Home

Shopmaster Interview with Ben Haumiller Part 2

This is a discussion on Shopmaster Interview with Ben Haumiller Part 2 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Shopmaster Interview with Ben Haumiller Part 2

https://youtu.be/F9i2n5xogO4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Shopmaster Interview with Ben Haumiller Part 2

Highlights

1. Draft takes place in fictional city, your selected player magically appears on screen in full uniform
2. Ben admits they are WOEFULLY behind on contracts
3. Ben admits they are WOEFULLY behind on offering roles such as coordinators
4. No new Super Bowl presentation
5. Talks about the new depth chart positions
6. Formation Subs override packages then depth chart
7. No update on formation subs not working in custom playbooks
8. 100% Scheme Fit DOESN'T EQUAL a +5 Overall Boost Across the Board
9. Ben wishes they could build in something that takes how long a team has been together
10.The game will automatically make sure your Power HB is in Power HB Formations, and your Scat/Receiving Back will be in the Proper formations as well
11. Companion App needs to get stronger, not there yet to do everything in the game, in the app
12. Ben iterates they are "FRANCHISE GUYS" even though it may seem they aren't at times.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

thanks for the list. he also said better contracts and coordinators were near the top of the list of things they want to add to franchise mode. he mentioned how fun it was on NCAA football to start out as a coordinator and would like to bring that to Madden.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

There’s been some confusion about Snapshots, Ben says here in a online franchise you will see snapshots from other users games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

I really appreciate Ben's honesty and clarity in this interview. This is incredibly refreshing as a franchise player. Also, major thanks to L.O.B. for the summary.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Me personally, I am getting tired of the excuses. I know he didn't use the excuse of resources/dev team size in this specific instance but this has been the madden dev team go to excuse for years.

Madden makes hundred of millions of dollars for EA every year (don't let them lie to you). Why else would they host madden bowls and other tournaments with cash rewards. This game is turning a profit literally every single year. I am not even get started on how much ultimate team brings in for them.

If EA wasn't so greedy and just increased the dev team and resource money for just one cycle I am sure they could gain ground on knocking out several legacy issues such as contracts. They would not even come close to taking a loss for that one dev cycle.

Honestly I am super on the fence about buying this year (haven't missed a year in almost 22 years). I am thinking about speaking with my wallet for a change. I roll my eyes everytime I hear the resources financials excuse. There is absolutely now reason on this generation of consoles the highest grossing American sports game, and second most grossing sports game overall should have a franchise mode light years behind other games.

Ben may very well care, burn EA absolutely does not and they have final say. As long as ultimate scheme keeps churning out money like a money printing machine their attitude will always be "what for ?"

Last edited by Therebelyell626; 06-15-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Rookie

Super disappointed with the information presented in this part 2. Let me preface by saying I really appreciate the tone though coming from Ben. He didn't make excuses or provide some of the typical run around when admitting that certain features aren't changed this year and overall the level of transparency has been NIGHT AND DAY compared to last year when we didn't get any information, gameplay or a peep from EA until just a few weeks before release. This team listens and clearly wants to communicate and interact with this very passionate community.

That said I can't say I'm happy to see that scouting and contracts both remain completely unchanged, companion app still doesn't do anything other than advance the league and I'm not holding my breath that formation subs actually work this year with custom playbooks or in general or even stops flipping the formation to a mirror image of it. No coordinators either. These are major issues that have been passed over year after year.

I do want to end my post though with optimism rather than hate/pessimism though because I personally really like many of the other updates, especially schemes, archtypes and thank the dear holy lord for the new progression system to prevent cheesing in player progression. This will really play so much better in my 32 man cfm. I liked the gameplay of 18 and had fun playing the game in my cfm. I felt it was probably the strongest effort from the gameplay side that we've had in YEARS and think the other gameplay changes will only tighten up a good situation on both sides of the ball plus the 11 new attributes further clarify ratings which I like a ton (even if some of them used to exist it is good that we finally have those areas back in blocking). I really look forward to playing this year's game I just wish that we had more information and assurance that the major areas of need listed above will be addressed next year which we don't have. Scouting and contracts desperately need a major overhaul and its been the same since Madden 15.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
Me personally, I am getting tired of the excuses. I know he didn't use the excuse of resources/dev team size in this specific instance but this has been the madden dev team go to excuse for years.

Madden makes hundred of millions of dollars for EA every year (don't let them lie to you). Why else would they host madden bowls and other tournaments with cash rewards. This game is turning a profit literally every single year. I am not even get started on how much ultimate team brings in for them.

If EA wasn't so greedy and just increased the dev team and resource money for just one cycle I am sure they could gain ground on knocking out several legacy issues such as contracts. They would not even come close to taking a loss for that one dev cycle.

Honestly I am super on the fence about buying this year (haven't missed a year in almost 22 years). I am thinking about speaking with my wallet for a change. I roll my eyes everytime I hear the resources financials excuse. There is absolutely now reason on this generation of consoles the highest grossing American sports game, and second most grossing sports game overall should have a franchise mode light years behind other games.

Ben may very well care, burn EA absolutely does not and they have final say. As long as ultimate scheme keeps churning out money like a money printing machine their attitude will always be "what for ?"

I agree with you here, Madden is almost a 30 year old franchise, they make a ton of money every year especially on MUT, they should be able to get all the resources they need to build a great game. Seems not enough resources are being allocated towards Madden each year or maybe they just dont have the talent? I'm not sure what the hold up is but it shouldn't take this long to add simple features like contracts, weather, camera angle, coordinators, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »