchers?
I am just impressed you have a list of elite bunters readily on hand at seemingly a moment's notice.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
I am just impressed you have a list of elite bunters readily on hand at seemingly a moment's notice.
He's been working on that list since the game launched just for a moment like this.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »