Home

Enough with the predictable foul balls!!!

This is a discussion on Enough with the predictable foul balls!!! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
Rookie

BBallBryan23's Arena

OVR: 0
Enough with the predictable foul balls!!!

I hope many of you can sympathize with me here, but it seems like 4-5 times a game when I am pitching, I'll get locked into a hitter who will foul off any pitch I throw to him. It is absolutely maddening because 1.) I have the foul ball slider turned all the way down, and 2.) I am a busy guy who doesn't have that much time to play games with 15-20 extra unnecessary pitches because the game decides to predetermine when a CPU hitter will foul off pitch after pitch.

Does anyone else have this problem and/or does anyone have any suggestions of how to help this other than what I'm already doing?

I understand this happens often in baseball and is a big part of the game, but enough is enough here lol.

NCAA - Kansas Jayhawks
MLB - Kansas City Royals, Colorado Rockies
NFL - Kansas City Chiefs, Green Bay Packers
NBA - Milwaukee Bucks, Memphis Grizzlies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
Pro

shark547's Arena

Re: Enough with the predictable foul balls!!!

I am with you! Always seems like there is one at bat a game that goes at least 10 pitches. I had the worst one a couple weeks ago. 19 pitches. I finally struck him out.

I am not sure if it has to do with difficulty levels or what the deal is there.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
Rookie

I don’t mind that it happens as much as I do that it feels so forced and predetermined to occur. Like some algorithm kicks in and all of the sudden the game has to do this.

The worst part is when the cpu will swing at all of those pitches and spoil them, but put one on a border that he should swing at just to defend the plate and they’ll take it and you never get the called 3rd strike.

These are the same types of at bats where people give up that late game dinger and call it comeback code.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

I don't have a set number of pitches in mind, but if I feel like it's going to be one of those at-bats I just hit the guy and get the next one to ground out.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallBryan23
1.) I have the foul ball slider turned all the way down
Foul frequency is mostly for those "borderline" swings with how close to the edge they can be and still produce a fair ball (or contact at all). If a swing is "clearly foul", it's just going to be foul. Likewise if it's "clearly fair".

I have at 0 for both sides also and get these kinds of "grinder" PAs sometimes - both for/against me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallBryan23
Does anyone else have this problem and/or does anyone have any suggestions of how to help this other than what I'm already doing?

Most of the time I start throwing significantly out of the zone away, in, or up (down, too, if no one on base...don't want to risk a WP otherwise and pitches in the dirt are more likely). Either he'll chase something and strike out, I'll (accidentally) hit him, or it becomes an "unintentional intentional walk" and I'm done with him in less pitches, trading pitches saved for a walk.

And if he happens to get a hit/put it in play somehow, that's fine, too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

If you're playing with contact slider @ default 5, try bumping it down a notch to 4. But, even if you don't have time for an extra 20 pitches, that's baseball and occasionally you are going to see a 10-plus pitch AB

A Work in Progress
Old 05-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
Pro

shark547's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
If you're playing with contact slider @ default 5, try bumping it down a notch to 4. But, even if you don't have time for an extra 20 pitches, that's baseball and occasionally you are going to see a 10-plus pitch AB
I think the issue is that it happens too often. You can pretty much tell when it is going to happen 4 pitches in.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
Rookie

kaptainkarl76's Arena

OVR: 1

For me it's usually 2 quick outs followed by a marathon 10-12 pitch at-bat that either winds up in a hit or a walk..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »