Home

NBA 2K18 MyGM Review/NBA 2K19 MyGM Wishlist

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 MyGM Review/NBA 2K19 MyGM Wishlist within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
NBA 2K18 MyGM Review/NBA 2K19 MyGM Wishlist

Hello Everyone I just wanted to share my review on the NBA 2k18 MyGM mode and give my opinion on some things I would like to see in the next MyGM mode in 2k19. To begin with, I have played the MyGM mode for several years now, formerly known as the "Association" 2K12 is where I first started a serious franchise . Aside from 2K12 I've also done it in 2K16 and 2K18, I play every game with 12 minute quarters which lessen the amount of seasons I am able to play but increase the immersion factor for me. With every new iteration of NBA 2K the MyGM has brought new, exciting, and innovative features each year to keep users entertain and immerse. Although MyLeague is probably the more played game mode out of the two, I still prefer MyGM for the RPG style mode which keep user immersed. Managing players/staff emotions, Owners goals, dealing with the press, and etc.. all will keep you coming back to this game mode if this is the one for you. I feel like this year the MyGM does not get the credit it deserve even though its still one of the best franchise modes. There is many topics I want to cover but do not want this to run on too long, so lets get right into it.

The first thing I want to cover which was the big addition in MyGM was the new story mode. This was a huge addition for the MyGM mode and it leads to a new door to show the future of MyGM, not only does MyCareer have a story mode but now MyGM does too. Before I lightly delve into the story I would like to warn those reading that they're spoilers ahead pertaining to the MyGM story. Now that's out of the way lets talk about the the pros and cons of the story, beginning with the cons, the story kind of seems to be somewhat weird but interesting. There were so many different things going on from the owner wanting to move cities, scouts, trade talks, and failing buisness which eventually leads back to the original owner buying the team back. Looking back at it now the story seemed to bit all over the place which is fine for me because you never knew what to expect next. But the biggest gripe for me during the story mode was when the [spoiler] son owner now the assistant GM trades players away at the deadline in order to impress his dad or fulfill his wishes. I played with the Miami Heat and was frustrated with the owner's son as he traded my up and coming prospect Josh Richardson with Udonis Haslem who planned to retire after the season as he told me in a earlier portion of the season. Two vital heat players traded for Maresse Speights who the owner could not get over himself for only because he had one of highest PER. This ultimately was a con because I had no idea who he would trade and when I did find out it messed with what I wanted to build with for the future. Not only was I a frustrated with this move but many others were too as in a previous thread of mine. Hopefully the story mode, if there is one for next year does not trade away any of your players. Now onto the Pros, it takes a step into a new direction it allows users to become immerse with the game mode and attract users who have never played it before. The crazy story line made it interesting to watch and gave me a satisfaction when I was able to fire the assistant GM for good. Another pro is that owners effects in the story line also affects surrounding features of the mode. For example during the season the owner decided to raise ticket prices by $10 dollars and with this decision came angered fans and the press asking why the price change at a weird time. At this point I played it off like nothing happened and it didn't have an effect but to my surprise when checking the ticket prices for the team the prices were actually raise by $10 dollars and netted us a profit towards the end of the season but this was impressive that 2K went the extra step to make these changes were reflected in the financial side, not just in the story mode. The story overall was a bit below par but still somewhat impressive for them to add a story in MyGM.

Probably the next biggest thing here I want to touch on is the analytics, to sum up in short the analytics of MyGM is speechless. There are so many in depth stats and records kept by 2K it's just unbelievable I could look at how a certain player performed in a month on the road vs the 76ers that's how in depth it gets. Not only that but I could also see how team defensive rating was back in 06 against a certain team, this is probably my favorite feature of MyGM just looking at all the numbers and seeing who did what in a period of time. Before I end this short topic off I also wanted to talk about the new Data Analytics tool which ridiculously good. At first the tool is a challenge to work because they ask you for a lot of information and it could kinda get over whelming but after you get the hang of it you'll be able to find your perfect player. I still prefer the player finder tool which has been around for a while now but that tool has always helped me find the players I wanted more easier. In the video I have listed below it should touch a bit more on the statistics side.

Lastly before I get into my wish list I wanted to talk about the immersion factor in this game. I can't tell you how many hours I wasted just looking at new information in the mode, playing the game, or handling the staff. There are many more tasks to perform in MyGM but those are some of the basics. Handling a team and trying to build the perfect roster with a limited cap made you think about your decisions not only because of the cap but also because of the player morale's and team chemistry. It seems like nothing is independent but dependent on an action you perform, like changing ticket prices will lead to press questioning you, fan attendance rises or fall, or outraged twitter fans tweeting at the team. Everything seems to at least hold a hand in relation to each other. Heading to the offseason you can expect to spend a good amount of time there also depending if you are rebuilding or contending, nothing has really changed here but with the addition of rule changes, F.A moratorium has made things interesting in the offseason. These features aren't to major but still is very nice to have in a game and shows the devs extra mile after the finish line. I haven't seen the offseason changed to much but there isn't a need to the way is ran is fined F.A, Lottery picks, combine, draft, etc.... are vital to the offseason and the immersion factor.

I want to quickly end this review as I also have a 30 minute video on MyGM and wouldn't want to keept you guys too long, but basically I'm impressed with MyGM and haven't been let down yet I hope the devs continue to push to break barriers for franchise modes.

Wish List (No Particular Order)

- A full replay of the whole game with different camera views after the game has been played. I believe this can lead to better content instead of everyone playing on 2K Cam, but the ability to replay every bucket is nice on here also.

-Viewing Gameday Promotion. I would like to see the gameday promotion in a form of a cutscene if possible. I would like to see the million-dollar shot during halftime and if he makes it takes $1 million of our profit away. Just like the free t-shirt promotion I would love to see the crowd wear one shirt during the game or the seats covered with shirts.

-Information on how to get certain badges. This is probably one of the most important things for me on here. I always want the Data Analytics Firm badge but can never seem to get it, I wish there was more clarification of how to get badges.

-Fixing of the coach gameplan. The coach gameplan do not really work, setting up matches in the MyGM work but making offensive/defensive adjustments in the MyGM menu then going into a game it seems like it resets in game and I have to restart everything now. If anyone want to see this I will provide a video if asked.

-Arena Upgrades. The only way to upgrade the arena is to fake create a new team so you can upgrade the facilities through the team relocation menu. I wish there was an option in the offseason asking you what would you like to upgrade to make things more simpler.

-Larger MyLeague Community. This I would have to say is also important. A lot of people have a MyLeague but it's just them playing, I would love to see more professional online leagues with 30/30 users I believe this can grow the community for franchise. Something like what the guys at Pro am are doing or the MBL Madden bomber League. If we can bring the community together things should get interesting.

-Bring back MyGM tutorial from 2K16, yes 2k Devs this is needed for new comers who are the most caught with the game mode. It also helped me because there were some things I did not know in there.

Thank you guys for reading, watching, or both and hopefully 2K19 MyGM will blow us away once again.

Link to video review (30 min)

https://youtu.be/EMPoR0HiQpQ
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »