Home

Curveball...rising?

This is a discussion on Curveball...rising? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-23-2018, 02:10 AM   #1
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
Curveball...rising?

Why do curveballs rise after being released from the pitchers hand in this game? It should look like a fastball then the break/rotation kicks in.

To me, this makes hitting breaking pitches so difficult as I'm following the ball from the release point so that brief rise messes up the plane and where I expect the pitch to go. Perhaps its an issue that early/late release points aren't accurately reflected in the game so this is the adaptation?

Ideally, any pitch should look the EXACT same until the break/rotation kicks in...whether it be a 2-seamer, change, slider or curve.

Maybe it's me but it's just frustrating, especially the high breaking pitches I should crush.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2018, 05:31 AM   #2
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Curveball...rising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Why do curveballs rise after being released from the pitchers hand in this game? It should look like a fastball then the break/rotation kicks in.

To me, this makes hitting breaking pitches so difficult as I'm following the ball from the release point so that brief rise messes up the plane and where I expect the pitch to go. Perhaps its an issue that early/late release points aren't accurately reflected in the game so this is the adaptation?

Ideally, any pitch should look the EXACT same until the break/rotation kicks in...whether it be a 2-seamer, change, slider or curve.

Maybe it's me but it's just frustrating, especially the high breaking pitches I should crush.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
When i played baseball most curve balls seemed to rise a bit and had more of an arc to them. Especially since the pitcher is on a mound it adds to the effect. Sliders and cutters looked more like a fastball until they slid or cut away. Curve balls rarely looked like a fastball to me. It was more of a consistent arc/change of pace pitch than a 'fool you into thinking its a fastball' pitch. To me, curve balls in the game are very similar to what i saw at least.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
When i played baseball most curve balls seemed to rise a bit and had more of an arc to them. Especially since the pitcher is on a mound it adds to the effect. Sliders and cutters looked more like a fastball until they slid or cut away. Curve balls rarely looked like a fastball to me. It was more of a consistent arc/change of pace pitch than a 'fool you into thinking its a fastball' pitch. To me, curve balls in the game are very similar to what i saw at least.
Same as I recollect. The slider usually looked more like the fastball coming out of the pitcher's hand (I don't know when I played if they called anything a cutter back then). The curve usually did have a rise to it to start and if expecting the express your weight may be shifted too early. I'm wondering though is the game exaggerating this too much in your opinion?

I did face a guy usually came 3/4 who suddenly dropped down on me and threw some kind of pitch that started at my hands and wound up high and away toward the lefty's batters box. I was so committed for the heat and the pitch starting inside I was almost falling over as it sailed up and away from me with the bat coming forward so I just threw the bat at it. Managed to get a piece to stay alive. THen grounded out
Old 06-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
Same as I recollect. The slider usually looked more like the fastball coming out of the pitcher's hand (I don't know when I played if they called anything a cutter back then). The curve usually did have a rise to it to start and if expecting the express your weight may be shifted too early. I'm wondering though is the game exaggerating this too much in your opinion?

I did face a guy usually came 3/4 who suddenly dropped down on me and threw some kind of pitch that started at my hands and wound up high and away toward the lefty's batters box. I was so committed for the heat and the pitch starting inside I was almost falling over as it sailed up and away from me with the bat coming forward so I just threw the bat at it. Managed to get a piece to stay alive. THen grounded out
If you're asking me it doesn't seem exaggerated. A lot of depends on the type of curveball also. Location of the pitch is another factor. If the pitch ends up high in the zone, it will seem like there is more arc, making the pitch appear to "rise" more before it drops. If the pitch ends up in the dirt outside, it may seem more sliderish by perception.

It also depends on how hard that particular pitcher throws his curveball. Some pitchers even get down in the 60's, which will have much more arc than a curveball thrown in the 80's.

As far as the exaggeration is concerned, most of us hit from a much lower perspective in the Show than the real life hitter would see. If we hit from a catcher's height, that arc will seem more exaggerated just because of the viewing angle.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #5

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Because curvballs rise:

What you're describing would be a slider or a sinker though your description that every pitch should look exactly like a fastball "until the break" is very wrong. Any pitch that has a break will look drastically different with the spin of the ball.

The only pitches that would look exactly like a fastball until the movement kicks in would be a changeup, or a really well thrown splitter (depending on the type).

EDIT: Regarding the video, make sure to watch it through before judgement. They show multiple shots of the pitch with it being slowed down more and more. Once you get to the slowest shots towards the end of the video, compare the break to the background green screen and the pole. You can see it gradually go up before going down.

When throwing a curveball, you're literally rolling it over fingers to create lift before the drop (with a 12-6). I could never throw one because they are not easy to throw at a high level like the above example. They are really easy to hang if you don't release it perfectly.

At most levels of baseball, what people refer to as a curveball is much closer to a slurve.

Last edited by kehlis; 06-23-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

Here is an even better video (IMO) Justin Verlander's nasty curve. You can clearly see it rise before the bottom falls out of it.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
MVP

You can watch Kershaw curveball compilations on YouTube too. Notice the arc, then imagine what it would look like from the lower camera view behind the plate, with the pitcher standing 10 inches above ground level.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
Rookie

I was never a good pitcher but I remember when trying to throw a curveball I would actually “aim” high. If you want to throw it for a strike, you need to get some height at the point of release.

I could never really throw a true curve and opted for a split finger and circle change instead. I could also throw a slider... never tried to throw that for a strike though. That’s the pitch that you want to “look like a fastball” and then break down and away, out of the zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »